Post your Solid State pics here

take a few of those fine 2SA1095 / 2SC2565 ringemitters

Trouble with those nice A1095/C2565 is that they're obsolete since 1988, aka for the last 25 years.
Trouble with that is that in 9 of 10 cases, the fine ringemitters on offer today are fakes.
In your case, a faked power device package with a decent size die inside, but unlikely to be in the 60/80MHz fT range.

By the time someone else would be ready with your amp, he would likely have spent more than a secondhand set of Linear Acoustic LA60's cost (which include a pair of nice original ringemitters per monaural)
And judging by a glance at both your amp case and PCB, money better spent.

Last edited:
VSSA/PeeCeeBee Chassis

My new "compact" chassis, intended for my version of Lazy Cat's VSSA, and Shaan's PeeCeeBee.

Still a work in progress, so, suggestions and comments are welcome. Heatsinks from Heatsink USA, an advertiser on diyaudio.

All other parts made from flat pieces of aluminum, SS top and bottom, except for the heatsinks, basically made from parts from the scrap barrel... :D

I am also hoping to make a bit larger version for Bonsai's nx-amp.

@sakis, if you are reading this, the heatsinks are rated at about 0.65C/watt, and can be thermally coupled to the front and back plates, intended for 8-ohm speakers and a temp rise of about 25C above room temperatures.

Attachments

• VSSA Chassis 0.jpg
    VSSA Chassis 0.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 1,551
  • PeeCeeBeeTest.jpg
    PeeCeeBeeTest.jpg
    373.9 KB · Views: 788
  • PeeCeeBee Heatsink.jpg
    PeeCeeBee Heatsink.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 649
  • VSSA Chassis 5.jpg
    VSSA Chassis 5.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 1,365
  • VSSA Chassis 6.jpg
    VSSA Chassis 6.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 1,396
  • VSSA Chassis 2.jpg
    VSSA Chassis 2.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 1,452
  • VSSA Chassis 1.jpg
    VSSA Chassis 1.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 1,501
fakes?

@ Jacco Vermeulen:

"In your case, a faked power device package with a decent size die inside, but unlikely to be in the 60/80MHz fT range."

So you think these are fakes? For 100% sure: these are the real ones. Not from China, and not from eBay. If you look hard, you'll find them. You are right however in saying 9 out of 10 are fakes. Unfortunately, I have 40 each of them also, but, the best is: I have around 70 pairs of the ORIGINAL ones :)
(by the way: I torture-tested a pair of these fakes: 2X 60V stable rail voltage on a single pair, and a 4 Ohm loudspeaker, driven to clipping level: they SURVIVED. Good fakes this time... amplifier effortlessly did 100kHz).

source for original 2SA1095 / 2SC2565

Hello Jacco,

here, you will get the original ones:

GES GmbH - www.Electronicpool.de - obsolete or hard-to-find electronic components

They have the 2SC2565 as well... on -O and -Y!
I asked for pictures from the 2SA1095-Y, I got them, and... they are for sure original! I recognize them from ten miles away now :)
Price is quite stiff: you'll have to pay around EUR 20,- per piece.

Timmo.

Last edited:
SARA high performance audio amplifier

...... my new project SARA high performance audio amplifier ,schematic designed by Lixandru Dorin and PCB designed by me ......:)
Regards ,
Alex

Attachments

• IMG_5662.JPG
    IMG_5662.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 766
  • IMG_5663.JPG
    IMG_5663.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 468
  • IMG_5666.JPG
    IMG_5666.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_5668.JPG
    IMG_5668.JPG
    154.2 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_5670.JPG
    IMG_5670.JPG
    153.6 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_5673.JPG
    IMG_5673.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 382
  • IMG_5675.JPG
    IMG_5675.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 414
  • IMG_5678.JPG
    IMG_5678.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 423
  • IMG_5680.JPG
    IMG_5680.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 489
@pinnocchio: Bonsai has a thread where he is encouraging the rest of us to build boards from his schematics and layouts. Everything is there, basically. I posted there a couple times. Not a very active thread right now, not sure why.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/236522-sx-amp-nx-amp.html

I plan to order boards from the layouts he has provided to us (very generously I might add), sometime this week. You or anyone else is welcome to help, or comment.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi Bonsai,

When will your HiFisonix.com webshop be in working order so we can place orders?

