Capacitance Limit? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th January 2003, 09:59 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Christian
Default Capacitance Limit?

Is there a limit on how much caps you should use with your x-former. I mean, does it beginn to sound bad if you use too many caps on a small x-former?

/Chris
Old 8th January 2003, 10:10 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

No, it will never start to sound bad, no matter how much you add on. You could out on Farads and Farads if you like. Of course as the caps are charging (as you power up your amp), they draw a very high current from your trannie, and will do so longer as the caps get bigger. Then there's the cost thing.
- "With power amplifiers, negative feedback is a good thing, and positive feedback can induce destructive oscillation, but with people, positive feedback is a good thing, and negative feedback can induce destructive oscillation"
Old 8th January 2003, 10:40 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default but there is a limit for tube rectifiers

they are less forgiving
Old 8th January 2003, 10:46 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

And even a solid state rectifier could blow during start up if you get too carried away.
- "With power amplifiers, negative feedback is a good thing, and positive feedback can induce destructive oscillation, but with people, positive feedback is a good thing, and negative feedback can induce destructive oscillation"
Old 8th January 2003, 10:47 PM   #5
halojoy is offline halojoy  Sweden
On Hiatus

Default Re: Capacitance Limit?

Quote:
Originally posted by Christian
Is there a limit on how much caps you should use with your x-former. I mean, does it beginn to sound bad if you use too many caps on a small x-former?
/Chris
First question: How big is your room?
That will set a limit to how many Caps you can Fit.

Second Question: Is there a part of the kitchen you could use?
That can add some 10 Farad.

I am just guessing, but is it a Pass Amp you are going to supply?
Then you might even better use your Garage, too ...
Put your Car on your lawn instead.

/halojoy - with his Caps on
Old 8th January 2003, 10:54 PM   #6
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Elso Kwak
Lightbulb Adding Caps to Powersupply

Quote:
Originally posted by Kilowatt
No, it will never start to sound bad, no matter how much you add on. You could out on Farads and Farads if you like. Of course as the caps are charging (as you power up your amp), they draw a very high current from your trannie, and will do so longer as the caps get bigger. Then there's the cost thing.
Hi Kilowatt,
According to Horowitz this a is totally <B>NOT</B> true. "When choosing filter capacitors, don't get carried away: An oversize capacitor not only wastes space but also increases transformer heating (by reducing the conduction angle, hence increasing the ratio Irms/Iavg). It also increases stress on the rectifiers"

Better use a PI-filter. This will reduce the ripple far more effectively. You can make the second cap larger at will.

See also
http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.pl?f...ly&r=&session=
Old 8th January 2003, 11:05 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I'd have trouble believing that, because through the rectifier, I don't see how the transformer could possibly care if there are huge charged caps beyond it. But then again, I'm far from all-knowing.

And besides that, audiophiles aren't normally known to care about such things as efficiency.
Old 8th January 2003, 11:11 PM   #8
Banned

Lightbulb Soundquality

Quote:
Originally posted by Kilowatt
I'd have trouble believing that, because through the rectifier, I don't see how the transformer could possibly care if there are huge charged caps beyond it. But then again, I'm far from all-knowing.

And besides that, audiophiles aren't normally known to care about such things as efficiency.
Hi Klowatt,
As for soundquality a PI-filter with 2x 10,000F and a 2.2 mH choke sounded better than the simple powersupply with doubled capacity. (2x 10,000F)
I tried this in my own poweramp (AmpzillaII)
Old 8th January 2003, 11:15 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hmm, cool.

I may have to try that on my Leach/modified p3A amp, when I get around to finishing the thing.
Old 8th January 2003, 11:25 PM   #10
Banned

Default Re: Re: Capacitance Limit?

Quote:
Originally posted by halojoy

First question: How big is your room?
That will set a limit to how many Caps you can Fit.

Second Question: Is there a part of the kitchen you could use?
That can add some 10 Farad.

I am just guessing, but is it a Pass Amp you are going to supply?
Then you might even better use your Garage, too ...
Put your Car on your lawn instead.

/halojoy - with his Caps on
Hi Halojoy,
I love the (mental) picture: the room kitchen and garage full of those large beercansize caps!
I think the transformer will not survive the first inrush current charging those 10kF capacity. maybe I forgot a zero!

Hide this!Advertise here!