Carver C-1 Preamp Power Switch - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th February 2007, 08:32 PM   #1
Plundering the Planet From the Comfort of Home
diyAudio Member

Default Carver C-1 Preamp Power Switch

Here is the photo of the Alps TV-5 switch from this unit. It does not power up and I suspected the switch. When I depress the on button (not plugged in), shouldn't I get continuity across the incoming power (black leads near the ceramic cap)? Also, why is it that I'm reading an open circuit across the red and both white and black leads when the button is depressed (unit on) and continuity when the button is not depressed (unit off)?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg carver switch.jpg (67.6 KB, 234 views)
Old 18th February 2007, 09:55 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I disconnected both the red and white leads from the switch and with the power button depressed, I get the power on light and everything functioning. Anyone have any idea what I'm doing, because I don't!
Old 18th February 2007, 10:15 PM   #3
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi DreadPirate,
I'd have to look at the manual to answer your questions. But I have to ask, if you don't know what you are doing, why are you doing it???

That switch is unobtainium. Micron Electronics in Mississauga Ontario may possibly have one. Be prepared to pay for it if you need a switch.

That blue thingy is supposed to stop the contacts from arcing. The front part of the switch operates the muting circuit (from memory). What you need to do is troubleshoot it logically. The big part is 120 VAC, the front part is low voltage. Don't shock yourself.

-Chris
Old 18th February 2007, 10:25 PM   #4
tvi is offline tvi  Australia
diyAudio Member

Mouser list them
power switches.pdf

ALPS Power Switches

Regards
James
Old 18th February 2007, 11:06 PM   #5
diyAudio Moderator

Hi James,
That Alps list is cool. Thanks!

I didn't see those switches listed. There were very popular with Luxman and others as well as Carver. I remember the switch itself running around $20.00 CDN. That was my cost.

-Chris
Old 19th February 2007, 12:29 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

The form factor does not appear to correspond to any in the current ALPS literature. Could I just ignore the front end part and replace with an A/C switch? It seems to work fine. I'm still missing how I'm not getting continuity between the two black leads, isn't the switches function to make or break the connection between the black leads?
Old 19th February 2007, 01:31 AM   #7
diyAudio Moderator

Hi DreadPirate,
If you have the unit unplugged and push the switch in, can you measure resistance between the ends of the AC cord? You should measure the resistance of the transformer primary. Watch out for blown fuses. It is rare for this switch to fail.

-Chris
Old 19th February 2007, 02:33 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I understand what you're saying about obtaining primary coil resistance across the power connector, but I read open with or without the switch in the "on" position. The two black wires on the power switch may activate the "switched" outlets on the rear of the unit. When I plug the unit in, I strangely get 6.6V on the "switched" outlets and 110V on the unswitched. When I activate the power switch, the "switched" outlets go to 110V and the unit turns on. Tracing those wires back, they see line voltage (110V).

I can't explain why, but by disconnecting the red and white wires (shown on the photo) from the switch, I can get the unit to turn on and off normally. When they were connected, the unit would not power on at all.

Maybe I should get ahold of the schematic?
Old 19th February 2007, 03:27 AM   #9
diyAudio Moderator

Hi DreadPirate,
Quote:
Maybe I should get ahold of the schematic?
Yup.

I wish I still had my manuals, I'd be able to tell you.

-Chris
Old 9th March 2008, 08:48 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

hi..these switches have double contacts ..the nubs on the opposite side ... are still useable ..just solder to the unused 2 contacts and you have a new switch!
zeenith@msn.com
denis

Hide this!Advertise here!