Bob Cordell Interview: Negative Feedback

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Not true

Not true

Not true

I see this stuff 1st hand. Very, very frustrating. Why? Because my customers are so afraid of getting their ***** sued off, that they will not look at solutions that even smell like something in a patent, even after we have gotten independent opinion that its not violating anyone's patent.

I am afriad its true. Patents are granted for crazy things.:confused:

Hi all

Most of the discussion about TPC and TMC revolves around using these techniques to increase loop gain.

Another way of looking at it is that these techniques can be used to increase open-loop bandwidth for a given amount of loop gain.

E.g. for an amp with 30dB gain, if we want 40dB of global feedback with unity loop gain at 2MHz, we need 70dB open-loop gain and, while CMC would require a first order roll-off at 20KHz, with TPC we can use a second order roll-off at 100KHz instead. The first two pics below show the open-loop response of such an amp, and it's square wave output at 10KHz, open-loop, unfiltered.

With reasonably low open-loop distortion (say 0.1%), I would expect it to sound quite good as is, with no GNFB. With 40dB feedback, distortion drops to about 10PPM, which I think most would consider good enough. Importantly, distortion is reduced equally across the entire audio band.

In the schematic, R8 sets the low frequency gain, C1 and C2 set the unity loop gain frequency, R4 sets the 2'nd order breakpoint to about 500KHz, and R10 damps the 2'nd order roll-off at 100KHz (the same function as the extra capacitor in Bob's BTC scheme). R11 and C3 over on the left repair the damage to DC offset and PSRR caused by the compensation network.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ahem, to the eagle-eyed: Yes I only realised after doing all the sims and making all the pretty pictures that I goofed a bit with the values. As shown, the second order roll-off is from about 85 to 350KHz. To get 100 to 500 KHz, R4 should be decreased to 3K3 and R10 to 27K. It doesn't make much difference though. With the "correct" values, group delay drops to 2.5uS and the phase margin at 2MHz is about 3 or 4 degrees worse.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyway, I'm sure many would want more than 40dB of global feedback, so as a second example, let's assume 60dB is required. While CMC would require a first order roll-off at 2KHz, with TPC we can use a second order roll-off at 30KHz instead - a definite improvement. To get the extra 20dB of loop gain, R8 should be increased ten-fold, and R10 about three-fold. The forth pic below shows the resulting open-loop response.

Cheers - Godfrey

Hi Godfrey,

This is a very good point, especially for those who prefer wide open loop bandwidth. It also underscores what I have said for a long time: that wide open loop bandwidth does not preclude high amounts of feedback, where in this case amount of feedback refers to that available at 20 kHz - which is what really counts the most.

BTW, another key point that you have covered is that when one wants wide open-loop bandwidth, one usually must restrict the low-frequency open-loop gain in some way with most amplifier topologies. Many do this by resistively loading the VAS, which is a bad idea because it makes the VAS work harder. As you have done, restricting the open-loop gain at low frequencies with feedback is the way to go.

Nice results!

Cheers,
Bob

Bode's Maximal Feedback uses flat "working frequency" gain - by managing the peaking where the flat slope meets the higher order roll off he gets an "extra" octave of flat loop gain for the same unity loop gain intercept

I've shown the distortion advantage of higher audio frequency loop gain in the TIM debates, it seems worthwhile to just let the gain increase as much as the Q's allow at low frequencies - this can involve a 1st order slope when Q output C rolls off gain for a while before conductance terms flatten it out

particularly when you consider that music spectral content is often claimed to have ~ 3kHz power bandwidth it appears to me worthwhile to keep decreasing distortion by letting loop gain rise at least that far down into the audio frequency range

and I've posted the 2nd order loop gain, "flat" audio frequency gain in a simplified sim before:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/soli...erview-negative-feedback-215.html#post1434254

(sinice the sim is only exploring input tanh distortion vs loop gain I use spice tricks to just synthesize the loop gain, not a "realistic" VAS, compensation network)

Last edited:
Bode's Maximal Feedback uses flat "working frequency" gain - by managing the peaking where the flat slope meets the higher order roll off he gets an "extra" octave of flat loop gain for the same unity loop gain intercept

I've shown the distortion advantage of higher audio frequency loop gain in the TIM debates, it seems worthwhile to just let the gain increase as much as the Q's allow at low frequencies - this can involve a 1st order slope when Q output C rolls off gain for a while before conductance terms flatten it out

particularly when you consider that music spectral content is often claimed to have ~ 3kHz power bandwidth it appears to me worthwhile to keep decreasing distortion by letting loop gain rise at least that far down into the audio frequency range

and I've posted the 2nd order loop gain, "flat" audio frequency gain in a simplified sim before:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/soli...erview-negative-feedback-215.html#post1434254

(sinice the sim is only exploring input tanh distortion vs loop gain I use spice tricks to just synthesize the loop gain, not a "realistic" VAS, compensation network)

Hi jcx,

These are good points, especially in regard to allowing continuing loop gain increase as frequency decreases in the audio band. It's useful to bear in mind that while higher-order distortions, like the 7th harmonic, have their harmonic amplitudes increase at higher frequency due to falling negative feedback loop gain, higher-order IM products do not behave the same way. What we more often hear or perceive is IM products, not harmonics, especially when higher frequencies are involved.

