Post your Solid State pics here

AX14P

Attachments

• P17-07-13_18.50[01].jpg
    P17-07-13_18.50[01].jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 1,815
a real amateur built when was a teen ...
based on the ETI-470 project published in ETI (Electronics Today International) magazine, many years ago.

Attachments

• 01.topview.jpg
    01.topview.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 1,390
  • 02.right-channel.jpg
    02.right-channel.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 1,295
  • 03.left-channel.jpg
    03.left-channel.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 399
  • 04.heatsinks_original.jpg
    04.heatsinks_original.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 383
Pyleck, are you sure you have enough capacitance in the PSU? :clown:
I really don't know ! If memory serves me good, the original article published (in 1979) with a xfo. 28-0-28 volt, 2A (for 60W) & 5000uF/50V filter capacitors, however suggested that large values around 20,000 to 50,000uF would make an audible different.

The amp was built with 25-0-25 volt, 2A xfo + 4 x Sprague 21,000uF/50V. After all those years, the ESR's capacitors measurements (0.32 left bank & 0.45 right bank) still acceptable. When sitting idle, there is slightly humming noise thought.

*(re-testing it with good'o Spendor BC1 speakers - without speaker protectors, your guys can call me crazy.)

You remember this too right ?
high quality built (ESR still around .20 for each of them), my last two from that era.
Yes, or similar. Good old Sprague! I had a couple similar caps on the shelf for a long time, flipped the box over whenever I remembered (chuckle). They last almost forever, but the rated capacitance does go down a bit... ;)

I'd be embarrassed to post pics of what I built as a teen - recycled an old aluminum stove-top coffee maker w. flat sides for a heatsink once... my father kept asking when the coffee would finally be ready (chuckle).

Shaan, I like those vintage heatsinks from Compaq Pentium socket 370... haha :D

Hi smartx. Thanks. I got these from local old/used parts market for... 1$. :yikes:

Shaan... 6.3v Capacitors.. On what voltage this amp operates..

Hi rakesh bhai. :wave:

This amp is called VSSA, the shown boards are called PeeCeeBee. Symmetrical Class-AB amplifiers. Run from +/-30VDC. The 6.3V caps are placed in the feedback path. There is less than 2V around them, so 6.3V is okay, I am trying to find some 3.3V rated caps now. :)

Another set of boards built from Shaan's version of VSSA, one of several from the PeeCeeBee thread.

Shaan is typically modest about his accomplishments (chuckle). His PeeCeeBee thread includes three or four different versions of a through-hole VSSA which can be built from parts easily available almost anywhere, with lots of examples, test results, alternate component selections, and directions.

I built two slightly different versions from the schematic posted at the start, and listen to one of them almost daily... The second one has become part of my test setup, most recently used to try out the power supply in the pic on the right, a version of MrEvil's "Improved Capacitance Multiplier".

@Shaan: :up:

Attachments

• PSU4_VSSA.jpg
    PSU4_VSSA.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 578
  • VSSA1Bassy7.jpg
    VSSA1Bassy7.jpg
    344 KB · Views: 488
  • PSU4_build5.jpg
    PSU4_build5.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 453