Equalizer or PreAmp for NAD 3120?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have an NAD Sterea Amplifier 3120 that I bought at a vintage stereo store. I have it hooked up to a pair of early 70's Advent speakers, and it generally produces a very warm sound. However, I don't get the kind of depth in sound that I'd really like to have. I just changed the speaker cord to 12 gauge Dax cord, but I'm still not sure if it sounds any deeper, just more powerful throughout the volume range.

My question is what kind of PreAmp or EQ coul I use to provide depth for my system? I'd like to have control of the various frequencies, and to hear more dynamics. I had a Nikko EQ, but it died.

Any suggestions or sage advice would be welcome.

Hi,
Do you mean that there is a lack of bass when you say you need more warmth and depth?
Might help to look at the large smoothing caps in the NAD. I expect they're quite old by now.
Maybe you could even increase the values slightly (within reason).

I have needed an EQ to increase the bass recently and have built a simple opamp filter based loosely on a baffle step compensation circuit simulated with "The Edge". Free software by fellow member Svante.
http://www.tolvan.com/edge/

The music just bounces along nicely now but I still need to look at my power supply caps (similar age to your NAD).

Regards,
Martin.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.