NAD 302 Improvements

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello I am new to this forum, and new to modding Hi-Fi. I have a NAD 302 integrated amplifier (12 years old) and have recently got some Elna Cerafine 63v 10000uf caps to replace the power caps, and have enough Elna caps coming from Welborne labs in America to replace all the other caps. I also have some 99.99% silver wire in 2m. 1mm,0.5mm and 0.315mm to replace all the internal wiring and negate the pre/pow jumpers. Firstly could someone direct me to a copy of the circuit diagram/component listing for this model and also recommend a potentiometer upgrade. Also I have been kindly given some Schottky diodes (dq10 I think) are these a direct replacement? they are about a 1/3 the size of the originals. Any other hints and tips would be greatfully recieved, thanks Ben Anderson.:)

Hi Ben,
Don't use the 11DQ10. They are rated at 1.1 Amps and are not really suitable for power amps. What are the markings on the originals? We can get the specs from that and choose accordingly. Failing that, you could always just get massively overrated devices. The debate on shottkys V's regular diodes in amplifiers goes on. I'm still not sure myself!

Have you got any photos of the interior available? It may make things easier, especially choosing a new pot.
Standard advice would be to get an ALPS Blue in there (reasonably priced but quality) if possible. But not sure about fitting.

Sorry to say that I don't have a schematic of this amp.

Regards,
Martin.

Hi,

Don't want to dissuade you from starting to do mods.

But, imho, the $$ spent on this old NAD would probably equal or get you most of the way there on a project for a new amplifier. Scratch built, from a PCB "kit", or a "kit" (PCB + Parts) or maybe even a full kit.

Given that CD/Tuner etc is all line level, you don't even need a preamp, just a suitable attenuator. That and maybe a switch, some RCAs, wire and a box so that it looks ok, and you can switch in different sources.

The are literally dozens of PCBs and semi kits here. Everything from Krell copies to Class A amps, Mosfet stuff, chipamps, through low power AB... take ur pick!

Not to mention the Pass designs too...

Just my 2 cents (US) worth... ymmv.

_-_-bear

The new caps fitted, excluding the large power caps which I have not decided on placement for yet.

Attachments

• newcapsfitted3.jpg
    newcapsfitted3.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 610
Thanks for your help, I finished rebuilding my amp last night having decided to strap the two large power caps to the top of the case and wire through the case with 2mm 99.99 silver wire to the board. I was surprised the thing worked straight off!. The sound is well beyond my expectations and I have been listening to it as much as possible with all sorts of music. It is obvious that the bandwidth has increased dramatically and the timing and bass are unrecognisable to the original. The best £160 I have ever spent on Hi-Fi for sure.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.