Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th January 2003, 12:17 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question So where is the audiophile direction in diy?

Pardon a newbie asking broad questions, but I really couldn't find my answer with searches.

What solid state diy designs are suitable for audiophiles? What I'm getting at is that single chip designs like the LM3886 don't seem to designed for audiophiles, judging by the THD specs. Not that there's anything wrong with that, and not that I wouldn't build one...

I'm very handy with electronics, not scared of high component counts and discrete components, and would only be interested in audiophile designs, building better than what I've bought. So where should I be looking on this forum?
Old 8th January 2003, 12:25 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
THD specs usually are telling how the particular unit sounds. If you are into SS designs, you can't go wrong with Pass designes.
Here's the link: http://www.passdiy.com/default.htm

The Aleph's manuals are here: http://www.passlabs.com/aleph.htm
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 8th January 2003, 01:39 AM   #3
Account Disabled

In connection to the Pass articles and Aleph service manuals that Peter Daniel has referred to, I would like to recommend two threads here:
  • x soz
  • The Aleph-X

JH
Old 8th January 2003, 02:25 AM   #4
Philo is offline Philo  United States
diyAudio Member

IMHO, THD is not typically a determining factor of "audiophile" equipment. Transparency, coloration(or lack of), stage, and linearity are more defining qualities. SS designs aside, there are many tube designs that have levels of THD that are scoffed at by SS fans, then tube fans in turn announce listenability is the real factor that qualifies equipment as "audiophile". And on and on the battle rages. My point is if this battle can be so heated, how can THD be a disqualifier?
Old 8th January 2003, 05:45 AM   #5
Nielsio is offline Nielsio  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

It's quite easy: for you try, then you trust.
Old 8th January 2003, 07:49 AM   #6
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Default Re: So where is the audiophile direction in diy?

Quote:
Originally posted by leadbelly
Pardon a newbie asking broad questions, but I really couldn't find my answer with searches.
What solid state diy designs are suitable for audiophiles?
"Audiophileness" is more like a matter of taste I think, rather than performance.

I think very few people regard my stuff as "audiophilic" just because it doesn't meet certain standards in the "audiophile" business, no Black Gate caps, no tubes, no tantal resistors, no weird cables, no single end, no oscure semiconductors etc.
Old 8th January 2003, 10:31 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: So where is the audiophile direction in diy?

Quote:
Originally posted by peranders

[snip]I think very few people regard my stuff as "audiophilic" just because it doesn't meet certain standards in the "audiophile" business, no Black Gate caps, no tubes, no tantal resistors, no weird cables, no single end, no oscure semiconductors etc.
Per,

Since your purpose is to get the best possible sound, I for one regard your designs as quite audiophilic.

Jan Didden
Old 8th January 2003, 01:06 PM   #8
Jeff R is offline Jeff R  United States
diyAudio Member

The Leach Amp, designed by W. Marshall Leach at the Georgia Institute of Technology is an"audiophile" amplifier, IMHO. Go to http://users.ece.gatech.edu/~mleach/lowtim/ for information. Like the Pass designs, there is a lot of support available, and the PWBs are available directly from Dr. Leach for a modest fee, and the design is almost bulletproof. I think there are things that can be done to improve the design, and many of those have been recently discussed here.

The Leach Amp is one of the more complicated designs you will find and it gets favorable reviews. Several of the Pass designs are a current rage here, being Class A, simpler and lower in power, but possibly superior in sound. Your choice might depend upon the efficiency of your speakers and which design you think is "the coolest".

Have fun deciding what to do. Just because there has been a lot of talk here of chip designs - and they have their place, no question about that - hardly means we don't get into the deep mysteries of amplifier design. Witness the recent thread on servo amplifier design! Also, look around and you will find discussion on which types of capacitors and resistors are "best". There may be no clear answers, but it is fun to think about and consider what choices you will make, as many people feel that those choices will impact the sound as much as will your choice of amplifier topology.
Old 8th January 2003, 01:22 PM   #9
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: So where is the audiophile direction in diy?

Quote:
Originally posted by janneman
Since your purpose is to get the best possible sound, I for one regard your designs as quite audiophilic.
I think also that many people here (and elsewhere) sometimes exaggerate their impressions of different designs. NE5534 really sucks and OPAxyz makes your life worth living etc.

I can hear small small differencies between my stone age DENON DCD-1500 (1985) and my DCD-1520 (1989?) and DAC with CS4328 chip. Small differencies between all but I won't puke when I listen to DCD-1500 with real LC filters but I get a little happier when listen to my DAC.

I can say without blushing that NE5534 is really good but as an electronic designer I think it's cooler to have more precision in everything. 1% resistors are more fun than 5% carbon. 2.5% polypropulene caps or funnier than 10% polyester etc.

Since we talk DIY we have different motives. Some people like doing something others want a good thing beyond their budget (if they had bought the stuff).

The main thing is to have fun.
Old 8th January 2003, 01:28 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Default Re: Re: So where is the audiophile direction in diy?

Quote:
Originally posted by peranders

"Audiophileness" is more like a matter of taste I think, rather than performance.

I think very few people regard my stuff as "audiophilic" just because it doesn't meet certain standards in the "audiophile" business, no Black Gate caps, no tubes, no tantal resistors, no weird cables, no single end, no oscure semiconductors etc.
And I would ad: too many parts.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC

Hide this!Advertise here!