parasound input conversion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does any know if i can convert my Parasound HCA 1200II inputs to Balanced??..IE true balanced input circuit.

My problem is long cable runs and all my other gear..
CODA, BRYSTON, CROWN, RANE..IS BALANCED.

I do not want use transfomers or convertors. they all add noise compressions and grain .

I HATE TO BUY A NEW AMP$$$

I currently tri-amp my system and want to use the Para as my top end amp. Uh simply because I have it.

balanced to unbalanced input stage:

Attachments

• balancedopamp.gif
    balancedopamp.gif
    3.8 KB · Views: 400
Imstoopid: " ... WHAT OPAMPS DO I USE?? WHERE DO IT GO ON THE BOARD?? ..."

Well, you could consider my "avatar logo" to the left = the Analog Devices AD825: http://www.analog.com/UploadedFiles/Data_Sheets/AD825.pdf ... lots of suggestions for power connections, etc.

This one is also kind of cool: http://www.analog.com/UploadedFiles/Data_Sheets/AD8628_8629_8630.pdf = 4 audio quality op-amps in one package ... enough op-amp stages to do the balanced to unbalanced circuit (needs 3 op-amps per channel)

" ... WHERE DO I GET POWER TO OP AMPS FROM?? ... WHERE IS BEST PLACE FOR GROUNDS?? ..."

Get the evaluation boards from the chip maker(s) ... or take a look her at DIYAudio.com for op-amp circuit building technics, etc. I have built lots of audio parts from perf board / point to point wiring for single and dual channel op-amps ... just add a power supply = for audio work use +/- 12 to +/-15 VDC = better results, golden ear wise ... for power supplies take a look at: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=67 ... or just use a pair of 9 volt batteries = +/- 9VDC ...

:smash:

(" Using All CAPS is considered as shouting in internet communication; ..." It may also indicate that you are using an Atari to generate your messages ... :whazzat: )

a newer Rotel, Carver, or Byrston, or Halo..

next question..

I have 2 RANE AC22B crossovers that I am going to MOD seriously for my tri amped system..

Battery supply is a must for these units and My AC POWER SUX and I am bombarded by industrial and Airport RF..

Somebody here did a nice dual +-+ 12V batter setup with circuit schems and cap parts list and I can't find it..
I have tons of wet led acid batteries(I have already taken care of sealing and venting for indoor use) the I can configure in +/- 6,12, or 18V.

Where I need help is the Rane is +/- 15V supply. Can I change the Tl072 op amps or will 12 V suffice in Driving this unit?

http://www.rane.com/pdf/ac22bsch.pdf

I am eventually going to build a Bryston 10B copy.. I have 1..
Unless the Rane mods turn out exceptionally good

or something off Linkswitz's page.

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/images/graphics/38xo_eq1.gif

I'd like to be able to use the Batteries to run those.

I can attach pics and schems later if needed

Do I need to post this somewhere else??

Thanks for the help..
I am a long time audiophile with a ME degree..
My limited EE circuit knowledge has all but left me but I am slowly getting there.

" ... Where I need help is the Rane is +/- 15V supply. Can I change the Tl072 op amps or will 12 V suffice in Driving this unit? ..."

That Rane is a nice unit, pro level gear meant for the studio or stage and will do a wonder on your home stereo ( http://www.rane.com/pdf/ac22bdat.pdf )

.... so I would try to find a way to get your +/- 15 VDC, so as to maintain the headroom and dynamics of the existing circuits, filters and op-amps.

According to the data sheet it comes with an external supply. You could use a DC to DC converter of some sort and run it from a single +12 VDC Lead/Acid battery. The unit is marked on the back as requiring 160 milliAmps so designing for around 25 watts, so it runs real cool, is a good thing. Is yours different than the specs & docs. in the link above? ... less than 0.2 amps times +/- 15 VDC [30 volts] =~ 15 watts load.

1) Move this thread over to the Power Supply arena as you probably don't have to even open the Rane chassis ... The kids over there have lots of savie for this relatively easy project.

2) Make sure you want to run this from batteries as a well behaved "plug in the wall" supply would be easier and IMOP produce just as good a result, maybe better (cost about =, same/same) ... dispite your problems with EMF and power line noise. (It might be that all you have to do to get this puppy to quiet down is to get a replacement supply ... no?)

