Destroyer x Amplifier...Dx amp...my amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carlos,

Could I add something here to help defuse things?

I think you are being too sensitive - and I'm convinced that Andrew is not attacking you personally. I know him a little and he's a lovely chap, a very gifted mechanical engineer actually, who like me is a petrol head. He has built a quite remarkable hill climb race car and he loves audio just like all of us.

This forum medium is very easy to misunderstand. People get the wrong impression so quickly - if there is a chance to make a negative observation, people jump to it and then the other guy's name is mud. In fact, most people are pretty decent, the main thing is to prevent nasty feelings arising, because then people turn hostile, and all is lost.

Everyone on this forum appreciates your enthusiasm, your extraordinary speed to try out new ideas, build up amps, and your amazing personality which has won almost everyone over. Andrew can be pointed, even a little pedantic at times, but he tries to help people and his comments are not about ego, it's a desire to contribute constructively. Be generous, Carlos, accept his very accurate and helpful criticisms, and don't assume that someone who corrects you is against you.

I did not speak with Andrew; I offer this spontaneously and hope it's helpful.

Cheers,

Hugh

Well dear Hugh.... you know i am connected to you as a brother

If you say this way i will accept that as a possible true.

Very different than my personal experience with this folk.... things happened and you do not know.

Very annoying he was and not once...but you see...forum rules do not accept analisis...you have to be very clear into an offense to be considered "against the law"...so.... as happened with Graham...you can be mined very softly... till the patience goes... than you explode and then moderators see the fire.

Get him..... he is putting fire!..ahahahahha

I am here, if something need my presence...i will he here...but really.... i have lost the confidence into the management range.... how long the long arm of the law can reach...and no more confortable here.

Thank you.

I suggest you to keep things rolling, and to forget this subject..because no evidence....no harm made.

As you told...he is nice, and i am, maybe be delirating.

There's one say in my country... maybe has value to you dear Hugh

"Where you can see smoke, probably has fire too"

How long i am in this forum?.... count how many folks i have pointed as annoying?.... what is my standard, traditional, common, daily behavior?...nothing strange that i am pointing that something is wrong.. and have asked moderator's help?

Smoke=fire

regards,

Carlos

Nordic, now you have me whistling, a bad sign ;)

More eagle play I'm afraid, needs a tidy but looks ok :

Output follows more closely the Dx design.

A little more room for big caps.

Peacock earth.

Separate earths for output, this simplifies layout and these earth points must be run back to the psu.

Additional space around c13 and c21, I'm trying to allow for silver-mica caps.

Op transistors are now spaced the same as on the Dx board, now I can reuse my Dx heatsinks without drilling more holes :)

Attachments

• dxhresii-vr.gif
    dxhresii-vr.gif
    39 KB · Views: 350
You see...how obvious are those things

Nice Andrew sent me mail...so...he may be nice...trying some conversation.

A perfect "political accepted" behavior....this is clear to the forum.

This is very obvious...life is not so obvious.

Probably he will say:

"What is happening...i woke up with all this noise!"

I do not want to talk about this subject, to discuss or even make mention, because my experience in the forum said to me that i will be in bad sittuation if continue to talk.

Finger down he said...very clear.

Carlos

Two questions.

1) Are protection diodes needed across the transistors in the v.reg / capacitance multiplier ?

2) Lots of transistors have just arrived through my door. The 546 and 556 require matching. Any advice on this would be welcome, do I just match the gain of a 546 pair then match the gain of a 556 pair, or should I try to match the gain of all 4 ?

Re: You see...how obvious are those things

destroyer X said:

Nice Andrew sent me mail...so...he may be nice...trying some conversation.

A perfect "political accepted" behavior....this is clear to the forum.

This is very obvious...life is not so obvious.

Probably he will say:

"What is happening...i woke up with all this noise!"

I do not want to talk about this subject, to discuss or even make mention, because my experience in the forum said to me that i will be in bad sittuation if continue to talk.

Finger down he said...very clear.

Carlos
Carlos,
can I have permission to post my Email to you here?

Oops, I can't do that. The Forum's internal mail system does not keep copies on the sender's PC.

ecat said:
....The 546 and 556 require matching. Any advice on this would be welcome, do I just match the gain of a 546 pair then match the gain of a 556 pair, or should I try to match the gain of all 4 ?
Leach says it's best to match all four in a dual complementary LTP.
I think this is generally impossible. The NPN are usually better than the PNP.
I try to match the NPNs and separately match the PNPs.

