leach amp parts to-3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd February 2007, 10:58 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default leach amp parts to-3

any parts substitution for the mj15003/4 for the leach amp that's not to-3 as i got big sinks where its very complicate to mount them and i dont want to buy new ones

thanks
Old 22nd February 2007, 11:32 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I suggest MJL21193 / MJL21194.
Old 22nd February 2007, 03:39 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

hmm its 7,50€ per piece :/
maybe i should do an other amp, those output transistors are getting really expensive if you need more than 8 of them ...

is there maybe some SS amp with a better quality / money factor?

i know the reference guide, but i cant find all the transistors for krell50(though i'm very interested in doing a krell) , aska only offers kits and the leach amp, well i read good and bad things, but i think dr. leach knows what he does, but the transistors are a little exp., i dont like the aem6000, and i'm not sure what to think about elliot's and jhl. but jhl in original gets exp. too because i think its supposed to go with 6x60k uF. i like mr. pass designs -even did a zen - but only with horns - as they are sadly "source" amps, and thats not what i got/want(horns).

i'm able to spend 150-200 euro, but i'd like to save what i can =]. at least i got the heatsinks (and one 300va 25-0, 25-25 transformer).

thanks for any advice
Old 22nd February 2007, 03:52 PM   #4
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
200euros will buy you a chassis and some hardware.
You then have to source the amplifier and PSU and heatsinks.

If you can cobble together a home built chassis and source a lot of secondhand/cut price parts you may be able to manage a two channel amp for that budget. But not a Krell Klone.
The Leach will work with 2sa1943/c5200 but being just 150W devices with poor SOAR, 2pair will only do 8ohm from 40Vac and 3pair will manage 4ohm from 35Vac.
Old 22nd February 2007, 04:14 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

well forgot, i got the chassis, the connectors (phono plugs etc..), the heatsinks (though i think i wrote that), the switches etc. all the peripherics (if there is such a word =] ) and one 300va 25-0, 25-0 transformer (i'm not sure if i can use this one though) - so i'd "only" need the parts - and there must be something for around 150-200€ :/

ps: don't tell papa, but i took those bought for the zen i wanted to make/made =] )
Old 22nd February 2007, 05:17 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
ShanaVar,

do a search for posts by Sonnya.

(you're welcome to send me an email for help with your search for parts or grading my skills in typing your lingo.)
Old 22nd February 2007, 05:42 PM   #7
lineup is offline lineup  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default Re: leach amp parts to-3

Quote:
Originally posted by ShanaVar
any parts substitution for the mj15003/4 for the leach amp that's not to-3 as i got big sinks where its very complicate to mount them and i dont want to buy new ones

thanks
Quote:
Originally posted by sixtek
Hi,

I suggest MJL21193 / MJL21194.
I agree with sixtek.

MJ15024 MJ15025 TO-3 is a bit better than MJ15003 MJ15004

but if you can find them in TO-3
MJL21293 MJL21194 will be a real upgrade!

Regards
Lineup Audio Lab power devices
Old 22nd February 2007, 06:35 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

found the MJL21193 in to-264 (what is better, as moounting to-3 would mean real work and long cables on my sinks, as i'd have to drill a hole next to transistor and stuff the cable through ), i think i'll calculate the amp and hope i can get trough with my budged =], hope it turns out well, as i am tired and frustrated of looking around, and deciding, and looking, etc...

but im open for other suggestions

PS: just reading page 12 of sannyo, he did good job writing lotsa stuff ^^

regards,
Patrick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kuehlkoerper_mittel.jpg (7.3 KB, 200 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!