Post your Solid State pics here

The simplest way to test this proposition is to read the temp at the base of the heatsing with an IR thermometer, and at the top.

I will try it tonight on my sx-amp after its been on for an hour and report back later.

The only problem there is an IR thermometer won't give you a proper reading on a shiny surface. It'll be okay if your heatsink is dyed black.

black body radiation does not mean it has to be non shiny black

The errors in reading black body radiation as one moves away from non shiny black increase quite slowly at first and then become nonsensical as shiny aluminium is approached.
That why these emergency blankets use shiny aluminium as insulators.

If you are using a non ideal radiator and measure the temperature at the bottom and at the top, the error from non shiny black will be similar for the two locations on the same heatsink.

My stupid part is I can't understand what the english is telling me.

I think he's trying to say there is individual convection cycles at each hot spot. Whatever the case air is moving so heat is being dissipated so life is good. If it doesn't move as much at cool spots it helps to even the temperature anyway. All this really isn't that important for listening to music. It might come into play if you are playing sine waves all day but to me that's not the reason I'm building an amp.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
It's a basic comparative measurement, so absolute numbers may be out, but if there is a differential we should be able to detect it.

Here are the resuls

sx-amplifier powered up for 1 hour

Ambient temperature 20 C

Temperature at bottom of heatsink between fins 45.6 C

Temperature at top of heatsink between fins 51.0 C

It's a basic comparative measurement, so absolute numbers may be out, but if there is a differential we should be able to detect it.

Here are the resuls

sx-amplifier powered up for 1 hour

Ambient temperature 20 C

Temperature at bottom of heatsink between fins 45.6 C

Temperature at top of heatsink between fins 51.0 C
Temperature directly on the transistors body?

It does matter.
The top row of devices will run much hotter than the bottom row devices.
10degrees will make a big difference to temperature de-rated SOAR, if you are running at Tc=70°C that becomes 80 for the upper row.

If it were Tc=50°C that became 55, then there is not much difference.

Agree with Andrew on that

Small details like that make huge difference in long run and provide the reference between good and perfect designs

APEX A23

CFA amplifier made by 44250

Attachments

• DSC_0013.JPG
    DSC_0013.JPG
    453 KB · Views: 1,432