Post your Solid State pics here

What side of the panel is the threaded fastener?
What carries the bolt tension into the panel?
How strong is the squishy aluminium that the rivet is made from?

It's on the top there.
There's a lip on the other side.
It's steel, not aluminum.

We're talking about holding a transformer in place, not holding a jet engine to a wing of an aircraft. Jeez.

Last edited:
AX14S

AX14 on simetric pcb made by John Bali.

Attachments

• AX14 simetric view.jpg
    AX14 simetric view.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 1,622
I'm making progress on my chip amp. I got to use my new drill press for the first time. I can finally make nice holes in sheet metal now. I installed 2 rivet nuts in M6 size for the transformers. It just so happened that they bolts they provided are also M6. I didn't plan that! wow. Anyway, I'm using the rivet nuts "backwards" so nothing pokes out of the box. There's a Twisted Pear USB receiver DAC in the center, with the Audio Sector LM3875 amps.

Hi Dirk,

Where did you get these plates for transformer? I got three toroidals from Plitron but they came without plates and screws.

On a bi-amp project I built a uni-heat sink with BPA amps on one side and MyRefs on the other. I didn't get cross-talk but at some random point severe oscillation would start - strong enough to destroy several tweeters attached to the MyRefs. After removing the HS connection plate (bottom), all five amps have been stable. All eight LM3886 chips are self-insulating TF style so I believe something was being transferred (creating large DC currents) via the heat sink.

DSC00632.JPG TA5.JPG

On a bi-amp project I built a uni-heat sink with BPA amps on one side and MyRefs on the other. I didn't get cross-talk but at some random point severe oscillation would start - strong enough to destroy several tweeters attached to the MyRefs. After removing the HS connection plate (bottom), all five amps have been stable. All eight LM3886 chips are self-insulating TF style so I believe something was being transferred (creating large DC currents) via the heat sink.

Yeah, that is strange. There shouldn't be anything in the heat sink. Was it grounded?

Dirk, no I didn't get that far. the project has always been mounted on thin plywood.I have thought about the need for grounding but won't attempt it till I get some really cheap tweeters. The three I blew were decent quality Vifa drivers (ouch!). I've put that project on the shelf till I get the integrated build done, but will take your advice when I get back to it.

Thanks

Dirk, no I didn't get that far. the project has always been mounted on thin plywood.I have thought about the need for grounding but won't attempt it till I get some really cheap tweeters. The three I blew were decent quality Vifa drivers (ouch!). I've put that project on the shelf till I get the integrated build done, but will take your advice when I get back to it.

Thanks

Oh! I'm not offering advice! I actually don't know if the heatsinks should be grounded. It's my assumption though that it would be best. Good luck!