The mystery metal is? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th January 2007, 04:49 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default The mystery metal is?

Intel has just announced a new method of making chips using Hafnium as an insulator and a " ... new material ... so sensitive that it is keeping the identity of this metal a mystery for now. ..." ( http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...NG9DNQ8TE1.DTL )

" ... legendary co-founder Gordon Moore called "the biggest change in transistor technology since ... the late 1960s. ..."

Anyone want to speculate as to the identity of the "Mystery Metal"?

My best guess is that it is Silver or an alloy of Silver much like "Sterling Silver", 92% Silver and ~8% Copper. Reasons: Silver is the best room temperature conductor. A few years ago IBM made waves by changing from Aluminum to Copper for IC pathways between chip elements and the next logical step is changing from Copper to Silver.

What's your best guess?

Old 27th January 2007, 04:52 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Unobtainium
Old 27th January 2007, 06:40 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by XEAGLEKEEPER
Unobtainium
'Oakley, Inc. has trademarked the word Unobtanium [sic] to refer to a rubber compound used on the frames of their sunglasses. This compound is designed to grip the nose and temples when it becomes wet with perspiration.'

Mr Keeper,
Obviously your sugestion is meant to throw us of the scent. Who do you work for? Obviously the mystery metal has nothing to do with sweat otherwise it would be called Swetal.
Aha, we are not as foolish as you think!

Cheers,
Martin.
Old 27th January 2007, 07:13 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Sonusthree & XEagleKeeper: Likewise, I'm sure ...

I guess this subject, the Mystery Metal ID, is too esoteric. I had hoped to get some feedback and alternate guesses about this. It may pertain to DIY design consideration, eventually ...

Humorous: The defination at WiKiPedia for the insulating element Intel plans on using, Hafnium, has a bit ... " Hafnium (IPA: /?h¾fni?m/) is a chemical element in the periodic table that has the symbol Hf and atomic number 72. I like cheese! ..." ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hafnium )

I guess there is no keeping these scientists down on the farm, after the've seen puree ...

[Wayoff this topic / or not: The publicity notice in the SF Comical in the original post above has a date of 1/27, today. The editing of the Hafnium article at WikiPedia was likewise just edited today: footnote # 8 = " ^ Fulton, III, Scott M. (January 27, 2007). Intel Reinvents the Transistor. BetaNews. Retrieved on 2007-01-27. ..." with a link to: http://www.betanews.com/article/Inte...tor/1169872301 ]
Old 27th January 2007, 09:43 PM   #5
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Hafnium would make a pretty poor insulator- it's highly conductive. I suspect, as usual, that whoever wrote this story has about a third grade knowledge of science and garbled things while rewriting the press release from Intel.
Old 27th January 2007, 10:02 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

It's a hafnium alloy, composition not disclosed. IBM announced that they will be disclosing their hafnium alloy version; the papers are in the publishing queue.
Old 27th January 2007, 10:23 PM   #7
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Even the alloys would be conductive. Presumably, it's something like an oxide, a hafnium ceramic. The "mystery metal" would be chosen not for mystical audio properties but for compatibility in the CVD process and low propensity for diffusion into the ceramic when heated and polarized.
Old 27th January 2007, 10:25 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Mr Keeper,
Obviously your sugestion is meant to throw us of the scent. Who do you work for? Obviously the mystery metal has nothing to do with sweat otherwise it would be called Swetal.
Aha, we are not as foolish as you think!...LOL
How about geranium ,no thats a flower ahh maybe Eddy has it..Silver, but it will probably have the pricetag of gold.

PS suggestion is spelled with two g's
Old 27th January 2007, 10:27 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Sy: " Hafnium would make a pretty poor insulator- it's highly conductive. ..."

Apparently so: http://images.betanews.com/media/689.jpg shows the Hafnium as the gate = semi-conductor for sure, for sure.

Curmudgen: " It's a hafnium alloy, composition not disclosed. IBM announced that they will be disclosing their hafnium alloy version ..."

In the picture linked above is what I'm talkin' about. The Mystery Metal = Metal Gate pictured = element or alloy type unknown. (I'm speculating that this and the "low resistance layer" are one and the same or very similar = Silver or a Silver alloy.)

(The article at betanews.com is much better than the Comical read ... http://www.betanews.com/article/Inte...tor/1169872301 )

XEagleKeeper: " ... Silver, but it will probably have the pricetag of gold. ..."

So, ya think I should buy some Silver options?

Speculations appreciated ...
Old 27th January 2007, 11:14 PM   #10
diyAudio Moderator

Monatomic gold?
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?

Hide this!Advertise here!