Your other question: "... Does any know if i can convert my Parasound HCA 1200II inputs to Balanced??.. IE true balanced input circuit. ..." is one I'm struggling with as well. I spend considerable time tweaking and thinking about pro gear and it is all balanced for good reason = quieter lines between the pre-amps active crossovers and amps (bi-amping being a real pleasure to tweak for the room considerations (and for use in the outdoors). I have come to the conclusion that the best and more practical way to do unbalanced (RCA type connections) to balanced (usually XLR connections) without getting inside the chassis(es) is with quality pro audio grade transformers. My friend at AussieAmplifiers.com in Australia says he does it with gadgets like these: http://www.jensen-transformers.com/datashts/11ssp7mp.pdf ... there are cheaper, but few better. Passive transformers like these work in both directions = bal. to unbal. & unbalanced to balanced ...

This may be the real reason for all of your power line noise ... trying to hook a lot of balanced gear to unbalanced sources (and/or destinations) ...

NO MY AC LINES ARE WAY OUT OF SPEC LIKE 4.5%THD AND THE POWER COMPANY WON'T FIX IT..

NOT TO MENTION ALL THE SURGES AND OTHER NASTIES FOR 2 INDUSTIRAL PARKS WITHIN 3 MILES OF MY HOUSE

Transformers are not an option on my interconnects..I hate the sound of em.. tried em don't like em..

that;'s why all my gear is balanced.. The parasound is going and i'll get another amp.

I'll my line leve will be eventually battery powered..No since converting to DC when you don't need to.. and 4 to 8 (6v-12V) wet lead/acid batteries will supply all the power I'll ever need..

I am working on transformer fix for my amps but I have (2) Crown k2's
(1) carver signature and (1) Bryston 4bsst.. that's like 6000 watts to power!!! All of it is wired 240V!!!

No I need some help with that crossover and battery circuit

PLEASE?????

" ... will be eventually battery powered. ... I need some help with that crossover and battery circuit ..."

" ... less than 0.2 amps times +/- 15 VDC [30 volts] =~ 15 watts load.

" ... 1) Move this thread over to the Power Supply arena as you probably don't have to even open the Rane chassis ... The kids over there have lots of savie for this relatively easy project. ..."

The Rane will actually operate from +/- 12 VDC without problems (other than slightly reduced headroom at the op-amps) ... just adapt a pair of lead acid batteries to the power input connector. I would also put a circuit breaker and master switch console somewhere in your equipment cabinet as you will need it if you convert your other low level devices over to this. (Harley Davidson motorcycle batteries will power the Rane for more than 24 hours without a recharge = but I would keep 'em on a trickle charger that is plugged in the wall and add some high performance caps to the power connection at the Rane end to take the edge off of the trickle charger. :smash:

i was thinking of 24Vdc fork lift batteries

and making up soem good d/d convertors
that way i can get whatever voltage I want

Off to the power supply section I go

I have 2 Bryston 10b;'s be fun to compare the Rane and Bryston in stock form..

I'm searching for a good 100W amp for the mid/tweet section..
Suggestions???

Mccormack Dna 125?

CJ 2250

Parasound halo a 23??

"a good 100W amp for the mid/tweet section" = my choice would be an amp module for each speaker set. If the speaker seperation (distance) is to be very large, then "self powered" bi-amped speakers with built in amps might be considered (with XLR cabling from the pre-amp if long cables are needed). Take a look at aussieamplifiers.com = the NX150 series.

Any 12 volts lead acid type batteries, a pair in series for that 24+ VDC for a regulated +/- 12 VDC rail setup would do it, motorcycle batteries or fork lift deep cycle batteries. The idea being to have a 24/7/365 DC source that is maintained from the wall socket ... the batteries acting as energy storage as well as bypass capacitance.

DC to DC conversion verses linear regulators !!??!! Some types of DC to DC are quite noisey, linears = not nearly so. :smash:

OUCH,.. I just looked at the price of the jensens..!!! $125+ ea channel

I am going with the 24 V fork truck batteries because I can kill one or two cells and get 16-20 V..
plus I can find suprplus ones cheap if they do have a dead cell.

that's later..

well the reason I said mid./tweet we beacuse i have a tri or quad amped system..

the speakers are either some MTM's or a Morel Mdm55/ vifa dnc55 combo..
depending on the speaker the "tweeter" amp will cross over between 1 k and 4K..

The mid bass and subs won't change

I'm also working on and nice 2.5KVA 240/120 iso transformer I had built for a studio o a few years ago..I have gotten back.. that I am going to try for now and put all my line level stuff on.

got to go tap tth power supply guys and see what kind of filter caps to put on the transformer,.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.