Status
Not open for further replies.
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Fine Carlos, we should stay friends, allways

But to be honest, I dont think your position is right at all
Think of it, its really not in your favour at all

You have opened another thread - "DX builders thread"

Everyone has respected that one as dedicated to your own design, the way you like it ;)

I honestly dont understand why just a change in layout should bother you so much

To leave this thread to its own destiny could actually give you what you want
An active open thread
Would be nice and easy to link to your own "DX builders thread", fore those who want to take the easy road
Or maybe just ask questions about original design
The only thread that is rightfully dedicated to your DX only

Sure, you do have the power to do it your way, but as lineup said, its not the same as being right

Its becoming even more a mess with too many threads
I think you should reconsider, fore the sake of all, yourself included ;)

:)

I would prefer you to open another thread to present your modifications, your ideas,

your style, as others did..this thread is for Dx amplifiers..the schematics and boards published...this one has a board published into several posts...also into Greg Erskine pages.

I am already busy taking care of my babies, answering the ones are building, and some of them are in Brasil, others into the Orkut, and also i use to stay into a Brazilian forum.

I think i have made my contribution, the amplifiers were tested, built and a lot of folks are happy with it...not more tweaks into the Dx Amplifier.

Nelson Pass is a genius...i am a poor idiot... cannot compare his mind with mine three free neuroniuns.

Try Nelson Pass..maybe you can produce something interesting there..or the Ostrypper amplifier, or MJL transistor (i have never memorized those numbers because i have not such transistors).

Why i dislike modifications is a very long story, already published in this same thread, several times and will be hard to type around 20 messages to explain you my reasons that for sure you gonna agreed after reading..i prefer to invite you to open another one,l and them to modify layout and include resistances into emitter and other things you may want to make...i do not want to board into the adventure.

Modifications into those amplifier were closed since beginning of 2008, to avoid more problems.

Modifications, upgrades and updates not welcome .

So, please, open your thread, and present to forum folks your ideas about, your circuit and give them support if they want to build your design.

I am having a lot of work to advertise and keep my amplifier alive and usefull to a lot of beginners that come to my mail box..this is enougth to me and i do not want more responsabilities....i think Ostripper can help you more..he is a very good designer and opened to people modify his amplifiers.

with respect,

Carlos

Hello my dear Weldon, my prefered moderator..you are always around when needed

there's an enormous list of reasons to avoid modifications into my amplifiers... so big that i am avoiding to explain...will result in many long posts.

I am sure, people would understand very well and will give me support to such kind of decisions taken.

Thank you Cal Weldon,

Carlos

Building the amplifier following the schematic without doing modifications

and producing boards the standard way... i will be with you, and here..the fun will continue.

But with modification, do not count with me.

You can make the standard board published and them run wires from that board to your power output board.

But i will not guarantee good results..this is the problem..you may have problems and this will create embarrasment to me, with someone having troubles with an amplifier that had never problems.... this way is not fair..will be burning Dx Amplifier image only to you to have fun and to use that board you have.

Stop to modify and i will be with you.... in a different way, i am very sorry but i will not be with you.

I could read people suggesting you to put emitter resistance into the Vas... come on Tinitus, this is not the Dx amplifier, not the standard... doing in such way you should open your thread to develop your amplifiers following your own ideas or accepting suggestions.... there's thousands of guys suggesting things... accepting suggestions my amplifier will finally turn a mess.

regards,

Carlos

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Re: Building the amplifier following the schematic without doing modifications

destroyer X said:

You can make the standard board published and them run wires from that board to your power output board.

Stop to modify and i will be with you.... in a different way, i am very sorry but i will not be with you.

