Destroyer x Amplifier...Dx amp...my amplifier - Page 121 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th May 2007, 11:06 AM   #1201
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nordic
Bass was a bit rough at first, but I decided what the heck and turned the bias pot using my ear for best sound...like I did with my headphone amp
Just watch adjusting the bias by ear as it can end in tears.

You really need to set the bias initially, then let it warm up for an hour or so and then re-adjust. Play some tunes at a moderate level for about 15 minutes then re-adjust. Then play tunes at higher levels for about 30 minutes and then re-adjust.

These are a bit different to chipamp to get up and running hey, and the Mauro makes it so easy as it's plug and pray only.
Old 6th May 2007, 11:08 AM   #1202
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nordic
IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!
Congradulations!!!!!!!
Old 6th May 2007, 11:50 AM   #1203
diyAudio Member

Default I am having my black label...the 12 years one.

Cheers friends!

The ones are around right now, as Rabbitz, Graham, Nordic and Greg and all other folks that use to visit this thread.

Cheers to all of you!

I will have a esplendid (ahahahah) Sunday!

regards,

Carlos
Old 6th May 2007, 11:53 AM   #1204
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Adjustments made was needed, it was distorting alot with bias level set useing measurement... changes were made almost microscopic small at a time, as it is a single turn pot...and about 15 minutes appart ramping the volume gradualy ....

Heatsinks are still cool after 2 hours now as are the transistors.

Still gives some high frequency distortion right at the start which goes away after a song or two... (note.. my speakes are not well balanced... being verry bright), I also don't have speaker in default position, so I cant make bass comparison.

But what I hear is very realistic.. The GC has more bass.. but it is not as controlled... and GC has the benifit of an awesome preamp... while this amp is getting only headphone output from ipod shuffle now. This amp tells me once again how good my GC is...

DxA: large diffirence between sound from song to song... so MUCH less coloured..

The GC is more mellow but whatch this space opinion may change once we have two channels and a case, so we can do comparison...

DxA has astounding detail in high frequency sound, and it seems possible to follow low intensity sounds until they get very small.
You get good variety in range of symbal hits and subtle things like instrument and mike bumps... listening with ratther complex material like Portis head live recordings etc...

If anything the DxA sounds alot like my dad's old Kenwood from the 80s, that thing could sing.

I am most satisfied...

Muito obrigado, Carlos
Old 6th May 2007, 12:03 PM   #1205
diyAudio Member

Default De nada meu amigo...foi um prazer.

You are welcome my friend...was a pleasure.

And finished with more pleasure...hummmm..this 12 old is really good...this taste of wood drives me crazy...hic!

I use to drink only during new year.... this is a special moment, as this "children" was difficult to born...the amplifier i mean.

When you finish your adjustments and evaluations...i will be happy to know, once more, the transistors you are using and in special the bias current you have found as perfect.

If possible, the bias potentiometer resistance ...this is to check this drunk simulator i have (I hate it!)

Despite friends will not be interested..but i will he happy to know the VBEs...all transistor vbes....

Of course Nordic....next week....or the other will follow the next one...hehe

panzertoo@yahoo.com

regards,

Carlos
Old 6th May 2007, 12:05 PM   #1206
diyAudio Member

It is truely musical, and a great joy to listen to...
Old 6th May 2007, 12:13 PM   #1207
diyAudio Member

Default That's exactly what i have perceived..it takes some minutes to stabilize.

As Rabbitz said...need some time....a couple of hours i think.

I have perceived exactly this.... turning closer the natural sound...each time more realistic.... steps going to that sound I used to listen when i touched my ears over a tube amplifier output transformer... sound was there and very clear.

Also the old stylus...listening to it in a silent environment...try a saxophone...it will scratch..... try a violine...your arms hairs will be stand!.... i mean the real scratching the sound instrument does... the guitar divisions beeing touched by strings... the fingers beeing passed over guitar strings...that noise is there...listen ocean water...the bubbles blowing...not hissing.... real!

I think the remotion of parts..each one were cooperating with the resultand mess..harshes you do not listen in this toy...not mufled too...speaker will jump out the frame if you have enougth bass level in the input..it can drive clear 0.5 sinus signal..you will see the speaker diafragm travel without pops....that old story of "wire with gain"..simple things sounding more clear.

Well.... this is my imagination.... the conclusion i have today..of course i can change my mind because my natural evolution.

Comparing with better ones, it will never be ashamed!....yeah!...can loose, and lost in something to Symassym....lost to Aksa related trebles too.... was humiliated by GEM related dinamic power, bass and voices...but not too much..difference is something that made me respect the first guy that created bootstrapp...

I can loose.....no problem...but no one will call me "Shirley " and i will not eat my boards..as the difference is not enougth to go to construct complicated circuits i think.....distorts more, when near the limit of clipping...more than some others...well.... just reduce the volume and be happy!

I cannot see, too much reasons to construct a monster using 50 transistors when 8 can do the job..beeing simple...and cheap!...
wanna the best...well...the best has its price...go to Aksa!

Damn Symassym (pure envy!)...the fast attack...the terrible slew rate ( and mike snobbing saying not special...grumpf!...i hate winners like him....kidding folks!)...the Symassym..that bunch of sausages, make us fall down from the chair when a fortíssimo suddenly arrives into the music..the difference of volume turns you scared.... and send shame to others small toys alike mine.

Aksa use to make me cry listening female voices and sad violine notes...no one can beat that one...hehe...only my bass could face Aksa!... i mean the 55.

Wanna blow your ear membrane?.... use a headphone!

Well..this is my "party" speech...serve yourself..have a drink and enjoy folks.

regards,

Carlos
Old 6th May 2007, 12:32 PM   #1208
diyAudio Member

Or roll a happy one.... why drink and drive, when you can smoke and fly!

If I can build it anyone can.... my first SS amp.
Old 6th May 2007, 12:37 PM   #1209
diyAudio Member

Default I have tested that smoke during army....but made me sick

I do not want to try once more.

Will fly with my Wiskie.

Also complicated here...society do not accept...neighboors smelling those cigars they knock your door...only high society has their own methods.

Yeah...all those things foolishes..i do think this way too... wiskie and cigarettes killing us daily.... hundreds of drugs circulating free..but those cigars are bad...foolishes.

regards,

Carlos
Old 6th May 2007, 12:40 PM   #1210
kvholio is offline kvholio  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Congratulations, Nordic ! Glad you got it working fine .
Finally i'm nolonger a lonely pioneer

I'll have a brewski on your success

Best regards,

Klaas

Hide this!Advertise here!