ac cord

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I am guessing when you say ac cord you means 240Vac mains cord.

There is no mention in the ebay ad of voltage rating of the insulation. It may well be adequate.

I think UK mains cables are rated to 600V or so.
Mains cables must be double insulated. Whether the teflon over kapton counts as double insulation, I cannot advise.

If you make up a three core mains cable I would seriously consider how you can arrange an overall robust insulation layer that can withstand repeated abuse.

Arrange adequate fusing before this cable and in addition consider RCCB protection.

Hi,
twist into a triplet just like a comventional mains cable and you get minimum spacing. This results in maximum capacitance and minimum inductance.
Plaiting forces a much wider spacing of the cores and results in less capacitance and more inductance.

If you believe that the main advantage of the exotic cables comes from the filtering effect of inductance in the cable before the line to line caps in the equipment then plaiting will attenuate the inteference more than the twisted triplet.

I realize that I'm inviting a flame war here, but -

if changing the AC cord does anything to change the sound of whatever component it is serving as the conduit of power for, then that component has a poorly designed power supply.

Why should a few feet of AC cable, or "hospital grade" AC outlets, or any other such stuff inside the house magically correct for all of the RF and other noise that is coupled into the miles of power lines between the generation plant and your house? Or the noise coupled into your power line from the ancient motor in your neighbor's refrigerator or vacuum cleaner?

Think about it - if the parasitic R-L-C of a few feet of AC cable built of some exotic wire and construction makes a difference, then the power supply is not doing an adequate job of converting AC to DC, providing bulk capacitance for peak current loads, and/or filtering out RF or other power line noise.

mightydub said:
I realize that I'm inviting a flame war here, but -

if changing the AC cord does anything to change the sound of whatever component it is serving as the conduit of power for, then that component has a poorly designed power supply.

You are certainly right. Unfortunately these are the only ps designs we know. If anyone can suggest a PS design that completely rejects the PC effects it will be the greatest achievement of audio this century.

Curiously, regeneration, as known does not eliminate PC effects. No idea if 'never connected' does but i'm not holding my breath.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.