... no problem

Attachments

• dxhresii-vr-brd3.gif
    dxhresii-vr-brd3.gif
    40.6 KB · Views: 511
Nordic,

Sure I can do that. But...

:cheerful: :spin: :lickface:

Yay I can make humming noises. No latch up, offset 0.1mv and I can set the bias ! Oh, now I can set it, what should I set it to ? Does 22ma sound about right ?

I made another Vbias board, a simple one without the capacitors, and everything looks to be working fine. I will check the previous board for problems, but for now ecat = happy cat. Got any cream ?

Carlos,

Once again, thank you so much for your help, words of reassurance and useful tips on all the other things you can be doing while resting from your troubles.

Hugh,

Thank you too.

Nordic,

Thank you for all the help and feedback on the board. I know it's not perfect, a long way from that. But. Yay, onto version 2 :) Our boards are quite similar so I would guess your sexy curves should work even better.

Anyone else I've forgotten, forgive my memory, thanks to you too.

Yay

Oh, I already did that bit. Let me see. It's only 22:30, do you think the neighbors would enjoy some music ? (ecat also = evil cat)

20 minutes dancing with Gwen S. and no problems to report. Lovely. All the amps are christened by Gwen, this is why all the amps are happy amps. Also it's the only music I have on this pc.

Carlos,

More questions, I'm sorry. What is the recommended bias setting and what value resistors for the differential ? I'll double check everything tomorrow.

:):):)

Check bias over the output emitter resistances

Measuring there, force a small current crossing the output.

If you are using 0.22 ohms, measuring directly over the resistance extremes..... so..... try to measure 2 milivolts, this will produce 9 miliamps crossing the output into stand by mode.... this way... from 30 to 35 miliamperes will be into the positive rail.

Check all VBE... they must be bigger than 570 milivolts in all transistors.... the best possible information that your amplifier is fine comes from this measurement... wrong bias, unballanced circuit and errors appear clearly underbiasing (less than 500 milivolts in my opinion) and overbiasing (more than 630 milivolts in my opinion).. perceive that people understand 650 milivolts as standard..so..my opinion is not the traditional, not the most common idea about..of course i may be wrong, as the big majority understand, and accept, that 650 milivolts is normal..in my mind it normal, no doubts, for real class A circuits... that can go to 700.... those nice heater amplifiers... that warm people or the Artic Circle and produces wonderfull sound...but impossible into my country..here is too much hot to those "exotic" owen .

That Vbe multiplier condenser you had, maybe defective, maybe inverted..... it reduces distortion when you will be near the limits of clipping... 22uf is the biggest possible value there...more will be overkill and you will not perceive any advantage.

Sounds nice.... distortion is many times lower than the Dx standard.... audio is nice, more focused...more brigth, presence on trebles and mid ranges are superior, bass is detailed, controled and perfect.... a very nice sonics.

I will be happy to listen, from you, how is the sonics into your ear/brain and heart...and how much different, how much better (or maybe worst) related Dx into your perception.... i do not feel that as defect...i perceive more as an effect, and many folks perceive that as crispy, as detailed, feeling this as quality....i have my doubts if quality or not quality...but the "effect" is interesting.

The modifications is easy...having the holes into the boards, will be easy to revert to the standard circuit.... and this one, the HR-II is more "acceptable" as others more modern circuits....has the modern sound of our present times.

Those condensers, the VBE multiplier and the capacitor you have into the driver emitters works during the threshold of clipping...the amplifier distorts less...or distorts less ugly compared with the standard Dx, and also compared with other amplifier that have not those "folks" into the circuit.

I hope you like.

regards,

Carlos

I have downloaded 31 musics from Gwen Stefani during this nigth

Very nice musics, interesting and make us dance....but.... recording quality seems not very good...crowdy music in a such way you cannot focus your attention into something special.

I made downloads of MP3 musics, from Gwen Steffani, and into 320K bitrate only.

I think your amplifier, will need better recording to show quality.

This kind of music...so crowdy it is, may result better into Dx standard because of higher power on bass and drums.

I have a better quality sound (not music, as i do not even know their name...or what they say....i use to listen harmony, music, dinamics, quality).... say, i do not use to listen music... it is another aproach... there's another kind of observation.

If you wanna some sample...not good music.....just good audio, i can send you...and nothing from outside earth....even with worst sampling rate the sound is better, also because not crowdy.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• sonics quality.gif
    sonics quality.gif
    46.6 KB · Views: 413
Observe the guitar player fingers into the strings

The horizontal movement, finger skidding into strings,scratching strings, produce squeaks....noises with a lot of nice harmonics, some of them of high frequencies, a complex tone.

A bad amplifier may reproduce that as an automobile with the wheels blocked ( a non ABS provided automobile).. skiding and producing noises....but the high frequency content, hard to reproduce, as has many phases all together, many tones and many harmonics....this need precision.

