Destroyer x Amplifier...Dx amp...my amplifier - Page 614 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd May 2009, 04:33 AM   #6131
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Its all perfectly clear now, also mount of bias curcuit and connect of obsolete component solder pads
Very nice, thank you

Mine will probably look much like this, just smaller trafos
Heatsink is going through the bottom, and very effective
As you may have guessed, I like it simple
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mirand 1 (wince).jpg (18.9 KB, 497 views)
Old 23rd May 2009, 05:10 AM   #6132

And I just found this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dx.jpg (23.4 KB, 470 views)
Old 23rd May 2009, 07:19 AM   #6133
diyAudio Member

Default Thank you very much Igreen...very kind from you to maintain a page about Dx Amplifier

this is an important contribution to the "Dx Corporation" target to have at least one Dx amplifier in each home.... wide world.

ahahahahahah!

Also congratulations by your good job building it.

.................................................. ............................

I am glad you are interested Tinitus... you are someone that build musical instruments, so, you have sensitivity to appreciate good sonic reproduction alike my dear friend Gaetan, that also build Violines.

This amplifier is a very special thing, the topologie is what makes that sound..compared to more sophisticated ones it uses to beat a lot of them... and almost matches, in sonic reproduction, some very modern ideas and revoluctionary designs.

I use to play the Krill and the Dx Standard in my home and to offer a candy to the one discover the one is the Krill..... after some try and error people finally can do that...Krill is sligtly better, when it's electronic performance is MUCH better than my amplifier..but sonically, to achieve some advantage is something very hard.

Humans alike me (not so good to listen subtile (subtle?) details in musical reproduction have perceived that almost all amplifiers (when not defective, bad designed, bad biased or something wrong) sounds reasonable or good.... small advantage is a hell difficult to obtain, and costs a lot in money, in parts and in labor to produce.

Reason why this amplifier is so nice.

Thanks to the Sony Corporation (were i was very honored to work and to study audio down the eigthies) that produced the topologie and to Mr. Hugh Dean that took years from his life, researching in his laboratory, watching scope waveforms and producing notes about the effects of "this, that and those" into the sonic reproduction....and he paid a lot for that, not only in parts he burned and lost trying different and dangerous approaches,but also into his body structure, bones and bone connections as he use to feel some pains because of repetitive jobs.... constant body position sitted in front of the Osciloscope with some try and error basis after some hours of creative exercise.

I have just found the track to the nice sonics.

I am glad you are interested...alike Jan Dupont you have superior audio into your home, your interests made me happy, as you gonna see, by yourself, what i mean.

enjoy.

regards,

Carlos
Old 23rd May 2009, 07:36 AM   #6134
diyAudio Member

Default I was watching your pictures Igreen and i found an Ipod

Some of those players have some high frequency together the audio..something not very well filtered from the Digital to Analogic convertion.... also the output impedance and equalization is not so perfect to plug it as audio source into standard audio amplifiers.

Those Ipods were made to be connected to earphones.... or dedicated, exclusive and customized power amplifiers combos made exactly to such kind of purpose.

I suggest you to try a DVD player, or a satelite receiver audio ouput to connect as audio source into the Dx amplifier...you gonna see what i mean..sound is much better this way.

Those Ipods are made to face a low impedance load, a speaker coil that has inductance... because of that it is "adjusted" to face that coils as load.... do not matches perfectly the Dx Amplifier 39K input impedance.... transfers audio easy because low impedance output plug..but this forces a little the audio equalization.

A connection of lower impedance to a higher input uses to work fine...the opposite is not so good....so... it is not a crime..but needs some care and attention with that.

Some noises, into a non audible spectrum, may saturate the Dx amplifier, producing some aditional heat and losses of sonic details.

A filter capacitor (103), into the Ipod output, a small capacitor to ground may be needed..but the best option is to load the ipod with some type or earphone, and them a capacitor to ground and a series resistance (10K) to the Dx amplifier input plug...then the result will be better.... will need to reduce gain resistance to 330 ohms too.

If you are happy with the result this way...man!>..prepare the camera because you gonna dance so happy you may fell when listening it with the maximum sonic quality.

regards,

Carlos
Old 23rd May 2009, 05:30 PM   #6135
lgreen is offline lgreen  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Thank you very much Igreen...very kind from you to maintain a page about Dx Amplifier

Quote:
Originally posted by destroyer X
this is an important contribution to the "Dx Corporation" target to have at least one Dx amplifier in each home.... wide world.

ahahahahahah!