Forget about using the hFE function built into many DMMs.

Set up a test rig. Arrange for the operational current to flow through the transistor.
Measure Vbe and match these to <=+-1mV.
Once you have sets of similar Vbe, retest each set and this time measure hFE at the same operational current. Try to find <=5% variation. Check the Vbe again just in case errors have crept in.

When measuring hFE, allow for the loading effect of adding the DMM probes across the measuring resistor.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Andrew and Carlos,

While a possible agreement between both of you would be an interesting read for others, let me ask you to keep this within private communication and keep this thread on topic.
I’m sure we will soon notice that both camps have found a modus vivendi.

/Hugo

Have you learned how to use the split tool yet? it is just above the routeing button... click a line or corner and drag it, right clicking will cycle through corner types...

Here is my board with the relay connected to the optional capacitor... the relay can easily be ommited, and just the two pins at the bottom bridged...

I guess sometimes life gets lost in translation, but as you said where there is smoke there is often fire... well there is enough smokeing guns left were help was offered freely... so maybe there is a fire of helpfullness... I can't imagine someone would log in daily just to upset other people...

Attachments

• dxiiig.gif
    dxiiig.gif
    43 KB · Views: 577
Transistor matching

Andrew's advice is absolutely correct.
The DMM across the base emitter junction will reduce the device's apparent HFE because of the small amount of loading by the DMM. It is also essential to not use a conventional transistor test in a DMM, as the device should not be measured for VBE until the temperature has stabilised after handling. Ideally, you need to quickly take a reading using a pushbutton to apply base current, with the DMM leads already connected across the base -emitter junction. Matching can be a very fiddly, and time consuming effort. However, the end results are usually very worthwhile.

SandyK

Transistor matching

Thank you Sandy.

I think I'm beginning to like more and more the version Carlos prefers, the one with only two transistors, lol.

Tweak and twiddle and tweak again. Baring any major foo-bars this is probably the almost final board. Honestly I have to stop looking at it, every time I see the possibility to move something just a little. I see blue lines when I close my eyes and my mind is starting to miter road junctions.

Attachments

• dxhresii-vr-brd2.gif
    dxhresii-vr-brd2.gif
    41.1 KB · Views: 557
Increase the differential colector resistances to around 2K

And install the VAS shown into the High Resolution.

This VAS came from Doctor Self, and resulted excelent into Dx standard and into the High Resolution.

The VAS is constituted into two transistors, you can see it into the last schematic made by Ecat and into the schematic that has green and blue border.... frame may be the correct name.

Only this VAS inclusion will produce the results...better sound stage and better sonics... the differential arrange into resistance were made because to this VAS, to supply a good voltage to bias the VAS input.

regards,

Carlos

.......................................................................................................

Good work Ecat and Nordic

I am following your progress...very good.

regards,

Carlos

I am following your progress..

Progress has stopped while I run around hitting things and shouting obscenities. I took a day off work to await the deliveries, 2 little ones and the big important one. Monday is a holiday as well so everything was wonderful.

Two little parcels here. One big important parcel somewhere else. Not the suppliers fault, looks like at some point the parcel failed to make it onto the lorry. GRRRRR. Best they can do is Tuesday :redhot: :bawling: :headbash: :gnasher:

Once I calm down I'll see if I can make the best of a bad job. I still have 4 Dx to box after all. Then again there is always the new computer game Bio Shock, but if I start that you may not see me again for a month.

I'd wait for the patch...

I can live with many bugs if the game is good enough : un-patched Morowind, VTM: Bloodlines etc. I guess being a computer programmer makes me bug tolerant <chuckle>

As for monitors, I have a 21" Dell CRT at home, one of the last CRT's they made, it cost me £79 about $150 and I love it. I've not bought into the LCD revolution yet. I have a lap top, 2 22" Dell LCDs and 2 19" Sony LCDs at work and while they are very good, most of the time, they just don't do it for me yet.

Ah, wide screen monitors. Humm, manufacturers love them but for the customer it's often a case of width without height, fine for TV's maybe not so good for monitors. Let's see, I run at 1600x1200 and this monitor has a screen height of 300mm. At 16:9 I would need a width of 533mm, 611mm diagonal, that's 24" visible which is not cheap.

<chuckle> lcd's and wide screen, you managed to hit two of my pet annoyances.

Status
Not open for further replies.