Destroyer x Amplifier...Dx amp...my amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
as promised....

this is the old kenwood amp. i remove the old amp circuit and place the dx amp.

vmyyjd.jpg

4kehr7.jpg

and this are the two speakers(rewinded) i use.
1z70dpc.jpg

thanks again carlos

what is the point in posting these 1600*1200 pixel blurred pics?
Wasting bandwidth and download time and scroll time to get past them.
Compress them to a sensible small size and attach the tiny files that are left directly to the Forum post. Leaving the reader with the option to expand the thumbnail or not.

La Ode has made a very nice board

My prefered one, as he have installed all transistors into the heatsink...the best solution, or the most pretty one.

I hope La Ode has the board layout, i have searched and could not find it.

Here is the board...in my point of view, to my eyes, an almost perfect board.... to be 100% the need is to clean excesses of thermal compound only and invert bolts and nuts...to allow us to see the screw head up

regards,

Carlos

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Currents flowing...to understand the currents flowing... the easier

way, is to accept (understand) that currents can flow from positive to negative, also can flow from negative to positive, also can flow from ground to positive..and also from ground to negative.

Doing this way, you will find much more easy...so...for a while, if you wanna understand the stuff, be flexible..forget that electrons are negative and flows to positive points.

Currents crossing resistances..if from left to rigth, or rigth to left.......if from up to down or the opposite..... in all modes, will develop electrical potencial...will develop voltage into the resistor extremes..so..this is what you want to decide values.

Observe the image and take a look.... i hope this helps.

regards,

Carlos
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Here you have a pdf.... this may helps the beginners

to understand...and to design their own amplifier....will be very easy.... a very easy next step.

But first...forget that electrons goes to positive....mine goes to the direction i want, or i need...this turns understanding easier.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• current flow.pdf
    90.5 KB · Views: 214
Selecting a topologie, and after the currents decision

You decide the voltages, and this is easy, as diodes referenced to the output line (zero volt) will present 600 milivolts...so...it is easy to realise.

Knowing the current (your decision or based into other designs) and the voltages needed (also your decision or based into other designs) you can enter the ohms law to calculate the resistor values.

R=E/I....... Resistance is the result of the division when you have the voltage upper into the ratio, and the current down.

This works for a starting point...the amplifier after construction operates.

Do your own.... a DIY is to do your own.... no problem to use this schematic, it is Universal..i would just ask you not to publish here...our forum has already many boostrapped designs..we need room for more creative and advanced guys to offer us more modern and different circuits.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• dc voltages referenced into the ground.gif
    dc voltages referenced into the ground.gif
    44.6 KB · Views: 361
You see that DC simple calculations has absolutelly no mistery

It is easy and works too...more sophisticated designs works even better...for sure this happens, including the AC calculation makes the amplifier more precise considering many other things.

But this is a nice way to start and to have fun.

Think into "Voltage Drop"..if you have 20 volts upper the resistance and 1.2 volts down the resistance..then the voltage drop is 20-1.2- 18.8 so, enter the current and calculate your resistor.

Easy!

needing details, having doubts..i am here to help (I have my knowledge limits, but others can help too).

Beeing shy, write to:

panzertoo@yahoo.com

I love to help folks!..... i feel good!...so, this does not bother me.

regards,

Carlos

....................................................................................................

Just be kind with uncle charlie..do not publish a lot of "samething"..if you have a real different circuit, not a resistance of a CCS, then show us..but please..to be repeating is really boring... do it..but do not publish otherwise you had new ideas..really new things that will really change sonics....what i could see last monthes is 12 and dozen....CCS here, current sink there, double VAS and subcircuits were tried into Precision 1 and HRII.....offer to us, if you have, something new...alike Stee and others

Attachments

• dc voltages to ground.pdf
    42.4 KB · Views: 161
Build an amplifier folks!.... do not matter what amplifier..do some for your own good

Fell the pleasure to listen something you have designed, or build/tweak/created/modified.

Enjoy your life, and join the big builders group that populates this forum.

Solid State Gruppen!

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Solid State Troppen.jpg
    Solid State Troppen.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
Builders continue to send me pictures about their amplifiers.

and of course i thank all them and feel good knowing they are enjoying.

There's someone in China, a man called Ari (or brand name) that is producing hundreds of boards.

Dx Amplifier is now Chinese too....mass production!

hehehe

Carlos

Attachments

• Dx by Ari.jpg
    Dx by Ari.jpg
    913 KB · Views: 533
There are two Dx Amplifiers inside this enclosure.

The speaker had the coil burned (500 Watts - 4 ohms), and them i have now another speaker at the speaker back...the cooling hole was used and a stick made from bamboo is connecting the back firing woofer with this frontal one..glued using hot glue to the center of this blue diafragm.....

Nice!

