Destroyer x Amplifier...Dx amp...my amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am preparing an external board to make my amplifier to operate in Super A

This is Class A to low power and Class AB to high power..automatically switched by a transistorized circuit containing 5 transistors, 10 resistors and 4 diodes.

It was invented by JVC and also used by several other brands including the Brazilian Gradiente that have made the model 366... a champion of sales reproducing a high quality audio... worked hot at 500 miliamps of stand by current and produce more than 60 watts RMS.

I am testing the idea into the Dx amplifier, the standard one, but i am sure i can arrange it to any other amplifier from the Dx brand or not a Dx brand amplifier.

You see a video with some testing...video is not complete but show what i mean and worked great in the simulator..soon i will have it made real life and listening to inform you.

Super A applied into the Dx amplifier, the standard one - YouTube

regards,

Carlos

Very kind from you...but the king is Hugh Dean

He has the real knowledge..... he used to say things that astonish me.... i used to be with my mouth open... so surprised i used to be reading his texts... OR... looking retarded because could not get what he used to say.... i had to reduce contact not to feel too much inferior reading his ideas... and ask him not to say secrets to me because the guy have discovered all the stuff in advance and let no room to me to have ideas...all ideas he had in advance... the way i had was not to talk too much with him or i would loose freedom to have ideas...all coming from him i was being empty and without the freedom to post things.... he discovered everything in advance related me... then the idea belong to him and not to me... not talking one each other i could have my ideas....he may had the same but i had not the knowledge and we where not having influences one each other..... i miss deeply the time i could talk with him...but i had no other way...or this way or no more amplifiers published..because all brilhant idea come from the guy..he has a gift.... i used to feel i could be with him...together with him...working there in his office.... but polishing his shoes..no other way to me.

Man.... the guy is really the king...do not have doubts about..he is the man!

I can see the current flowing into amplifiers... even troubles in corners, electrons skidding due to the centrifugal force ...but Hugh knows each electron by it's personal name and also can say the shirt each one of them are using...how tall they are and their weight.... kiding of course...this is an analogy and an image in the rhetoric.

Alike Schwartznegger used to say " I'll be back" ...... like a lyce i do not leave people's head..

I am here bringing more hope to my dear friends and builders.... now they can upgrade their amplifiers (in special the Dx Corporation units) without the need to build another one... will produce board, schematic, tests, prototypes, group buy, layout and all things needed to feed my brothers with some fun.... for free... to their enjoyment and mine too.

To the competition:

- "Be aware that i gonna invade your beach...hehhehehhe.... my circuit will mess with your circuit... without change a single part on it we gonna make it better...and no one have changed anything in your circuit....just a clever bias circuit"

I mean...people can use Super A circuit and include it in other circuits, adjusting or setting it to each particular case... without change a single part in your circuit, the Corporation will be a partner..... a cooperator or a parasite..depending the point of view

By the way.... Brasil is doing fine... we are marching to the future (a peacefull one as we will never invade no one) in large steps..we are becoming rich and proud...and even the girl you see is now trying to be near us... see the image and you gonna understand.

ahahahahhaha!:):):):):)

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• A new girl around.jpg
    A new girl around.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 455
Last edited:
Here you have the schematic from the Dx Super A (JVC modified and adapted)

circuit to be used together the Dx amplifier...the standard one...the first one...this one you see in this thread.

The transistor BD139 is captured and removed from the Dx amplifier..then you gonna use it and also will run wires from the Dx Super A to the pcboard...one enamelled wire (short in length..around 1 inch) will go to the place you had previously your colector (the upper horizontal line of the Super A circuit).... another wire will go from the circuit to the hole you had previously the BD139 (bias control) emitter installed into the pcboard.

The output line (the point where the power transistor's emitters are joined together) goes to the junction of these two groups of 2 diodes... the central point..the mid way.....there you solder into the output of your Dx power amplifier.

Adjust your trimpot to the maximum resistance prior to switch the amplifier on.... you may not need to adjust anything more further.

Caution!

- This circuit was not assembled yet...not tested real life..it may work...but may present problems.... wait to be sure or do it under your own risk....i will assemble and test it for sure.