I could read people suggesting you to put emitter resistance into the Vas... come on Tinitus, this is not the Dx amplifier, not the standard

Carlos

Ok Carlos

I admit I first started mainly because I had components to use
I also began trying to understand better how to do a layout
Would help me doing other stuff too
You were nice and very patient and understanding
You approved close to all I presented from arranging components
To the use of good Sanken
We had no problems what so ever
I think it ran sweetly, and I got very excited and found it very creative
Things started to get me even more interested
Found lots of nice stuff in various places
I thought small monos at the size of half a shoebox sounded appealing
Things seems to start get to you first when people started to suggest change schematic
You know that was never my intention
I have no skills to do so

I thank you fore inviting me back
But I will only do my own layout, with original schematic
Gregs very informative site and nice layout have made all the difference
But to return to just copy his layout is not an option fore any more sorry, cant do that
Not enough challenge at this point
If I cant do the best I can, its not fore me

You know, fore the money "wasted" on DIY, lots of other nice gear could have been bought
But I have never liked whats not mine
Commercial stuff means nothing to me
I suppose thats what DIY is all about, and why we are here

Time to move on it seems
As it is I better start collecting parts fore my F5 boards
Or maybe also try find a driver board fore all those super nice MJL21193/94 I have
If I had the money I would build withHoltons new monster amp boards
Different beast

But thanks anyway
Maybe you really just did me a favour

Carlos, I had no intentions of corrupting the "standard". In my layout a jumper would be installed IF you had a BD139.. making for a true DX. BUT, if you had a fast MJ-X/ 2SC - X just replace the jumper with resistor .. no oscillator. The only other change I was
making was just in layout. Vbe transistor either on the main PCB or
on leads like the ASKA. (no little board)

I will take the moderators kindly advice and create a thread , and
no bad vibes , instead , I thank you, Carlos, for a good design.

OS

Very good folks..thank you by the understanding

A lot of effort, labor and brain storm was applied to produce the Dx Amplifier... and many good people has built because of reliability.

People knew that when they start to assemble will have no surprises, alike new diagram or parts to be adjusted and things to be corrected.

The design time finished a long time ago.

Do other amplifiers and contribute to our communitty, with mankind and give yourself the pleasure to contribute.

I thank you by the decision to open a new thread and apply your creative ideas about amplifiers.

Enjoy and be happy.

regards,

Carlos
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

About moderators... all i could know, and felt good knowing

They do not work alone..they use to be connected..when one decide something was because all them have voted.

When Cal Weldon say yes...all other moderators said yes too.

I think this is great.... not a lonely decision..this multiplies the precision into decisions taken, reduce the possibility, human possibility, that one moderator can be moved by empathy, beeing unfair with someone.

All i imagine that may turn them different may be the interest to the intervenction...some let the things roll, others may call the group to decide things more often than others....maybe this is the difference they have.

But in the reality, seems they are a single mind..as decisions are made inside the moderators group... at least the ones are waken up when something happens.

It was a rarity to see them beeing unfair.... happens of course..but it is not usual.

Also when they are inside a thread, behaving as one more audiophile, they left the moderator position to another one..this is other good thing, as they are intimate connected with the group into the dinamic of communication...other moderator, in the superviser position, more cold to the emotions envolved into the thread, make intervenctions when needed.

I think the philosophy is great..i would like them holding a double barreled sometimes..but this is my personal way to take decisions..i think some guys deserves a good shot of salt into the hear bumpers.

regards,

Carlos

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
A factor which hasn't been mentioned is that this thread is VERY long and it is hard to find specific information. Adding variations in the middle of it can become confusing- one doesn't know which is being referred to.

It is fine to start a thread that refers to the Dx I think , similar to the Mini-Aleph which was an effort by Grey Rollins to duplicate the Aleph in a small form factor but was not an exact Aleph maybe...
So: "Mini-Dx" ?

Another example: We will be splitting the Salas Capacitorless B1 from the the Pass B1 thread. Again, they are different, but one is based on the other, the thread is long, and members were confused if one was "better" or just "different"

I know Carlos is proud of having an amp that is his creation that he likes so much after all these years, so wants some credit, and not blame if another design is different and doesn't work/sound the same..

