Post your Solid State pics here

Nice case Nico. Where did you get it from?
It is Designed by my good buddy Russ Torlage in Canada and custom made in China by a company who does his cases. Still some refinements needed.

Relatively expensive machined face plates with the back lit trade marked logo, does look nice though. While speaker protection is activated the logo lights up red and changes to white when all is clear.

This more or less sums up my life for two years but coming together nicely now.

Full Germanium Monoblocks

The new 4 day holiday build (BTW happy new year everybody)
Here i present my newly finished Full complementary class a/b Germanium mono blocks. (no interstage transformers)
I will post better pictures and schematics in the near future (only had my phone camera for now).
The setup is classic, so a singleton input stage, VAS, VBE Multiplier, Sziklai output pairs & bootstrapped of course. (only had so many good devices!)

Some Specs:
1* Voltage: 18 MAX
2* Frequency bandwidth: Not applicable (don't have full specs for the Low Power transistors) but enough.
3* Output Power: what 18 Volts allows.

Transistors: (these are all matched highest gain gold lead units)
Singleton: SFT353 pnp
VAS: AC187 npn
VBE: AC187 npn
Driver: AC187 npn
Driver: SFT325 pnp
Output: AD164 / AD165 pnp/npn TO66 devices

The sound actually surprised me, it's much better then i expected considering the devices used and the design concept. It's almost tube like (dampening factor i guess;)!!)

Grtz, Pim

Attachments

• AC187.pdf
    37 KB · Views: 378
  • Amp II.png
    Amp II.png
    544.7 KB · Views: 1,696
  • Amp I.png
    Amp I.png
    631.3 KB · Views: 1,803
  • SFT353.pdf
    37.5 KB · Views: 179
  • SFT325.pdf
    38.3 KB · Views: 77
  • AD165.pdf
    36.7 KB · Views: 77
  • AD164.pdf
    36.9 KB · Views: 77
Here's some picks of a CMoy style HP amp: Based on the high performance OPA2134 OPamp chip this headphone amp\driver is good sounding and portable. The schematic is based on the CMoy design with some changes in passive parts values. I elected to run it on two 9V batteries for better battery life and greater dynamics.

There is only 4" total of hookup wire in the signal path and all component-2-component connections on the proto cct. brd. Low ESR 200uf caps and a resistive network provide the differential voltages required to operate the chip without an output cap. The brd. is silver soldered with Mil.spec machined chip socket and Russian PIO caps on the input. Power only comes on when both phone jacks have plugs in them and the power switch (at the back) is on.The enclosure is impact resistant and lined with heavy Al foil for shielding and enclosure resonance control. The sound is clean and bright with good volume and dynamics. The amp is dead quiet with no signal.

Attachments

• ChipHPamp.jpg
    ChipHPamp.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 1,435
  • ChipHPampInsideII.jpg
    ChipHPampInsideII.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 1,427
Thank you Harrison, and may you have a very prosperous new year also. I thoroughly enjoyed your threads and it may be time for yet another.:)

Thank you too. You have tucked away the low noise parts towards the back of the chassis. The high current parts are towards the front of the chassis together with the toroidal transformer which is radiating on the power section, you have been busy. Maybe we discuss your power supply in power supply section :)

Hi Captain archer, where on earth did you find those semi-conductors. I remember my dad buying me a Philips Electronic Engineering Kit for my eight birthday that contained those transistors, as well as a glass cased OC71. The transistors are half a century old....

He Nico,

Well it was a combination of nice finds on yard sale's and a gold mine of new unused AC187's on a web shop called VOTI. So the pnp transistors are salvaged from other equipment while all the npn and power transistors where brand new.

But this again this is a very simplistic amplifier of a totally different level compared to what you're working on. Well done by the way:cool:

BTW do i recognize KEF speakers in your setup? (the logo on the large standing one's sure look like it)
I my self use KEF chorale as my main Speakers and i must say i am definitely a KEF man:p

Grtz, Pim