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Dx amp and speaker.jpg
    Dx amp and speaker.jpg
    404 KB · Views: 377
Last edited:
Hi carlos,

i'm reading this thread 2 days now.. still i couldnt finish reading it. I worked for a company as a software engineer but it has been 5 months now from the date i lost my job due to lay off. may be you are my surviver or may be my god (I dont believe god yet). im trying to make these projects for one of my friends who make speaker enclosures.

I lost through this thread what to make and what is the best version of each of your projects. currently dxamp.com is not working :( sad.. sad...

im new to electronics and amps but i believe myself that i can do this with your help..

I love the way you present the audience and your moody photos... hahahaha funny...
and I love your daughter too.. she is sweet,,,

you rock !

best regards,

Ranga

Thank you...so....i rock!

nice way to say things...thank you.

Try Greg (gerskine) home pages..... there are a lot of things there.

each amplifier is different... reading you gonna notice something about.

Dx Amplifier, the standard, is warm, has nice sonics, deep and strong bass alike a earthquake, or a thunderstorm...voices are fair and treble has good presence... with good tweeters it will brigth in your ears.

Dx HRII, despite lower power than the Dx Amplifier, sounds huge, sounds even more powerfull while it is not...maybe because the lower distortion and the better harmonics distribution...bass is not so enormous and treble is special.

Precision 1 is very powerfull..in special into the voices and sub basses... treble is fair, can be astounding depending your tweeters..the treble is there, depends to you to adjust crossover and to use a good tweeter.

DHR Turbo was made to shake your house...to remove nails and detach screws..to crack walls and broke glasses....a monster...made to be powerfull and reliable...an animal...no intention to produce quality..the idea was to produce power..despite of that, resulted fine in sonics too....and it is the one i use daily.

Trust.... low power, special bass, different sonics, super old style, capacitive coupling, sound is lovely, it is not precise...not all that high fidelity..but sounds great...the amplifier "rocks"

http://users.tpg.com.au/users/gerskine/dxamp/

All them sounds very good..in the reality the matching between amplifier and speakers is much more important than the amplifier alone or the speaker alone...we have also the pré amplifier to disturb.... the good pré amplifier is NONE pré amplifier in my point of view.

Yeah..daugther is interesting...also the best in her class and also speaks english and can design amplifiers too.... Brazilian Olympic games for Mathematics is now her target...she is one of the best ones in this state..... i am surrounded by girls...alike an Arabian in his Harém... watch my girls.... they are the reason i use to smile all time long.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Surrounded by girls.jpg
    Surrounded by girls.jpg
    408.3 KB · Views: 372
Last edited:
Good speakers does not produces noises

We cannot hear 10 cicles.

So, plug 10 hertz, sinusoidal waveform, check into the scope if it is clipping and take care not to clip and as a result nothing must be heard..... if we do not listen 10 cicles and no noise is produced all you have is speaker moving and silence.

The best the speaker the most silent it will be at this frequency.

You cannot do the same with high frequency drivers...as you gonna listen a lot of beating and harmonics generated above when you drive it above your maximum audible frequency... those noises are generated into amplifiers..and almost all them produces... sadly this is the truth...test it and you gonna perceive it by yourself.

Observe the tones into the scope..be sure they are not too much distorted into the waveshape...keep them bellow the clipping and do not use too much power..better to use less than the half power specified into the speaker datasheet.

Simple amplifiers use to produce less mess ...less generated crazy harmonics that appear audible when the tone you send to the speaker (high frequencies around 18000 hertz) is not audible...you will be listening noises generated, harmonics generated, beating and creating all that mess... amplitude generated signals...trash...garbage.

Check that by yourself..find a sophisticaded amplifier and then compare with a class A designed by Nelson Pass...one or two stages only..check that!

be happy...better not to make this test to be happy.... everytime i do that i turn very sad and depressive during the test....but sadness fast finishes and i start to laugh about those things.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Ispiquerum.jpg
    Ispiquerum.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 272
  • Ispiquerdois.jpg
    Ispiquerdois.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 76
  • air pump.jpg
    air pump.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 74
  • Artu falânticú.jpg
    Artu falânticú.jpg
    584.3 KB · Views: 64
  • Ispírqueru.jpg
    Ispírqueru.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
We cannot hear 10 cicles.

So, plug 10 hertz, sinusoidal waveform, check into the scope if it is clipping and take care not to clip and as a result nothing must be heard..... if we do not listen 10 cicles and no noise is produced all you have is speaker moving and silence.

Carlos

But turn it up loud enough, and you can tell when that 10 Hz is on or not - even if you don't "hear" a thing. It may take more than a 10 or 12 inch woofer to do it unless it's got a 1" (25 mm) stroke.

Do you have any big-@** Selenium drivers? Or are they too rich for your blood? They're made in your neck of the woods, so I wouldn't think they'd be out of reach....

Some Selenium drivers are noisy...they are very famous in my country

also they use not to reproduce mids..and i like that very much..only bass.

Bravox is the best we have here.

regards,

Carlos

"rich for my blood" or "made in my neck of the woods" are local, modern, idiomatic expressions.
i cannot understand...sorry for that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.