Post your Solid State pics here. - Page 268 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st November 2012, 09:17 AM   #2671
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjr View Post
...but I thought the black on silver looked kind cool so I went with them instead.
I have some knobs like that -- Fender guitar knobs IIRC

dacve
Old 1st November 2012, 10:29 PM   #2672
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'm a real stickler for details, and finding just the right sized knobs was one of the more difficult tasks. They were either to big, or too small, and IMO knobs have to be proportioned just right or they'll look funny on the finished product. I did find some very sleek, modern looking knobs, but alas none fit the size of my panel well. I did end up buying a set of silver knobs too that were the same size and design, but I thought the black on silver looked kind cool so I went with them instead. I guess it does look kinda of 60.ish, but still with clean lines.
Very nice! I would use a bigger knob just for the volume to give a different look from the rest that is the only thing I would do to it.
Old 2nd November 2012, 03:29 AM   #2673
redjr is offline redjr  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanchile View Post
Very nice! I would use a bigger knob just for the volume to give a different look from the rest that is the only thing I would do to it.
Hi lanchile,

That was my original intent. I wanted to use a larger knob in the same series, but couldn't find one that matched exactly. If I come across one I'll swap it in.

Rick
Old 4th November 2012, 11:56 AM   #2674
vud is offline vud  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Default Apex AX-17

AX-17
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ????0118.jpg (470.1 KB, 1047 views)
File Type: jpg ????0119.jpg (883.1 KB, 931 views)
File Type: jpg ????0120.jpg (561.7 KB, 960 views)
Old 5th November 2012, 06:03 PM   #2675
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanchile View Post
Hey lanchile - I've posted an updated pic of my 2012 preamp. I was able to find a bigger knob in the same series for the volume control. I like the larger knob and prefer this look.

Rick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1080630.jpg (646.6 KB, 868 views)
Old 5th November 2012, 06:13 PM   #2676
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hey lanchile - I've posted an updated pic of my 2012 preamp. I was able to find a bigger knob in the same series for the volume control. I like the larger knob and prefer this look.

Rick
It's nice, but I think the buttons light color will be better!

Regards zeoN_Rider

Last edited by zeonrider; 5th November 2012 at 06:14 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 5th November 2012, 07:54 PM   #2677
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeonrider View Post
It's nice, but I think the buttons light color will be better!

Regards zeoN_Rider
I did buy a set of the same knobs in silver. Most equipment does keep the knobs the same color as the FP. However, I do have a couple of pieces that use black knobs too. I think the black just provides a little more contrast and interest to the look of the FP overall. The knobs are set apart from their background color adding a different, yet acceptable look.
Old 5th November 2012, 08:06 PM   #2678
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I did buy a set of the same knobs in silver. Most equipment does keep the knobs the same color as the FP. However, I do have a couple of pieces that use black knobs too. I think the black just provides a little more contrast and interest to the look of the FP overall. The knobs are set apart from their background color adding a different, yet acceptable look.
Try silver, surprised how much nicer!

Regards zeoN_Rider
Old 6th November 2012, 03:42 AM   #2679
diyAudio Member

Here's my latest effort. It's a Rod Elliott P88 preamp with one of Veteran's switching units. Chassis is a chunk of 3/4 inch aluminum channel that used to be attached to my grandpa's drill press. The bolts holding the front plate on are a bit wonky as I wasn't thinking too hard when I laid it out. Sides are 3/4 inch and top is 1/2 inch and I laid it out with the corners still square and a couple of beers later they ended up too close to the edge. Blotchy look is due to a backyard attempt at anodizing with pool chemical and a battery charger. If you do attempt to try home anodizing make sure that everything is filtered and you practice on something you don't care about. Although there are many finishing mistakes I do intend to rectify them with a ton more sanding so they will match the finish of my shigaclone which I have built into another piece of the same aluminum channel. The electronics are dead quiet and I have to give props to Rod Elliot and Veteran for top notch products that an amateur can assemble and have great results.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_4026.JPG (786.2 KB, 608 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4025.JPG (736.1 KB, 231 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4024.JPG (752.6 KB, 240 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4023.JPG (733.7 KB, 429 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4022.JPG (769.9 KB, 428 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4021.JPG (732.3 KB, 285 views)
Old 6th November 2012, 04:24 AM   #2680
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Rick
Congratulations it looks really nice now! and as always you will hear more recommendations and thoughts...But you can not please everyone as long as you like it, that what it counts . as I said before, it looks really nice and they give the contrast to the chassis!

Hide this!Advertise here!