Thanks
Do

Pinocchio,

I will take that page down. I am traveling too much on business these days to be able to offer a good service.

I will put the sx- Amp boards up soon as well. Please feel free to build. Any questions from your side, I will try to answer.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
New Preamp in the works

Here are some pictures of a new preamp I am working on. These are the boards, and let me stress, they are protos, so there is probably going to be changes etc based on what I find. Basically, 6 inputs all with jumper selectable 20 dB pads, a phono input which can be selected for either MM or MC (board still to be designed - this will be a follow-on sub project) and a single tape loop (buffered class A). It has switchable Baxandall tone controls (+-12dB at 100 Hz and 10 kHz) and a class A headphone amp running at about 200mA Iq. All the inputs selection, muting etc are handled by small sealed gold contact Omron relays. All the gain stages are on separate little boards using opamps biased into class A and can drive c. 500 Ohm load in class A to 20V pk to pk. The feedback network source impedance is around 150 Ohms for low noise on all the gain blocks. I am temporarily using a 5k Alps log pot. The final iteration will use a 24 way switched 1k log pot - I have sourced one but its about $240. Pleasure and pain go together they say and this is the proof!

I have targeted something around -110 dB for S/N which I think is good enough, and I put lots of effort into lower distortion which will be very low in this design - sub 1ppm across the audio band at 3V pk into 600 Ohms and less than about 3ppm at 10 V pk into 600 Ohms. I have put the gain elelemtns on small boards because I also have a discrete JFET gain block on the drawing board so that later if I want to, I can use those instead of the opamp based gain blocks. The intial version uses 4562/49710 opamps, but because they are socketed, I can just plug in another opamp to try it out. There space on the gain block boards for comp caps from pins 1-5 or 5-8 to accomodate the various opamp formats out there for the single devices - duals of course dont have this option.

This design uses classic signal chain design - so no active volume control or anything like that and there is no microprocessor in this design - it is 100% analog.

Anyway, still a long way tp go, but I'll keep posting very few weeks.

:cool:

Attachments

• IMGP9637.JPG
    IMGP9637.JPG
    473.9 KB · Views: 1,337
  • IMGP9640.JPG
    IMGP9640.JPG
    416.5 KB · Views: 1,273
  • IMGP9639.JPG
    IMGP9639.JPG
    575.6 KB · Views: 1,198
  • IMGP9642.JPG
    IMGP9642.JPG
    333.6 KB · Views: 1,122
Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
The trick is to bias a good opamp (and you have to be using something good like a 49710/4562 - otherwise it just won't get you to 1ppm or better) into class A, and then buffer them with a class A output stage. Class A also confers advantages in supply rail harmonic content which helps with the overall performance. I also spent many hours on the layout because there's all sorts of opportunities for common impedance coupling that would undo efforts elswhere. My straight buffer (I wrote about this in 2010) got to 1.5ppm and really may have been lower but the AP SYS272 can get to -114dB (I read in some places -119 dB) and not much lower. I dont expect the discrete version I am working on to reach these levels, but from initial investigations, 2ppm seems acheivable. Anyway, I dont want to hog the thread - this is about pics!

The final iteration will use a 24 way switched 1k log pot - I have sourced one but its about $240. Pleasure and pain go together they say and this is the proof!
That is! Bravo Bonsai! Potentiometers (see voltage dividers) from 1.5K and above "infect" the linearity of the following stage.
The intial version uses 4562/49710 opamps, but because they are socketed, I can just plug in another opamp to try it out. There space on the gain block boards for comp caps from pins 1-5 or 5-8 to accomodate the various opamp formats out there for the single devices - duals of course dont have this option.
Have you possibility to try these new LME49990? I ask you because are offered only in SOIC package. I am amazed from their performance!

Congratulations Andrew for your new work! I am sure that you will obtain your target of a so high performance!

That is! Bravo Bonsai! Potentiometers (see voltage dividers) from 1.5K and above "infect" the linearity of the following stage.

Have you possibility to try these new LME49990? I ask you because are offered only in SOIC package. I am amazed from their performance!

Congratulations Andrew for your new work! I am sure that you will obtain your target of a so high performance!

On my side I find that OPA 1611/12 or the Jfet version 1641/42 to be killer opamps.

Do