Also congratulations by your good job building it.

.................................................. ............................
I would like more from the DX corp. in my home to balance out those in the world that don't have one. Hopefully someone will make "turbo" boards so I can make one of them.

When you say you compared to "krill" did you mean the "krill" on this site or do you mean Krell?
Old 23rd May 2009, 05:41 PM   #6136

Thanks Carlos

Enjoy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg violin ny.jpg (21.3 KB, 443 views)
Old 23rd May 2009, 05:42 PM   #6137
lgreen is offline lgreen  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: I was watching your pictures Igreen and i found an Ipod

Quote:

Those Ipods were made to be connected to earphones.... or dedicated, exclusive and customized power amplifiers combos made exactly to such kind of purpose.

I suggest you to try a DVD player, or a satelite receiver audio ouput to connect as audio source into the Dx amplifier...you gonna see what i mean..sound is much better this way.

I agree. The iPod was only used for testing to set the DX bias levels. It is easier to use than CD player with CD Test tones, instead I just have playlist on iPod with various sine wave test tones (lossless format) to set bias and check frequency response. Also to play some music and confirm working status; no need to move cd player into garage and plug into wall.

DX amp is only used with quality components, KRC-2 and BOSOZ preamps, Wadia CD player, Pearl phono, Denon POA-4400 monoblocks, KSA-50 DIY and other mummified components or Frankenstein diy projects from long ago. I rarely discuss my stereo components but there you have some of them.

(?Who has a Pioneer timer from the '80s except for me? And I still use it. Stereo room should always have a 1980s timer instead of a clock.)
Old 23rd May 2009, 06:31 PM   #6138
diyAudio Member

Default Oh!.... KSA50 is a very respectable equipment.

in some range it beats the Dx Amplifier standard...do not know about the HRII and also do not remember if beat into bass, mids or treble.

I understood..those Ipod are nice to use.... small...handy...have a lot of musics inside.... i love them too..but, as you know...they were made to earphones.

About the Krill...yes... the Steve Dunlap one...it beats my amplifiers..the difference is not so big..but it beats.

The one may make something high powered is TAJ...i have a board he made (asked not to release because has some errors) to the HRII - 55V..... well... this beast is really stronger than the 35V HRII....much more than twice..and this we already perceive as power advantage.

Oh!... lovely those eigthies gear...i am preparing myself to afford to buy something old from the eigthies...i love that old style sonic they produce.

regards,

Carlos

.................................................. .................................................

You are welcome Tinitus.... Gaetan looks alike you in several points..he is living a forest...between trees and lakes..alike you...he likes to be with friends..alike you...he loves music and is a religious man (you seem to be too) and he is a violine lover..he use to manufacture those things.

.................................................. ................................................

One more free offer from the Dx Corporation:

Eigthies musics in a jukebox i found in the internet

http://www.tropicalglen.com/Jukebox/.../myjukebox.swf
Old 23rd May 2009, 06:57 PM   #6139

Default Re: Oh!.... KSA50 is a very respectable equipment.

Quote:

Gaetan looks alike you in several points..he is living a forest...between trees and lakes..alike you...he likes to be with friends..alike you...he loves music and is a religious man (you seem to be too) and he is a violine lover..he use to manufacture those things.

Religion?
Yes and no
Its a bit mixed
I take a bit here and there
I consider buddisme as the most peaceful
Im considered a bit of a "zenman"
Baking breads is my religion
But in the end Im probably still just a viking
That I am by nature

Ontopic, if you handle your amp with care and respect it will reward you with good sound
If you beat it with a hammer, it wont

Ofcourse it sounds like rubbish
But its not, when consequently carefully handling every single last bit of details in the building these things, it will sound better

But nothing works without training
Sounds obvious, yet many seem to forget that
Old 24th May 2009, 06:48 AM   #6140
taj is offline taj
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Dx Corp Logo

Quote:
Originally posted by norazmi
Hi Dx,
Ok now, i`ve finish the amp build in stereo and of course 2 pair power transistor per board, so i just thinking about the Logo or something for this amp, i would like to suggest if you have time to make Dx Corp logo, maybe can be download from your website so it will easy to print out and put it on the amp box. What ya think?

Best Regards,
Azmi
Hi Azmi,

I doodled up some quick DX amplifier logos (attached). They should work fine on a chassis or PCB.

..Todd
Attached Files
File Type: pdf dx-logosheet.pdf (88.5 KB, 122 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!