Destroyer x Amplifier...Dx amp...my amplifier - Page 99 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd April 2007, 03:55 PM   #981
diyAudio Member

Default Yeah!..very good ideas Graham.

Juan's supply is 63 Volts, simetrical, and when 10 amperes are going to the load, the output goes down to 54 Volts DC.

The supply output will loose 1.5 volts when drained to 10 amperes (5 percent error).... the difference of voltage over the rail transistors is 18,5 volts...having 10 amps...the power dissipation, maximum and per rail, will be 185

Even two darlington units can be used..but not safe enougth.

The Beta factor will make the 2200uF condenser be multiplied by the darlington gain..this will appear in the output..this way we can reduce the output condenser to reduce cost....the capacitance that will reach the darlington base, of course, as we have 1800 ohms from the electrolitic condenser to the base will be "felt", as reduced.

Also you can use 220uf directly into the base too....and reduce the 2200uf to 220uf if needed...reducing costs.

The supply is adjustable, from less than 20 volts to 63 Volts....and will be stable (under 5 percent) from 20 to 57 volts each rail.

The output must be fused, as shorts in the output may burn the series pass darlington transistors.... 10 amperes each rail fuse.

Yes..you can include 100n capacitors in parallell with the condensers, also include some snubber or whatever you think that will be good.

The heatsink needed, to each rail..in the case you decide to use two heatsinks, the size will be, for instance; 25 by 20 centimeters having 12 fins, each one 5 centimeters high (5 x 25cm).

If you prefer area exposed to the air... 3600 squared centimeters of aluminium exposed, to each rail, may be needed to hold full output power....2 channels of DX amplifier over 4 ohms and driven by continuous signal.. not the real music , will produce a big consumption..so...some hard sittuation ,not usually present in day by day use, will not be a problem using this suggested heatsink size...dimensioned to face abuse.

Juan is from Police...he cannot give us forum identification or personal picture.

BTW...to Mr. Graham Maynard....my dear Klaas, my pioneer constructor, that is almost finishing his cooperation here in this thread, beeing very important and precious to me, told his interest to construct GEM amplifiers, i hope you will give him the nice support you gave me in the past, during your amplifier construction i have made.... he will be busy here ,during the next week...i think he has intention to start something related GEM in 2 monthes maximum... well..not absolutelly sure....he will tell you some....i will give him your personal mail adress.

Take care of this great guy.... i am not jellows...not too much...Grrrrrrr!

regards,

Carlos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg juan heatsink.jpg (60.6 KB, 464 views)
Old 22nd April 2007, 05:22 PM   #982
ostry is offline ostry  Poland
diyAudio Member

Greetings!

I just want to say, that DX Amp PSU board is being cooked...

regards
Attached Images
File Type: png dx_psu.png (12.3 KB, 540 views)
Old 22nd April 2007, 05:36 PM   #983
diyAudio Member

Default And very well "cooked"...may have some onions and garlic.

And result fine....lovely those condenser in that position....this turns the board look more "ballanced"..as weigth is better distributed...i like that.

Visually ballanced of course...hehe.

I am happy that you are cooking Dx amplifier PSU board Ostry.

regards,

Carlos
Old 22nd April 2007, 06:50 PM   #984
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Plane vs groundstar, who will win?
Old 22nd April 2007, 07:15 PM   #985
diyAudio Member

Hi Carlos,

Your amp is simple, so folks can learn much from the Dx and be sure to be satisfied.
However, the GEM needs careful construction by experienced hands to keep it from being a disaster. It's not cheap either.

Constructors could probably build 4 Dx for the cost of one GEM, and you know, if I could at the moment, I would build a Dx just for the fun of it. The 'be Happy' amplifier.

Cheers ......... Graham.
Old 22nd April 2007, 08:20 PM   #986
diyAudio Member

Default They will not compete, they will not figth, we will have a marriage.

Ground plane and Star decided to married to join their passion into electronics and to produce a lot of copper dots in the future.

Many, many small boards will born to proof you that love is ethernal...and that is the best solution to everything.

regards,

Carlos

.................................................. .................................................. ...

Graham....lovely words...thank you Graham....those things when said by you, beeing the important designer you are, means a golden medal over me.

thank you,

regards,

Carlos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg happy dx.jpg (75.5 KB, 449 views)
Old 22nd April 2007, 10:04 PM   #987
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Look! Klaas, your amp has achne...
Old 22nd April 2007, 10:59 PM   #988
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

Carlos,

You gave Juan a power supply regulator circuit, a good one. I think your amp will sound superior with this supply!

Cheers,

Hugh
Old 22nd April 2007, 11:10 PM   #989
kvholio is offline kvholio  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

It's not the acne i'm worried about Nordic, it's the huge amount of hair that seems to grow out of it's ears

Yes, the GEM is next on my to-do list,
after i finished building the DX-amplifier.
(is an amplifier ever finished ?)

Building this amplifier has teached me a lot,
thanks to helpfull people in this thread, especially Carlos.
As a human, he is a GEM himself.
He provides excellent help and MORE.

If you want to learn about solid-state,
this amplifier is the way to go.
Highly motivating sound and very good backup
by Carlos and lots of other good people in this thread.

Don't worry, be happy

Klaas
Old 22nd April 2007, 11:23 PM   #990
diyAudio Member

Default Negative!...Klaas amplifier is healthy

It was just painted for a party.

Was an audioholic party...people loving connectors and plugs..now, he return to it's own simplicity...a good and nice amplifier..also happy.

regards,

Carlos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg it is nice.jpg (88.8 KB, 363 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!