NAD 2140 Problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a NAD 2140 Power Amp that started giving me strange problems.It blew a couple of it's 3.15 Amp fuses on the PCB after distorting sound started coming from the left channel only.I replaced all 4 3.15 Amp fuses and it seems fine powering up but the noticeable distortion coming from the left channel is still present.Any help or ideas would be appreciated?

Most likely it's the driver or output transistors that's blown. If you look at the schematics, the 3.14A fuses are sitting to ( try to )protect those. They will blow again if you krank it up a bit.
Oh yeah, if you don't have the schematic, then drop me a PM, then i'll send it to you.

Good luck
Ebbe

Thanks,I have that schematic already.I have replaced all fuses on the PCB and I have the amp sitting on with a multi-meter attached to the speaker output measuring the DC from time to time.It seems to have stabilised around 4mv each side which is O.K. I will have to listen again I guess.Can I just replace the left channel output transistors and hope for the best?

Well, maybe i'm a litlle too fast to call them dead. It doesn't sound too bad with that kind of dc-balance.
Maybe it's just a coincidence that the fuses blew. Maybe it could be some of the capacitors beginning to dry out ?.
It's a little bit hard to guess without further measurements. A scope and a ESR-meter would be a great help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.