Post your Solid State pics here

guts (when it was still being built)

Attachments

• ucd400guts.jpg
    ucd400guts.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 14,088
cowanrg said:

i got them from raw materials :)

they were built from scratch really. the heatsinks were bought surplus, re-machined and surfaced, the entire case was milled from plates, same with the faceplate.

Congratulations Cowangr
This construction is an absolutely true DIY process. I have two questions. First, the bending of side panels is your work? Second, the aluminium panels are painted or anodized? Your information about these will be very precious to me.
Kind regards
Fotios

fotios said:

Congratulations Cowangr
This construction is an absolutely true DIY process. I have two questions. First, the bending of side panels is your work? Second, the aluminium panels are painted or anodized? Your information about these will be very precious to me.
Kind regards
Fotios

im not sure what you mean about bending the side panels. the side panels are 3/8" thick and are flat plates. the case is made up of 5 plates. sides are 3/8" thick and top and back are 1/8", and bottom is 1/4".

they entire case is powder coated. it was sanded, acid-dipped, blasted, then powder-coated. the paint will not come off easily. you can bang them around pretty good and it wont scratch or chip.

Bonsai said:
I think you scared 'em off with the standard of your construction! You've got some nice looking stuff.

thanks.

i wish i still had a picture of my FIRST amp ever. some of the veterans might remember it. it's case consisted of 2 small cardboard boxes. i didnt have many tools, so a screwdriver was my only drill, and it will only drill through cardboard. so, binding posts, rca jacks, and IEC were 'mounted' into the cardboard.

it was 2 boxes because it was dual mono, with separate power supply box. there were 2 3-pin xlr jacks connecting both channels of power from main box to secondary box. haha. it was hilarious. it was a gainclone.

i wish i still had pictures, im sure someone does.

cowanrg said:
did this thread just die????

5 pages, and that's it? more people have done solid state than this. come on guys, post your pictures!

My friend, “you sent us unreadable” as we get used to say in Hellenic language (that means “you buried us without funeral rites” in your language). Why I say this? Because the smaller amplifier that i constructed (there is his photo in the top of page 3) with output power of 2X170Wrms/8Ù and with the better materials of market it costs about 350 € and a box for this -at order- it costs also 350€! Is not irritating this? Our friend Bonsai as a lot of other they make their constructions for hobby, while as evidently it appears you try to earn also some money through this. I make the same as you, because I do not have other work apart from this here to earn money and this is not bad. In the previous years, I have spent enough money and labour to construct or to buy auxiliary devices to complete my researches. An example is the automatic controlled heavy power supply that appears in the photo below. It took to me a time of 2 months to make it from the scratch, and really without this I would not have achieved anything. Also the diy dummy load presented and the digital oscilloscope. In any case here exists a entire philosophy behind the diy constructions and I do not want to get in other details because will begin each one to write anything it comes in his mind as it happened in some of my previous threads. I will explain to you now the bending process, because I debited with 650€ my credit card to by a 150A inverter welding machine and a 2000W grinder wheel with support table to construct a hand-operated bending machine (a copy of a ready made by Clarke which costs 67€ + shipping for Greece 67€ total 134€). Below you will see photos. This moment I search for a milling machine or a cross table because i have already a 550W vertical drilling machine and the cost is between 65€ for small tables to 650€ for large tables or for a complete milling machine with 400X180mm table (i.e. Wabeco 24600 of 680€). Tell me more about the painting process, the powder coating, the acid cleaning of aluminum plates etc. The polishing is not a serious problem. Thanks for your interesting and please stay in contact to interchange information.
Fotios

Attachments

• variac.jpg
    variac.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 11,180
Quasi's Quasi

This is the amplifier created in the thread "Power Amp Under Development"

It is more than 2 years old now and has performed without fault. Sadly it has resided at a friends house for most of this time where it gets more use than it would at my home.

I estimate about 100 or more stereo varients have been built. This one incorporates 2 x Nmos350 amp modules, DC protection and soft turn on. Others built have reportedly achieved powers approaching 500 watts into 4 ohms using Nmos500 modules with large power supplies.

Top View:

Attachments

• p4251693d.jpg
    p4251693d.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 11,554
Rear View

The fan is a mains rated type slowed down by a series capacitor. It turns very slowly (inaudible) and is only there to provide some ventilation for the internal components. The output devices rely on the natural convection of the heatsinks.

The amp delivers just over 200 watts per channel into 8 ohms and around 350 into 4 (RMS, single channel driven).

Cheers
Quasi

Attachments

• p4251703d.jpg
    p4251703d.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 7,810