Try the music, as an experience, you may hate the music...very sad i think, not so good, not so nice...but demonstrate quality...show quality, to every good amplifier....good ones, will reproduce this sound so great that women will complain..they hate that sound!

regards,

Carlos

Yes, Gwen is pure pop and as is the way with pop music, it is compressed to the limit. CD's gave the recording industry 90db dynamic range, the recording industry decided to use only the top 5 db. I sit and watch the level meters on my cross-over, only a single led would be needed. Music: On/Off.

http://georgegraham.com/compress.html

Gwen is also very cute, but if I had to take a music bride Tori Amos would be my choice, such a shame she is barking mad. Second choice bride would be Bjork - again mad as a hatter, I'm starting to see a pattern here.

Certainly if you have beautiful music you wish to share then send it my way. Mailbox limit is 10mb if I remember correctly and no one's changed it.

Yes.... very bad....they are killing sound with those recordings

I could not recognize you within my UK adresses.

Send me once again your mail.... then i will know the one is yours.

I will upload the one i told for you...my pleasure...if more folks want... tell me, this way i will upload once.... will save my time uploading once.

panzertoo@yahoo.com

regards,

Carlos

So, I should have come home and adjusted the bias of the amp, checked the Vbe's and replaced the 2k res. in the differential with either more optimal values or bc546's.

That's what I should have done. Instead I've had music playing through it for the past hour at realistic volume. Excellent. Remember I have done no final optimisation but the amp is stunning. Base is plenty. The detail is not just in the sound, it is also around the sound, instruments and voices have a local ambiance all to themselves. Dynamics span the scale from a plucked string to a crashing crescendo and do so with ease. Nothing sounds forced, nothing sounds harsh, nothing more I can say.

Lovely amp Carlos.

Playing for a hour and the heatsink is not even warm. The driver transistors show no signs for stress, do they require little heatsinks ?

Yes... do not trust in this iddle warm on them...they can increase in such

a way that we gonna loose control, as they are not into the heatsinks...the drivers, those ones worries me.

Include small pieces of aluminium or copper... square or rectangular...beeing square, 20 by 20 milimeters will be fine...well..if other shape, you already have the area.

Thank you...i also think it is excelent...but thank you by your first analisis.

Enjoy Dx amplifier folks..... it is for Free....and sounds alike several thousand dollars units.

The most cheap option, with even better sonics is Aksa Soraya...other options are more expensive.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• vu meter.gif
    vu meter.gif
    77.1 KB · Views: 328
Attached is an image of the Vbias circuit I first built. caps are between collector and emitter, 22uf 25v + 100nf. Just the Dx circuit with added caps. It was while using this that I had all my problems.

Last night I built a VBias board without the caps, my problems went away. I've just tried fitting the 22uf cap to the working board and my problems are back once more. Cut out the cap and they go away.

So, either I have a problem with my board or the 22uf cap should not go on external the Vbias board or something else is going on.

Any words of wisdom welcome :)

Attachments

• 1stvbias.jpg
    1stvbias.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 335
I have, absolutelly, no idea what happened.

I suggest you to keep the condenser out, as you had better results without it.

It will work during clipping...so.... in normal levels of audition it will do nothing...beeing there or not.... no problems.

Strawberries with cream... milk cream or whipped cream...chantilly cream may fit very well...last option, yogurt to take the cream's place...both very cold and suggar...ahahahaha.

nice that....very nice.

Related condensers....one less "do nothing" in our lifes...working only into clipping..but who will listen clipping sound?

I could not find other benefit, other good thing ... transistor is bidirectional, so audio will cross...swing will be there, both positive and negative swing.... circuit will survive without it...or...keep the small one, the 100N....if the one did not produce the infrasonics oscilation, that crazy small woofer movement...

regards,

Carlos

I suspect you may have inverted the polarity on that cap....or it died closed circuit.
It can not break ohms law.

Anyhow...... received a package in the mail today from e-bay purchace (go US mail!!! only 5 days) 25x 22pf silver mica 100v measured them all and the tolerances were pretty tight.

Now I can also use pretty micas like Carlos.....

Dont have anything to do tommorrow.. so will remove input caps.... I know how much detail those can hide... have more than enough series capacitance from preamp stage, not to worry about DC input... also preamp latches its output to ground on power down...

Nordic,

Grats on the silver mica's :)

You have me thinking Nordic, I checked the cap but I did re-use the same one for the second test. Warming the iron as I type.

Did you read the post from Carlos a little further up the page ? We need to find room for small heatsinks for the drivers on the HiRes boards <gulp>.

Oh well, so much for that theory.

Used a brand new 22uf 100v cap on the Vbias board. Problem.
Added another 22uf cap in series. Problem.
Removed the caps from the Vbias board and wired the 22uf 100v cap to the back of the board. Problem.

Humm, confession time. To get the best match for the four differential transistors I used a pair of bc556B's, higher gain, easier to match with the 546's. It's a little late, maybe I'll try swapping a pair of bc556A's in tomorrow.

As you say Carlos, it's not a problem to leave the caps out, but it is a mystery and I do like mysteries.
ecat = curious cat

Status
Not open for further replies.