Destroyer x Amplifier...Dx amp...my amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caveman builds amp

Biasing went pretty well. 1.055 v, -.998 v, and 1.054 v, -.997 v over 10 ohm 10 watt resisters, 1.5 mv and 1.6 mv offset.

Very simple amp. But what a sound. More pronounced bass and less pronounced trebel compared to the hrii.

Listening tests--HarmonKardon cd player, dx amp, jbl p40 consumer grade 2 way speakers.

Stravinsky Pulcinella, Naxos 8.553181. Wonderful work. Smaller chamber orchestra with voice. Strings, brass, woodwind. I want to hear what these instruments sound like before I play scratchy records and poor recordings.

Fantastic sound, really remarkable. The bass never sounded so good through the jbl's, which are nothing speciaL You can hear the flute player gulping breath, and the pads articulating the notes hitting the flute. Some of the dynamics, contra-bass, some brass swells made me jump a little bit. I managed to rescue some highly efficient electro-voice speakers I'll test next. Woe betide he who plays 50 watts through those.

Carlos, what an amp. Outstanding, terrific, a great little amp. Thank you for sharing.

Attachments

• electrovoice_sony.jpg
    electrovoice_sony.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 378
Re: All rigth Sparkle..here the information

destroyer X said:
Using the bigger supply..this one with 35 volts x 2

Your output power will be 188 Watts Rms over 4 ohms
94 Watts Rms over 8 ohms

R14 will be 220 ohms and bias trimpot in the middle range.

Vr1 will have adjustment around 7700 ohms

R10 will be 1K8

Carlos

It is obselte , does that mean instead of using R24 as 2.2 kOhm should I use 220 Ohm as you mention cus am using 35x2 volts for power supply which mean 42 plus minus on both rails

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Hi Carlos, that amp sounds pretty good, when you upload a new movie of a amp, it is a good idea to play say some music from your dx standard than a bit from the new amp, that way we can compare a little as to the sound of the new amp.

I ve finally recovered my computer system, so check your email box for that schematic you asked for.

Boa pascoa
Alex

Thank you
what I meant to ask you is that am using 40x2 volts plus minus
instead of 35x2 .
About the Bias circuit , should I use 220 Ohm ( R24 in the schematic ) or keep on using 2.2 Kohm .
and what about the R15 R18 instead of 82 Ohm , using 180 Ohm .
Thank you

Attachments

• dx%20amplifier-dx%20amplifier%20schematic-1.png
    dx%20amplifier-dx%20amplifier%20schematic-1.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 295
Keep 2K2...sorry, but 220 is wrong.

my mistake.

180 ohms turns the amplifier better in quality but looses power.

As you gonna use 40 volts, no problem to use 180 ohms into the positive rail.

This amplifier can operate, without modification, till 42 volts..so...your supply voltage is good and will not ask any kind of modifications.

Just assemble it correctly and it will play immediatelly.

regards,

Carlos

HELP ...... HELP ...... HELP
Yes , am following Greg website instructions on adjusting the DX bias, and trimming DC offset
I measured 11.2 volts around the protective resistor on the positive rail with the trim pot on 1 kohm ( turned to the max ) .
and when turning the trim pot lower the voltage go higher
I didnt complete the adjusting cus something wrong .
I will double check the circuit board and soldering joint and the transistors , Anything else ?

:confused:
:hot:
:bawling:
:eek:

Take it easy.... relax because things are better than you can imagine

Your bias trimpot is adjusting...this seems the circuit may be fine...some differences in transistors, resistances, some minor errors can cause this.

Try, in advance..as first try, to include a resistance in series with your trimpot.... place a 330 ohms for instance..or 220ohms if you have it...can be even 390 ohms,.

It is normal when you reduce the bias trimpot resistance to obtain increasing in current...so...your bias trimpot is operating...this means bias circuit is fine and bootstrap resistances are too..and also VAS transistor is conducting.

In advance to check the all stuff...try to include and try to adjust once again.

I hope this voltage is over 10 ohms resistance..because if not.... everything will be different...current is the result of the division from the voltage you have measured by the resistance you are using...so.... 1 Volt into 10 ohms means 100 miliamperes (0.1A) and this is acceptable!!!..better if you find 600 milivolts or less, and over 10 ohms resistance.

11 Volts means more than one ampere... this is too much!

Relax man... everything gonna be all rigth..i am here...and never fear when Charlie is here.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• include this one and try again.gif
    include this one and try again.gif
    61.1 KB · Views: 606
I think you are talking about the Dx Amplifier, the Dx Standard

the one (the main one) we are exploring in this thread.

here you can see a simulation with the trimpot into 1K... you see the current value.... this means some resistance you're using is diferent than the standard value..or some transistor gain.... but relax... soon you will find the guilty.

If the 330 ohms resistance inclusion did not satisfy..them go checking all amplifier... measure all resistances.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• current with 1k.gif
    current with 1k.gif
    26.7 KB · Views: 652
When you increase the bias trimpot resistance

You will have more voltage drop over this resistance... this means base to emitter voltage willl increase.... when this voltage increases, the resistance from colector to emitter decreases...decreasing the colector to emitter resistance the voltage drop from colector to emitter also decreases.. this will produce less drive voltage to the output transistors, as a result they will conduct less..current will be reduced.

When you decrease the bias trimpot resistance, you gonna have less voltage drop over this resistance..and this have as result the reduction of base to emitter voltage... reducing the base to emitter voltage you gonna have increasing into the colector to emiter resistance.... this increase in resistance will cause an increase of voltage drop from colector to emitter...this increase in voltage will drive the output transistors more.... and this will cause more current consumption.

So... reducing the bias trimpot resistance, in this circuit, you gonna have more current into the output stage....and increasing the bias trimpot resistance will result in less current into the output stage.

Circuit is the published as standard...a NPN transistor... a 2K2 resistance from colector to base and a 1K variable resistance, a trimpot, from base to emitter..and this one, as standard to start adjustments, must be pre set measuring 750 ohms resistance.

This is good to almost all cases..but depends the bootstrapp current, also how driven is the VAS transistors..the transistors gain and the supply voltage.

regards,

Carlos

Thank you , Thank you , Thank you which isnt enough for being you here to help .
the Guilty was TIP 42 , short transistor and now am playing the DX amp with the volume almost all the way Up high and soon I need to get a new glass for the windows here in my room .
Deep bass .
But , on the PSU used with the amp , Two leds for indication .
the one on positive rail turn off faster than the one on negative rail .
will do some more checking but now on the psu and capacitors .

DX playing in Syria . :) :)

Oh!... very good...so Siria is your place?

I was trying to discover, clicking into the flag and could not.

There's some way to discover but i could not remember how to do it clicking into the flag.

I am glad you are happy with your amplifier.

You have a sensitivity adjustment.... into the second differential transistor you have a 2K2 resistance connected to the base... reducing it you gonna have more sensitivity, needing less volume into the input to force the amplifier enter distortion (real full power).... increasing it you gonna have less sensitivity.

Full power must enter distortion...so... it seems your resistance is not fine to your audio source output level.

I am glad you have apreciated.

Dx Corporation send you the most warm thanks by your preference, and congratulates you because you could assemble it fast and almost no significative errors.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• ... small forum,.jpg
    ... small forum,.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 567
Status
Not open for further replies.