Post your Solid State pics here

I am not a big fan of solid state phono pre-amps but when my beloved Daniel I (designed by Joe Curcio) ceased to function properly, I was looking for a quick and simple replacement. I found on ebay a phono board that looked suspiciously like the Hagerman ‘Bugle’ using 3 OPA2134 IC op-amps. The same vendor also sold a “low noise” voltage regulator which I also bought. I used an Antek 50 VA (AN-0518) torroidal transformer. Inexpensive and simple.

How does it sound? It does not have the silkiness of the Daniel but I would characterize it as competent. It may be me, but I find solid state phono sections sound more alike than different. I compared it directly to a Linn LK-1 that I have as a back up preamp through a common linestage preamp but to me the sound of each was indistinguishable. The Linn LK-1 while a fine sounding preamp has the worst ergonomics and I use it sparingly for that reason. So in a back handed way, this phono section sounds OK. It seems to be dead quiet, with volume up and ear next to speaker, I don’t hear anything.

The other caveat is that I am using a budget cartridge, the Shure M97e, and some of the higher end cartridges out would probably reveal shortcomings in this phono section that the Shure cannot. Bottom line for me, is this phono section will get me through the night until my beloved Daniel is repaired.
Richard
I have the same power supply and RIAA board for MM and I found it better than my Cambrige 640P.
The reg allthough quite basic is very quiet
Alan

ML-2 clone and FetZilla in one big package!

Here's some work on my dual purpose chassis...

Since the chassis was so big for this Class A amplifier, I decided to put in the FetZilla as well. The amplifiers won't be working simultaneously since the heat generated would exceed the heatsink C/W.

The amps are the legendary ML-2 and the very well regarded FetZilla. I have separate power supplies for each and each transfos will have four secondaries so I don't share power and keep it as a dual mono configuration.

The ML-2 has a CRC PSU with 93000uF per rail on each amp PSU. Also, the low tension section is powered by the AMB Sigma22 since it is an extremely quiet PSU. I'm also planning to mod the PSU into CLCRC. The ML-2 is biased at 1 amp so it generates lots of heat...!

Here's some pics of the WIP

WP_000333.jpg

WP_000334.jpg

This is my FPE back panel
Capture.PNG

I'll have more pics when I receive the backpanel and all connectors!

I plan on using two Lundahl LL1545A transfos to allow balanced input on the ML-2 line in.

Do

Last edited:
This is an update of my current build - as opposed to my post #2541.
Building the case takes a much longer time than soldering Mihai Rauta's FC-100 amplifier PCBs!

Best regards - Rudi_Ratlos

P.S. I am currently thinking about how to add a "second floor" in this case to house the digital PCBs, like PGA2311-attenuator,
source selection, sensors, DAC, ...

Attachments

• FC-100.jpg
    FC-100.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 1,125
  • FC-101.jpg
    FC-101.jpg
    423.4 KB · Views: 995
Last edited:
Building the case takes a much longer time than soldering Mihai Rauta's FC-100 amplifier PCBs!

P.S. I am currently thinking about how to add a "second floor" in this case to house the digital PCBs, like PGA2311-attenuator,

I notice your IEC filter :cool:.

Which amp is that Rudi ..?