Post your Solid State pics here. - Page 258 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th July 2012, 02:06 PM   #2571
diyAudio Member

I had a Bryston 3BST with me for about 2 weeks. I compared it with many amps. The Bryston has very tight bass and in addition goes very deep. So it has lots of weight AND bite. On other amps that do reasonably well in the 'tight' sound, do not have the weight in the bass. They sound 'lighter' ! Sounds like extended low end on the Bryston though this doesn't translate into any difference in LF frequency response between the amps.
Overall effect is that it " sounds powerful " even at low volume.

Does the M400 and P101 match up with that ? I have my own doubts.
Old 4th July 2012, 02:33 PM   #2572
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacco vermeulen View Post
Any decent examples of RC snubbers from the Vas output to the rails ?
What do you mean with "decent"? Does this include driver between VAS and output? If no driver, then it means at the input of the output transistor (usually mosfet). Sometimes we need small gate stopper, but we need it big for stability. Pavel Dudek's approach to use small gate stopper (10R) but coupled with RC (100R/100p if I'm not mistaken) was interesting to me. AND the RC filter is at the gate (after gate stopper) not before gate stopper as in M400 (but of course in M400 one RC is to accommodate 2 paralleled mosfets).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashok View Post
Does the M400 and P101 match up with that ? I have my own doubts.
That's why I said they are in different category. I will not even try to think which one is better. And 3B is not better than 4B and may be 2B.
Old 4th July 2012, 04:05 PM   #2573
diyAudio Member

Hey Jay! Have you "ever" build the M400 from hadamp.com? I asked this question because "it is not the same" as the ESP P101 as you said!!!
About Bryston amps, they are very good for sure, but when I said the M400 sounded better then some Bryston amps I was not comparing the topology, design, colors, parts etc. I just compared the sound and the M400 sounded better that is all!. When you build one M400 or T300 from hdamp.com come back and tell us if you like it or not. if you ever build the NXV200 from Aussie amplifiers and though it sounded very good (it does)...wait until you listen to the M400.
Old 4th July 2012, 04:39 PM   #2574
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

lanchile, I can't find M400 at a hadamp or headamp site. Do you have a link? And is this a version/derivative of the Carver M400?
Old 4th July 2012, 04:48 PM   #2575
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmbob View Post
lanchile, I can't find M400 at a hadamp or headamp site. Do you have a link? And is this a version/derivative of the Carver M400?
This is nothing to do with Carver! and here is the link 2sk1058 2sk2221 irfp9240 mosfet amplifier schematic

Sorry it was hdamp.com not hadamp...my mistake!

Last edited by lanchile; 4th July 2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 4th July 2012, 04:50 PM   #2576
diyAudio Member

Hi Itīs Toshiba 2sc5200 mosfet amplifier 2sk1058 2sk2221 irfp9240 2sa970 2n5401 bd139 LM3886, i will receive my kitīs soon,

best regards
Old 4th July 2012, 04:51 PM   #2577
diyAudio Member

ooops

hdamp.com,
Old 4th July 2012, 04:55 PM   #2578
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcbonfim View Post
Which one did you order the T300 or the M400? I try both and they are fantastic!
Old 4th July 2012, 05:06 PM   #2579
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Pavel Dudek's approach to use small gate stopper (10R) but coupled with RC (100R/100p if I'm not mistaken) was interesting to me. AND the RC filter is at the gate (after gate stopper) not before gate stopper as in M400 (but of course in M400 one RC is to accommodate 2 paralleled mosfets).
Ooops sorry, you're talking about RC filter connected to supply rail like in M400 (not to ground like in Pavel amp). I remember I have seen a few, and that there was quite a debate about it's function. But cannot find it right now (too many amp circuits in my harddisk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanchile View Post
wait until you listen to the M400.
I have heard many, and I care only for the best. I give you P101 because it seems you haven't heard a lot of amps. I didn't say P101 is the same with M400. I said P101 is the non-symmetrical version of the topology used in M400 (From the non-symmetrical versions there are two types: CCS and BOOTSTRAP), and would be comparable with M400. May be also JLH80 (but this amp has regulated power supply that is critical for its quality).

Unfortunately not many amps with M400 topology. I have built the same topology as M400 several times, but I favored non-symmetrical designs (single ended), which lead me to Fetzilla topology. May be that is the reason why not many amps have been built with M400 topology.

Strangely, many amps have been built with M400 topology but with cascaded VAS like the Crescendo. But honestly I prefer non-cascaded VAS like M400. And I like the two-transistor CCS. And I like MPSA92/42 better than 2N5401/5551.

Hopefully we can stop this off topic discussion before somebody complain...
Old 4th July 2012, 06:01 PM   #2580
diyAudio Member

I ordered the M400 lanchile,

Hide this!Advertise here!