Post your Solid State pics here

jwb said:
I'm getting pretty close to a working project on this preamp. Here's the board under the command of the mighty Atmel STK-500. The software can now change the input, change the coupling, and adjust the volume via my fancy rotary encoder. I still need to write more software to accept remote control commands and to drive the display and scan the front panel buttons.

Just awesome! :worship:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This class A power amplifier with zero negative feedback and 5W output audio power was built based on the schematic of DIY CLASS A 2SK1058 MOS-FET AMPLIFIER project by Mark Houston.

The amplifier uses a custom handmade choke coil.
The power supply uses 4 x 15000 µF Towa capacitors designed for Adcom.
Two large heatsinks and one 88mm fan provide enough cooling to keep the temperature below 60œC.
The amplifier is used with custom made sensitive acoustics.
The sound is very precise and detailed. It has deep sound staging and amazing microdynamics.

For more pictures please visit http://alexkap.com/

Alex.

looks great. I really like the case and your wire layout looks quite clean. I actually have a one of these in the works. I'm still finalizing the PS but here's a sneak preview.

Roger

Attachments

• img_0029 (custom).jpg
    img_0029 (custom).jpg
    79 KB · Views: 2,037
Wavebourn said:
Here is my new microphone array matrix breadboard.
Super quiet PS, gyrator-loaded electret capsules, discrete JFET preamps, optical compressor-limiter with multi-color display, low distortion dual opamp matrix, transformer balanced outputs. Most probably I will give it away through Elektor magazine.

Stay tuned! ;)

That probably deserves its own thread... :D

Steve Eddy said:
What does "gyrator loaded" mean?

se

That mean loaded on an electronic thingy that mimics a choke. It keeps stable voltage on the capsule, but on AC it's dynamic resistance is big that guarantees maximum of voltage swing per sound pressure, also less distortions and noises, and low frequency roll off implements also a pop-filter in the same single bottle.

Similar to this one, but assume Panasonic electret capsule instead of a vacuum triode:

CS-Load-Servo-Wavebourn.gif

dudaindc said:

That probably deserves its own thread... :D

A bit later. The next weekends I'm going to test it in the field, on festival of Russian bards in Loch Lomond. Can you imagine a single Electro Voice 664 on the stage? :D
5 Panasonic capsules inside are invisible, it will be a surprise. ;)

Last 2 years I put pair of condenser mics with M47 capsules, but had to draw a white line on the stage 3 feet away, anyway some of them tried to approach one of mics almost licking it. This time I am not going to draw the line, I will instruct that when blue light blinks you are Ok; when green light blinks you are a bit too close; when yellow blinks you are already well compressed, but when you see red light you've got a ticket. :D

Testing it now, on the picture. All LEDs are bright that means heavy compression, but the sound is still CLEAN! I AM YELLING IN MICROPHONE ARRAY! YAHOOO!!! No clipping at all, but sensitivity is great on 3 feet distance! :devilr: :devilr: :devilr:
What is interesting, a stereobase is wider than in reality. Sensitivity of rear capsules need to be adjusted.

http://wavebourn.com/forum/download.php?id=134&f=7

Wavebourn said:
That mean loaded on an electronic thingy that mimics a choke. It keeps stable voltage on the capsule, but on AC it's dynamic resistance is big that guarantees maximum of voltage swing per sound pressure, also less distortions and noises, and low frequency roll off implements also a pop-filter in the same single bottle.

Gotcha.

Thanks!

se