Technics SU-A900mk2 puzzle

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all. Wondered if any talented persons could shed a light on this: Just got hold of my late grandfather's perfect condition, unused Technics SU-A900mk2 amp, and it doesn't make sound. Bought new about '97, and only used for a few hours ever.

The standby light comes on, then you click the power switch, the speaker selection light is on, the input selector and lights work, the remote control works the functions, but the 'OPERATION' light remains off, and no sound from the speakers. Fuse is fine, though I'm surprised there's only one. Above the Opereation light, it says 'virtual battery operation'. What does this mean, and could it be the source of the malfunction?.

It looks absolutely mint inside and out otherwise, so I don't know where to start.

Can anyone help?

Regards, Lee.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Lee,
I'm not familar with that model. I do know they suffered from many cracked solder connections. I hope that a tech who knows this amp can tell you what your error message is and what it means in a real sense.

Failing that, if you can solder well, take it apart and resolder connections near the heatsink and rear panel on the main board. Do not use too much solder. Solder flux is great here.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.