- Class A operation means 37 watts of heat...this is more than your soldering iron...a hail hot place you gonna have...use bigger heatsinks and or fan blowers breathing air over your output that gonna be really hot...may reach 70 degrées celsius easy!... and with big heatsinks and fan blowers pumping air over it...during stand by mode or at low power the heat will be this way..very hot.

- You may notice that you can listen hum....your supply condensers may not be big enought....if this happens (and it will) then increase your supply condensers to have, at least, the minimum of 20 thousand plus 20 thousand microfarads.

- Attention for the cooling man!.... this thing will be hot alike a coffee pot or a can over the fire ready to cook something..... good to cook eggs..... your enclosure must have holes below the heatsink and at the top of the case... good ventilation is a need...external heatsinks will be good...the original heatsinks used to the Dx amplifier may not be enough

- if you perceive sound warm and looking that has a small loss in the high end..do not worry.... this is a class A characteristic, but for sure the audio will be more clear and detailed at low volumes while you will be operating class A

I do not like, nor appreciate Class A...doing it because people want..doing it because everybody knows that transistor crosssover distortions are reduced.... because everybody believe it is superior....doing not for me..doing for you.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Dx Super A - to be applied to the Dx amplifier, the standard one.jpg
    Dx Super A - to be applied to the Dx amplifier, the standard one.jpg
    350.1 KB · Views: 426
Yes....but works great...and as always, we have some power under

Class A biasing...or high bias class AB..well.... you understood.

Let's go doing it Epupa?

Dear Hugh...i am winning some challenges from my life..one was to return to audio...other was the lost of 70 kilos, two surgeries, one bariatric and other plastic and now a days working for the Government.... a whole life work...employee of the government because of tests applied and first place competing with 56 thousand folks....now accepting that wife does not love me anymore..when doing it, then she decide that love me too....ahahahahahah!.... crazy world!

making the prototype to the unknow amplifier class.... it is A, AB, maybe B or maybe XYZPTO:

http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee

regards,

Carlos

Last edited:
Yep.... i know very little about it...as i told, i do not appreciate hot appliances

my place is hot...too much hot to have something overheating my home.

I need some help to understand the stuff..... i will search for informs in Nelson Pass pages.

This was made by JVC...i am not creating anything new...this is very old...more than 40 years old i think....well... i am old too...now 61....that matches!

hehehhe

Carlos

Thank you Epupa and also thanks to Current flow

Herman has sent me files...very kind from you Herman.

I know the real thing from JVC is much more complicated, improved and detailed....i do like the simple way Brazilian Gradiente did a few decades ago.

Here you see the schematic.

There's a thread about Super A in our forum, and there we have several schematics to see.

I am posting the one from Gradiente that was a very sucessfull unit down here...tilll our days this equipment is sold by a very high price to audio fanatics because of sonic performance.

This schematic was sent to our forum friend, Jan Dupont from Denmark few years ago... and from time to time i have posted some comments about it as i deeply appreciate the sonics of these units... originally JVC and adapted to the "brazilian taste".

This amplifier was produced in Brazil 35 years ago.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Gradiente-Super-A-series-pwr-sch (2).pdf
    114.8 KB · Views: 181
  • Gradiente 366 -a.jpg
    Gradiente 366 -a.jpg
    522.6 KB · Views: 502
  • Gradiente 366 - b.jpg
    Gradiente 366 - b.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 460
Last edited:
This Gradiente is deeply famous.... i have a sister in Brasilia

that has one.... looks new..works great till today....it is connected to giant speakers from Sony (Sigma 15) and from Gradiente (Master 200)... sounds good.... a little bit warm sonics.... a little bit muffled in the high end as usual in class A (i do feel this way...my point of view).

Last year i could see someone selling copies from the original pcboards from this Gradiente to the ones had the intention to fix old sets... Gradiente is broken and shut it's doors several years ago..no more Gradiente here in Brazil.

These boards was found to be sold in the Brazilian free market (Mercado livre)..something alike Ebay...and last year the guy was there selling.... a fanatic about the brand.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• 4_kit.jpg
    4_kit.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 430
  • pci_montada_cima.jpg
    pci_montada_cima.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 434
  • trilhas_inclinada.jpg
    trilhas_inclinada.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 442