What's the highest power amp you've built? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th January 2007, 06:15 AM   #11
Danko is offline Danko  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Have you tried discharging that capacitor bank with a screwdriver? :-D
Old 30th January 2007, 12:00 PM   #12
AMV8 is offline AMV8  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi

The biggest I have built;

In class A, 60watt, 75watt and 100watt class A monoblocks.

In class A/AB I have made classA to 40watt/class AB to 200watt amplifier.

For me the power is limited by the physical size and weight ( around 80lbs )

I do have some electrocompaniet Electro 25's and Kelvin labs 30 watt class A amps that I use occasionally. I have upgraded both and given them regulated power supplies on the front end and more final stage power reserve. They are great on voice and provide tremendous detail. However I still prefer to listen to a around 100watt class A or A/AB amp. It just seems to give a more balanced sound to me.

Don
Old 9th March 2009, 02:04 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

5000 watts RMS output but with transmitting triodes. That kind of high power with tubes is relatively easy and you can do it with a single tube. I respect that to make that much power with silicon is WAY harder to achieve.
Old 9th March 2009, 02:54 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
Originally posted by esorcc What's the highest power amp you've built?
Half a fathom.
Old 9th March 2009, 03:18 PM   #15
wg_ski is offline wg_ski  United States
diyAudio Member

1500W/2R - front end resembles a Lynx but phase splitter is common emitter (similar to Carver and early Crown and PV), outputs resemble the S-Leach - class AB (monoblocks) and class G (stereo). I've used these for years.

900W/2R (x4) - finished and working class H prototype - similar circuit to above, but with upper slave banks replaced with the QSC rail switch.

2000W/2R (x2) - target for new amp in progress. 3-tier version of the above prototype with extra outputs, much better PCB, and full supply supervisor, thermal protection, and front end processing. Building four identical units simulatneously.

Highest power class A - Nelson Pass' old 1977 design with 2N6259 outputs (8 per bank) running off a Signal 80-25. 125W or so monoblock. Breadboard prototype only - will go back and re-build permanently one day after I build the wind turbines to alleviate the utility bills. I kept the 25W version.
Old 9th March 2009, 04:51 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

500w into 4 ohms, bridged to 1KW into 8 ohms. Elektor design using Lateral Mosfets for OPS.

I have assembled some yet untested boards which can do 1200watts into 4 ohms in Class G. They use bipolar outputs. Hope to find enough time to test these and put them into suitable cases.
Old 9th March 2009, 05:03 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nelson Pass
4 KW

I think I saw that at CES one year.

My highest so far is 1600W at 8 ohms. Yes they were for pro use.
Old 10th March 2009, 05:54 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

I used to design control systems. The last amplifier I worked on was to drive 50 HP servo motors and would put out +-400 volts at 200 amperes. We had a 10KW dummy load consisting of series-parallel connected heater strips that are used in heat pumps.
Old 10th March 2009, 07:28 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rayfutrell
I used to design control systems. The last amplifier I worked on was to drive 50 HP servo motors and would put out +-400 volts at 200 amperes. We had a 10KW dummy load consisting of series-parallel connected heater strips that are used in heat pumps.

Too bad brain dead youth aren't more financially endowed. Your company would have had a huge market for that amplifier technology to power automotive subwoofers.
Old 10th March 2009, 07:39 PM   #20
The one and only

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Dunlap
I think I saw that at CES one year.
I did dredge up a couple of photos.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf threshold uhp-1200_photo01.pdf (31.3 KB, 201 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!