Post your Solid State pics here

Here’s what I’m working on right now… an Aspen Lifeforce 100 safely embedded in Kashmir Gold Granite. It’s part of a set, the CD player was posted in “introductions”.

Attachments

• amp overview compressed.jpg
    amp overview compressed.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 2,180
Here’s what they look like together. Obviously the front and cover are not done. The face plate will be fine grain polished wood, the cover will be perforated steel.

They've been playing for a while now and the combination is absolutely stunning! The set, as it is now, weights a total of 50 Kilos.

Final note: after having some success with an aluminum sub frame for the Amp I've decided to do the same with the CD Player. You may note that the button layout is different on both pieces, this will be corrected once the CD player has its own aluminum subframe.

Attachments

• amp and cd front compressed 2.jpg
    amp and cd front compressed 2.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 2,092
Here is my last power amp prototype (Pyramid-VII): http://wavebourn.com/forum/download.php?id=123&f=7
It is optimized to drive ribbon speakers (short, tight, fast feedback loops across output tubes). To drive them 6P15P power penthodes are used.
Filament, bias, screen grid, preamp B+ voltages are regulated by MOSFETs. Proprietary optical compressors prevent sudden clipping on practically any input level, they are tuned to limit output power on 80W / channel (160W total).
RCA ins, banana outs for 4 and 8 Ohms, TS outs for 16 Ohm.

Attachments

• pyramid-vii-front.jpg
    pyramid-vii-front.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 1,917
lineup said:
Beautiful! Wavebourn
... as beautiful as often tubes are
No problem that you posted here, where more people browse.
And can get some of your 'eye candy'.
Of course it sounds well, I can imagine?

Thanks! It sounds very real! Thanks to sand used in it, particularly!

Here is an example of usage of the sand:

Attachments

• pyramid-fps.gif
    pyramid-fps.gif
    16.7 KB · Views: 1,816
Yeah.
you have one hybrid amplifier there.
Where transistors clean up the currents, the supply for the tubes / valves.
(I do not like to use 'sand' because only those that downclass our dear good old transistors
usually write that ugly word.)

In fact Silicon we can find in the GLASS of the tubes as well..
Si, silikon, kisel, is one of the components when making ceramics + window glass.

Anyhow, you have that lovely, very beautiful red color, Wavebourn.
Did you paint?
Or was it red color already when you got it?

I see.
Well, good work Wavebourn.
I wish I had my own garage or at least did not have only 1 room for sleeping + pc surfing + anything else, like hobby work.
4x5 m that's all my space in time. The kitchen I reserve for my foodwork.
Not like Nelson Pass 'kitchen-table project', which is www.FirstWatt.com
I bet he does not even do the foodwork in his kitchen.
More likely he gets served by his old wife most of the times
;)

Yeah, that is a good use, you think, of sand.
Just to keep out the air from the electrones, working inside a good semiconductor = tube.
And on this I am in minority .. even if Wavebourn uses the Best of Both worlds.

A really Open Mind does NOT rule out this or that. He only takes what he thinks is best for the situation. Regardless!
:)

FastEddy said:
Common you guys ... none of this my technology is better than yours. The end result and the eye of the beholder is what counts.

Besides, it is sand that keeps the air out of the tubes ... ;)

If you remember my Pyramid-V easily driving speakers with complex crossovers during Burning Amp, this one is even easier with Magneplans and similar speakers. This one uses power pentodes to drive output toobs surrounded by local parallel feedback by voltage each. As the result, lower and more linear output resistance.

WB: I remember seeing it, but sorry, not to have heard it. All your stuff is neat, well thought out and the other models I've heard sound top of the world ... My bad ... :bawling:

Speaking of hybrids, wondering if you know of a nice tube pre-amp with balanced I/O for use on the stage or as a driver for higher power MOSFET class AB ... ?

I'm striving for that old fashioned big band, Billy Holiday sound with enough headroom for digital D to A playback = like maybe 100+ db signal to noise, yet mellowed by tubes ... (Hopefully in a kit with little or no micro-soldering as my eyes can't do dat no more.)

FastEddy said:
WB: I remember seeing it, but sorry, not to have heard it. All your stuff is neat, well thought out and the other models I've heard sound top of the world ... My bad ... :bawling:

Speaking of hybrids, wondering if you know of a nice tube pre-amp with balanced I/O for use on the stage or as a driver for higher power MOSFET class AB ... ?

I'm striving for that old fashioned big band, Billy Holiday sound with enough headroom for digital D to A playback = like maybe 100+ db signal to noise, yet mellowed by tubes ... (Hopefully in a kit with little or no micro-soldering as my eyes can't do dat no more.)

I'm afraid adding anything except soft peak compressor you can't make the sound softer.
I hope have 400W monoblocks in July, for Russian festival on campground. We can try my hybrids on your stage as well. My current problem is woofers: I can't figure out something transportable capable to work from 40 Hz flat, to match my line arrays.