Interesting crossover question - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th February 2007, 08:33 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Interesting crossover question

I have an old amp laying around collecting dust because it has a high pass crossover at around 250HZ (guessing around 12db/octave). My question is simple but Im not sure if its easy to solve. How would I go about locating and removing/altering this crossover for a lower high pass point? Seems like a long shot but maybe you guys can help...

Thanks
-Sergio
Old 15th February 2007, 09:20 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

What is the amp?
Old 15th February 2007, 09:57 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Three things puzzle me a bit about your description. These are "old", "12db" and "cross over". My first thought was that it may be a realtively cheap (old) Oriental design with a 6db slope rumble filter. They have been known to cut in at a high frequency. But as the previous post said we would need more info'. If thats possible then the changes aren't too difficult to do. My second thought was to ask if it's a car amp?
Old 16th February 2007, 05:31 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

No its not a car amp...its actually off a computer system that was sold a few years back. Its not THAT old but yeah...used that term a little loosely there

Basically the system consisted of a sub and four speakers...the frequency response said 250hz-20K for the highs, so Im assuming thats where the filter is...Its a long shot and I would be surprised if you guys had an answer....I wanted to use it for a couple of full range speakers for my computer again...naturally the filter kills the purpose..

Thanks
-Sergio
Old 16th February 2007, 06:36 PM   #5
kubeek is offline kubeek  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to kubeek
I would open it, and try to follow the singal path till the point it divides into the subwoofer section and the other speakers section.
The filter will probably be at the beginning of the speakers section.
Old 16th February 2007, 08:20 PM   #6
zlast is offline zlast  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to zlast Send a message via MSN to zlast Send a message via Yahoo to zlast
the response was probably due to the incredibly SMALL diameter cones on the speakers...unless the specs specify a crossover..usually manufacturers cut as many corners/cost as possible...
Old 16th February 2007, 10:15 PM   #7
lndm is offline lndm  Australia
diyAudio Member

This amp is probably designed for low power. Are you sure you want to run it full range with perhaps less efficient speakers?
Old 17th February 2007, 08:04 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Its only a 3 watt amp, And Ill probably run more efficient speakers, Or I may make it into a boom box Its just a toy, Ill try measureing the frequency response to see if it actually has a crossover or not, then Ill go from there. Thanks for the help guys..

-Sergio

Hide this!Advertise here!