On the other hand. These forums ALWAYS encourage experimentation on established designs so it is perfectly legitimate to make a variation, and even mention what amp it is a variant of, as long as you state that it is your variation on such and such design..

Variac

:captain:

What do you mean finally Variac?

I am not very good to read english..if the guy do not write direct words..saying clear what they mean i have not the competence to understand.

Yesterday a friend said transformer sounds!.... i thougth he migth be drunk saying that .... but depending what he is talking abhout can really sounds!...really sounds if it is an interstage transformer, or an output transformer..so... things must be very clear to non native english speakers... power transformer does not sound...but inter stage transformer and output transformer, or input transformer, of course can affect sonics..this is what i mean... detailed things.... the sentence "transformer sounds" say not too much, as there are many kinds and types of transformers.

I have opened the Dx amplifier, builders thread, to reduce the ammount of informations..to make it short and having all the needed informations to builders.

Is that fine?.... are you saying this is fine?.. are you supporting old Charlie?

Said the thread is big...is this a critic?.... a worry?... a complain... a suggestion...an advise?

To accept people changing things into the amplifier..this is something i cannot accept using the Dx name and the Dx thread as supporting base to that.... or the guy take the responsability by his modifications and baptise the amplifier with another name,beeing responsable, or i will not be there to assist people destroying the original design, the original sonics and performance tuned carefully by ears... doing that to exercise the rigth to make modifications..this will burn the amplifier image.

But, opening other thread, using another amplifier name...if the guy wants can say his amplifier as based, or inspired into the Dx, Aksa or that bootstrapp technology..i do not see problems....but to modify, using Dx name, into a Dx thread..well..this is threadjacking and unaceptable...i will not be there..for sure.

Alike i did my amplifiers referenced, and based, into the Aksa..others can do based on mine or other designs..and there are multiple variations around the same theme in our solid state forum..but they took the responsability..they used another brand name...they re-calculate, they built and they tested.... giving support, schematics and all stuff to forum friends...this is fair...beeing responsable...but inside the Dx thread..using Dx name..they will send to me the responsability..they can kill the sonics, they can produce almost another amplifier, but i do not want to be responsable

I would like to remember friends and dear moderator Variac, that i am a portuguese speaking man... english is not my mother language, despite i effort myself at maximum, i have problems to understand sentences if not very well defined and explained into the minimum details..reason why i use to write to much..the only way to be clear when using other language than our own language.

regards,

Carlos

We do not have preventive moderation Variac...we have corrective moderation

During the thread we have not feedback if we are doing things the way moderators group wants us to conduct threads or not..we do not receive critics during and also we do not receive congratulations..we never know if we are conducting fine...and of course it is our interest, forum members and thread openers, to do things harmonically with the forum management..of course!

Now, when the thread is giant, people come to say it is giant..but before no one told nothing..so...gave me the permission to go inflating things and now observe the obvious consequence.

would be good some notes from moderators team... write less, write more...be less detailed..be more detailed..avoid too much images, or post some images as people likes... avoid social conversations, or be free to have some social....we do not know...we have news from moderators when things are already made..when we have troubles to fix as we have no time machine to travell to the past.

regards,

Carlos

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
"I am not very good to read english..if the guy do not write direct words..saying clear what they mean"

Short summary for you Carlos: Variac said..

1) a new thread is no problem. It helps people find information easier.
2) modifying other people's circuit designs is encouraged (but give credit to original designer).

so, No problem. No hidden meanings. Supporting Uncle Charlie mostly.

..Todd

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I said that the thread is very long (that is OK , there was a lot to tell)
So I am agreeing with Carlos. that it is better to start a new thread for a variation on the Dx amp. Less confusion!

I am also saying it is OK to work with and change the DX amp
or to make it the same amp but smaller and
OK to say it is based on the Dx amp.

All of this stuff happens all the time on diyAudio.

So, everyone relax and have fun making amps!
and variations on those amps!

Don't worry so much or be mad..
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.