Post your Solid State pics here

garden amp

I found that I enjoyed listening to music in the garden more than in the living room, I hasten to add I can play at any volume ,in the garden that is! There are no neighbours near enough to be bothered by my excesses.To that end I bought a load of 8" bass/mid for a snip on ebay and along with some tweeters coupled them up in a pair of column cabinets to hang on the wall. I decided that due to the fact that I could only use rudimentary and very un-scientific crossovers .I would drive them Via some sort of Graphic Equalizer. It was then I came up with the Idea of putting one of the new breed of Class d chip amps inside a G.E. to make up an integrated amp. I also realised that If I bought a 24V @5 amp printer PSU I would not have to mess around with transformers etc. I actually also fitted the tuner section of one of those little red tuner amps you see advertised for boats and bikes.(the amp chips were blown) They have a PLL tuner chip and given enough aerial signal they perform adequately for this application. I have therefore made a cheap and cheerful Lo-Cost but powerful receiver with the ability to adjust for the speakers main deficiencies. Maybe not Hi-Fi but fantastic stage imaging without all those room reflections. Queen live @ Wembley is breathtaking, It's like Freddie's standing in front of the wall. I tend to like live rock concert recordings like Leeds,and Get your Ya Ya's etc and they really suit this open air reproduction.

Here's a couple of Photo's of the finished receiver.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

My recent built, Erno Borbely's New Frontier Balanced Pre-amp:

Attachments

• IMGP0301.jpg
    IMGP0301.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 1,341
  • IMGP0302.jpg
    IMGP0302.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 1,328
This is the accompanying main amplifier. I built it a couple of months before the preamplifier and I still use it today. Because of the heavier components (transformer, heatsink) I couldn't build it into a tin can (not even a large pickle can), so I used a more regular enclosure. It is a 2 times 20 W (in 8 ohm) class AB amplifier with class AB control loop.

Attachments

• versterker.JPG
    versterker.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 632