Post your Solid State pics here

I'd go with something better every time, because its better. Speakon's are safe(*), positive locking, polarity-keyed, prevent accidental shorts, very high current rated (some Neutrik's are 40A rms continuous - more than standard terminal posts), standardized and strain-relieved.

They are simpler/easier to use behind equipment by feel, you don't have to grovel around figuring out which wire goes where amongst all the dust.

The socket doesn't get damaged with lugging equipment about like terminal posts can be.

There are downsides for instance the cable will be more complicated to make up, esp. if using stereo plug to two separate speakers.

(*) Some speaker systems are high voltage in the meaning of the act, children can't stick their fingers in a speakon socket and get shocked by 100Vac or whatever (they just get deafened by the SPL!).

Poor mans Bryston 4bsst
Almost finished needs a little chassis work.

Attachments

• 20190718_183506.jpg
    20190718_183506.jpg
    805.1 KB · Views: 853
  • 20190718_182734.jpg
    20190718_182734.jpg
    907.7 KB · Views: 840
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
polarity-keyed, prevent accidental shorts… and strain-relieved

Two of the features i like about 5-way posts, if you use dual-males (i like the Pomonas) — and they allow for easy change of polarity. And as far as current goes, who cares, in most cases it is irrelevant. For those that use over-thick speaker cables too.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The socket doesn't get damaged with lugging equipment about like terminal posts can be

Not an issue if the posts are properly mounted (at least on the speaker side). 5-way posts also means you can use them in a pinch with many other kinds of connectors — try sticking bare wire into a Speak-On.

dave

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Dave,
Something better than 5-way binding posts existed early in time. Barrier strips. Or, you can cut ring terminals into a "C" shape and use that with 5-way binding posts. However, the best right now is the speak-on.

Those banana plugs you showed will not handle very high current continuously.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Dave,
Make an adapter. I did for the various connectors used for speaker terminals. The speak-on was a god sent for me. Otherwise I would be using dual 5 way binding posts. The speak-on save me a great deal of time and prevents having to constantly redo the bench ends of my cables. The one cable I don't have at the moment is speak-on to speak-on. I will welcome that necessity.

-Chris