Source For Toroid Tansformers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What is a good source, preferably online, for toroid transformers? Specifically looking for 80VAC with center tap. I tried to purchase one from Victoria Magnetics but after over two months have not received the transformer.

I have looked at Plitron out of Canada but decided to get feedback here.

I realize this question has probably been asked before but if we could form some sort of thread updating what consensus is it could be searched by the subject line.

Thanks for your input folks.

I believe I heard somewhere that Victoria Magnetics is a one man operation. Sometimes he gets snowed under. Many people have gotten transformers from him and been quite happy.
Plitron makes good transformers. They're much more massive than some of their competitors--keep that in mind when comparing otherwise equivalent items. I have done business with them and have always been satisfied with their product. Note that anyone in the US will have customs added on top of the purchase price.
Avel-Lindberg makes somewhat less robust transformers, but they're still quite good. The last time I looked at their price list they were, pound-for-pound and amp-for-amp, more expensive.
I have not used Toroid products, but have known people who did and were satisfied.
The company Tortran recently appeared on my radar. I hope to have more to say about them in the near future. Amveco/Ulveco is a possibility. I had another in mind, but it slipped away.
Don't neglect the surplus market. Things pop up from time to time. Oddly, I found some 2kVA power transformers that were made in a little town in North Carolina about fifteen miles from where I was born. They were OEM product for a Well Known Brand of hifi equipment. By the time I bought the transformers, the company was already defunct. They were gone before I ever knew they existed. Companies pop up for a year or two, then vanish. It doesn't mean that the transformers won't work. Just pick them up cheap when you have the chance.

Grey

Thanks. I decided to try an Antek off ebay. For the VA rating it is the best price, we'll see. I guess Snowden is snowed in, I hope to get that transformer someday! He is a great guy to talk with. Were snowed in here too, looking forward to spring!

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
A couple more sources to round out the topic.

Hammond make good transformers and are available through many dealers. Notably PartsConnexion.com, though I expect you will find others selling Hammond online if you search. (Maybe Digikey.)

Also Velleman (the electronics kit maker) offer toroidal power transformers. I got a couple for my chipamp project through QKITS.com in Ontario last year. They are pretty good.

Oh, and Steve at ApexJr.com usually has a random selection of surplus toroids in stock. Worth checking!

..Todd

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.