Destroyer x Amplifier...Dx amp...my amplifier - Page 108 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th April 2007, 03:35 PM   #1071
diyAudio Member

Default oh man - i am having my

fingers crossed for good luck in powering this little "beast"....good luck Nordic....

Carlos has made an extremely fine piece of audio equipment here - You can count on it....

stabile,
easy to make,
relatively cheap also,
clever designed,

maaannnnnnn

it is hard to beat this nice and easy design...
Old 30th April 2007, 04:33 PM   #1072
diyAudio Member

Default Thank you Sparkle, a nice congratulation the one you post.

I felt the same Sparkle..when doing this one, the Dx amplifier...was hard to make another amplifier so good as Aksa...i could not...Aksa is even better in treble and sound stage....i could have more power, a sligthly better voice and much more bass.

Now you are designing yours...you will face those things too.

Only simulating is very easy..we can produce 100 in a day...but listening, evaluating each modification, each option...CCS or not CCS.... mirror or not mirrored.... output darlington or triple darlington....evaluating each possible option, the way you are doing and studying, will produce, certainly a very good amplifier...but the work is hard.

regards,

Carlos

.................................................. .................................................. ...

Dear Nordic...you have a short....12 ohms...hehe...transistors shorted, burned, copper lines producing shorts....you will find.

Take a breath..go to sleep for some minutes...or wait a couple of days, if tired, and return to hunt..you will find.

regards,

Carlos
Old 30th April 2007, 04:37 PM   #1073
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

I feel so stupid, just can't find my mistake... just finished printing greg's boards to transparency, was going to etch his power relay controller tommorrow anyway...might as well do the right thing...

Now I'm going to race a bit on Trackmania to relax then I will sit one more session with the board... cleaned up my desk nicely for it now...hope I have enough paste left to reattach transistors...

But I intend to ask the transformer place for some thermal paste as well as the discount...

I am not terribly dissapointed, about 4 out of 10 things I build works straight off... luckily normaly those include my main amps...

but with experimental boards I learned many new words due to carelessness... but I tried to be very carefull with the DX board, (will call it DXA from now on for DX Amp).

I know this amp will be good when its done, not because of schematics, but because I know when and who to trust.
Sadly I will be very short of time over the next few weeks, and any time spend on the amp, will actualy be stolen from the project that has to pay for it all... I am so glad I overcame the impatience of my early 20's nowadays I can sit and enjoy the thougth of something for long until I actualy have it...
I intend working on the amp during coffee and afternoon breaks... although tommorow is some public holiday again... so I can be as busy as the wife lets me be...

Will have to make good use of my time tonight to prepare photoresist boards etc so I can get a move on. I'd like to have at least one channel ready before the transformers arrive...

Carlos it seems that the Rails for 24V transformer sit closer to 31V after rectification and filtering than 35V... any adjustments you reccommend?

Old 30th April 2007, 04:42 PM   #1074
diyAudio Member

Default You will laugh from yourself when discover.

The error is in front of your eyes....clear to be seen.

But we watch and we do not see...this is very normal.

Let it rest...maybe looking once more you will discover that you have installed a NPN in the place of a PNP...or other transistor that has no relations with this amplifier.

relax..this is only an amplifier..you are a man..you can fix all the mistakes you have produced.

regards,

Carlos
Old 30th April 2007, 06:19 PM   #1075
diyAudio Member

Default Yes.... to 35 to 36 Dc volts you need a 27 volts AC supply

I hope i have informed you correctly before.

Enjoy your search for bugs...you will find something wrong...no doubts you will.

regards,

Carlos
Old 30th April 2007, 06:23 PM   #1076
diyAudio Member

When I first power up a new amplifier I try it on 9V batteries.

I don't worry about output bias, and nothing is likely to blow using battery power.

This gives an opportunity to feel if anything becomes warm or hot, also to go in with a voltmeter to see where the current is being wrongly drawn.

At least this way you can write voltages on the circuit diagram and sit back to puzzle it out.

Good Luck Nordic.
Old 30th April 2007, 06:33 PM   #1077
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the tips, I did test the PSU with 9V batteries, but did not know it could be used to check initial things with amp, as it has that 12V zener...

I think the lightbulb before the mains plug at least saved me from burning out anything, except maybe for the transistors...
Old 30th April 2007, 06:51 PM   #1078
diyAudio Member

Default Too much small voltage Dear Nordic.

Make your testings with your Chip amplifier supply....just pick three wires and use them.

Using 9 volts you have a current unballance under a ratio of 7 to 1...bigger current in the positive rail.... positive rail consumption goes to 70 miliamps.

If battery is not good enougth.... draining this current will result in even lower voltage to the amplifier...if i understood you method

regards,

Carlos
Old 30th April 2007, 07:08 PM   #1079
diyAudio Member

Default If you wanna use 9 volts with Dx amplifier, i have to tell you that it will work fine

Will produce 5.5 Watts rms.

Will need more than 500 miliamps each one of those 9 volts rails

You will need to adjust the offset trimpot to zero.... a very small resistance, also R7 will need replacement for a 3K9 unit, C8 will need a replacement for a 100uf unit and R10 will need replacement to 12K.

Your offset will be around 7 milivolts.

Without those needed modifications to adapt the amplifier to a very "exotic" need...you will have severe current unballance (7 by one is the ratio, bigger to positive rail)...enormous off set voltage... incredible distortions and giant sensitivity.

My dear Nordic...have to tellya.....your needs are very crazy!

- "Dx amplifier will work fine, even in the hands of crazy folks!"

*Marketing Group, Nashville Office, number 03E9956774875748

regards,

Carlos
Old 30th April 2007, 07:26 PM   #1080
diyAudio Member

Default Hey dear Nordic!...don't you think that you will make your small battery loose a lot

of weigth?... sucking that enormous energy from the poor one!

Those ones are for 50 miliamps only!

Ahahahahah!

Carlos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg loose weigth.jpg (59.0 KB, 337 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!