parasound input conversion - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd February 2007, 04:07 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default parasound input conversion

Does any know if i can convert my Parasound HCA 1200II inputs to Balanced??..IE true balanced input circuit.

My problem is long cable runs and all my other gear..
CODA, BRYSTON, CROWN, RANE..IS BALANCED.

I do not want use transfomers or convertors. they all add noise compressions and grain .

I HATE TO BUY A NEW AMP$$$

I currently tri-amp my system and want to use the Para as my top end amp. Uh simply because I have it.
Old 1st March 2007, 03:25 AM   #2
gni is offline gni  United States
diyAudio Member

It seems the only two options are high quality transformers
or
Some sort of op-amp or discrete circuit.

Try http://sound.westhost.com/
Old 1st March 2007, 04:00 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

balanced to unbalanced input stage:
Attached Images
File Type: gif balancedopamp.gif (3.8 KB, 367 views)
Old 1st March 2007, 01:55 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

OK WHAT DO I DO WITH IT??

I CAN SOLDER.... AND DRILL HOLES...

WHAT OPAMPS DO I USE?? WHERE DO IT GO ON THE BOARD??

WHERE DO I GET POWER TO OP AMPS FROM??

WHERE IS BEST PLACE FOR GROUNDS??
Old 1st March 2007, 01:57 PM   #5
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

I'll try a second time.
Using All CAPS is considered as shouting in internet communication; I'm sure you don't have that intention so please turn them off.

/Hugo
Old 1st March 2007, 07:22 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Imstoopid: " ... WHAT OPAMPS DO I USE?? WHERE DO IT GO ON THE BOARD?? ..."

Well, you could consider my "avatar logo" to the left = the Analog Devices AD825: http://www.analog.com/UploadedFiles/...eets/AD825.pdf ... lots of suggestions for power connections, etc.

This one is also kind of cool: http://www.analog.com/UploadedFiles/..._8629_8630.pdf = 4 audio quality op-amps in one package ... enough op-amp stages to do the balanced to unbalanced circuit (needs 3 op-amps per channel)

" ... WHERE DO I GET POWER TO OP AMPS FROM?? ... WHERE IS BEST PLACE FOR GROUNDS?? ..."

Get the evaluation boards from the chip maker(s) ... or take a look her at DIYAudio.com for op-amp circuit building technics, etc. I have built lots of audio parts from perf board / point to point wiring for single and dual channel op-amps ... just add a power supply = for audio work use +/- 12 to +/-15 VDC = better results, golden ear wise ... for power supplies take a look at: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/forum...?s=&forumid=67 ... or just use a pair of 9 volt batteries = +/- 9VDC ...

(" Using All CAPS is considered as shouting in internet communication; ..." It may also indicate that you are using an Atari to generate your messages ... )
Old 11th March 2007, 06:07 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

a newer Rotel, Carver, or Byrston, or Halo..

next question..

I have 2 RANE AC22B crossovers that I am going to MOD seriously for my tri amped system..

Battery supply is a must for these units and My AC POWER SUX and I am bombarded by industrial and Airport RF..

Somebody here did a nice dual +-+ 12V batter setup with circuit schems and cap parts list and I can't find it..
I have tons of wet led acid batteries(I have already taken care of sealing and venting for indoor use) the I can configure in +/- 6,12, or 18V.

Where I need help is the Rane is +/- 15V supply. Can I change the Tl072 op amps or will 12 V suffice in Driving this unit?

http://www.rane.com/pdf/ac22bsch.pdf

I am eventually going to build a Bryston 10B copy.. I have 1..
Unless the Rane mods turn out exceptionally good

or something off Linkswitz's page.

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/images/graphics/38xo_eq1.gif

I'd like to be able to use the Batteries to run those.

I can attach pics and schems later if needed

Do I need to post this somewhere else??

Thanks for the help..
I am a long time audiophile with a ME degree..
My limited EE circuit knowledge has all but left me but I am slowly getting there.
Old 12th March 2007, 02:30 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

" ... Where I need help is the Rane is +/- 15V supply. Can I change the Tl072 op amps or will 12 V suffice in Driving this unit? ..."

That Rane is a nice unit, pro level gear meant for the studio or stage and will do a wonder on your home stereo ( http://www.rane.com/pdf/ac22bdat.pdf )

.... so I would try to find a way to get your +/- 15 VDC, so as to maintain the headroom and dynamics of the existing circuits, filters and op-amps.

According to the data sheet it comes with an external supply. You could use a DC to DC converter of some sort and run it from a single +12 VDC Lead/Acid battery. The unit is marked on the back as requiring 160 milliAmps so designing for around 25 watts, so it runs real cool, is a good thing. Is yours different than the specs & docs. in the link above? ... less than 0.2 amps times +/- 15 VDC [30 volts] =~ 15 watts load.

1) Move this thread over to the Power Supply arena as you probably don't have to even open the Rane chassis ... The kids over there have lots of savie for this relatively easy project.

2) Make sure you want to run this from batteries as a well behaved "plug in the wall" supply would be easier and IMOP produce just as good a result, maybe better (cost about =, same/same) ... dispite your problems with EMF and power line noise. (It might be that all you have to do to get this puppy to quiet down is to get a replacement supply ... no?)

Your other question: "... Does any know if i can convert my Parasound HCA 1200II inputs to Balanced??.. IE true balanced input circuit. ..." is one I'm struggling with as well. I spend considerable time tweaking and thinking about pro gear and it is all balanced for good reason = quieter lines between the pre-amps active crossovers and amps (bi-amping being a real pleasure to tweak for the room considerations (and for use in the outdoors). I have come to the conclusion that the best and more practical way to do unbalanced (RCA type connections) to balanced (usually XLR connections) without getting inside the chassis(es) is with quality pro audio grade transformers. My friend at AussieAmplifiers.com in Australia says he does it with gadgets like these: http://www.jensen-transformers.com/d...s/11ssp7mp.pdf ... there are cheaper, but few better. Passive transformers like these work in both directions = bal. to unbal. & unbalanced to balanced ...

This may be the real reason for all of your power line noise ... trying to hook a lot of balanced gear to unbalanced sources (and/or destinations) ...
Old 12th March 2007, 10:34 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

NO MY AC LINES ARE WAY OUT OF SPEC LIKE 4.5%THD AND THE POWER COMPANY WON'T FIX IT..

NOT TO MENTION ALL THE SURGES AND OTHER NASTIES FOR 2 INDUSTIRAL PARKS WITHIN 3 MILES OF MY HOUSE

Transformers are not an option on my interconnects..I hate the sound of em.. tried em don't like em..

that;'s why all my gear is balanced.. The parasound is going and i'll get another amp.

I'll my line leve will be eventually battery powered..No since converting to DC when you don't need to.. and 4 to 8 (6v-12V) wet lead/acid batteries will supply all the power I'll ever need..

I am working on transformer fix for my amps but I have (2) Crown k2's
(1) carver signature and (1) Bryston 4bsst.. that's like 6000 watts to power!!! All of it is wired 240V!!!

No I need some help with that crossover and battery circuit

PLEASE?????
Old 12th March 2007, 10:43 PM   #10
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

You've been asked not to use the caps lock.

Hide this!Advertise here!