A good example is the results of a CCIF IM test where 19kHz and 20 kHz signals are present together. In this case, the higher order odd-order IM products are at lower frequencies - 7th order IM products are at 16 kHz, benefitting from higher feedback loop gain in an amplifier where loop gain falls with increases in frequency. The situation is even more extreme with the more benign even-order products, which lie at much lower frequencies, such as the second order product which lies at 1 kHz. This component will be decreased by a much larger amount due to the largely increased loop gain at 1 kHz as compared to 20 kHz in an amplifier where loop gain rolls off at 6 dB/octave.

Cheers,
Bob

is this why very high gain opamps appear to perform very well in distortion measurements?

Hi Andrew,

Yes, I think this is a part of it. Even conventionally compensated op amps tend to have a much higher gain-crossover frequency than power amplifiers, and this helps a lot. They are also not usually being called upon to have huge voltage and current swings, like a power amplifier.

Interestingly, the 30-year-old 5534 has barely measurable distortion under reasonable conditions (I used it in my THD analyzer, for example, and got great performance), but most audiophiles don't think of it as a high-end performer in terms of sonics these days. It was not made with a fully complementary IC process, for example, so NPN-centric circuits had to be used for most of it. In particular, its output stage did not benefit from fast PNP transistors. Today's good op amps have a complementary bipolar process, sometimes even oxide-isolated. Also, the basically class-B output stage of most op amps probably affects their sound more than their measurements.

Nevertheless, there are superb op amps out there for audio.

Cheers,
Bob

try for low order "smooth" open loop nonliearity and apply lots of feedback

you might point to the amount of loop gain - I'd guess the 1st op amps to be considered even acceptable had 4 MHz GBW, the 5534 can be 20 MHz with de-comp - the lowly TL07x is very good if you put a buffer in the loop

and op amps are often used in lower total gain circuits in line level applications than power amps (phono pre amps should definitely use more than one op amp)

with today's faster complementary processes unity gain stable devices with 50+ MHz GBW and 10-100 Hz open loop fc are available with low distortion at 50mA output current

in my preferred composite op amp circuits I put several op amps inside the feedback loop for as much as 120 dB loop gain at 20 KHz, 100 Mhz CFA can make good output op amps (although they do have low open loop gains of 70-90 dB and consequent "flat loop gain" over audio frequencies)

you might point to the amount of loop gain - I'd guess the 1st op amps to be considered even acceptable had 4 MHz GBW, the 5534 can be 20 MHz with de-comp - the lowly TL07x is very good if you put a buffer in the loop

and op amps are often used in lower total gain circuits in line level applications than power amps (phono pre amps should definitely use more than one op amp)

with today's faster complementary processes unity gain stable devices with 50+ MHz GBW and 10-100 Hz open loop fc are available with low distortion at 50mA output current

in my preferred composite op amp circuits I put several op amps inside the feedback loop for as much as 120 dB loop gain at 20 KHz, 100 Mhz CFA can make good output op amps (although they do have low open loop gains of 70-90 dB and consequent "flat loop gain" over audio frequencies)

Hi jcx,

These are good points.

In your preferred composite op amp circuits where you put several op amps inside the feedback loop, would you elaborate on how you stabilize the arrangement?

Cheers,
Bob

" . . . (phono pre amps should definitely use more than one op amp) . . . "

All in the same loop?

I certainly would not read it that way. I think that the point is that even MM RIAA preamps require enough equalized gain (typ 40 dB at 1 kHz, 60 dB at LF) that to get that gain with only one op amp would not leave enough loop gain for good distortion reduction by NFB.

Cheers,
Bob

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/45794-high-loop-gain-composite-op-amp-circuits.html

shows a low distortion diode clipper inside the feedback loop - you may not like the step recovery on clipping but I would usually try to size line level or headphone amplifier circuits made with these op amp techniques with considerable headroom to avoid clipping (structure system gain for >120 dB SPL output)

I believe low single digit uS clipping recovery details to unlikely to be audible especially if the clipping itself is really infrequent - few dyanmic tranducers will have as much as an octave more than 20 KHz 2nd order Fc

it is possible that better clipping recovery could be managed as promised by BJ Lurie's "nonlinear dynamic compensator" examples but I don't know of a systematic way to design such circuits - the greater access to internal stages in discrete circuits helps - as has been shown in a couple of amps here at diyAudio

phono preamps should show distortion, accuracy improvements with 2 properly chosen op amps in the feedback RIAA correction loop - you do have to shape the loop gain with local feedback around the amps to give linear stability with the RIAA feedback reducing to unity high frequency gain

typically a fast output op amp can have flat enough gain around the slower input op amp dominant pole loop gain intercept to avoid problems - fast unity gain buffers in the loop have long been popular but I see advantages to added loop gain at lower frequencies

a high current, fast, low distortion CFA output op amp allows driving very low RIAA feedback network Z at high frequency (~10-100 Ohms feedback R could be appropriate for MC) for low noise while eliminating the heavy loading thermal, ps pin common impedance errors of the input op amp

loop gain also has powerful linearizing effect on diff input linearity - 10x smaller input diff V from +20 dB audio frequency gain from a 2nd op amp in the loop gives ~ 100x less distortion from the 3rd order gm nonlinearity term that dominates in well balanced diff pair at the composit input

the same added 10x audio frequency gain means the input op amp swings 10x less V at its output too, as well as just having to drive the output op amp high Z positive input - almost certainly staying in "deep Class A" even with only 100-200 uA bias current

Last edited:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/45794-high-loop-gain-composite-op-amp-circuits.html

shows a low distortion diode clipper inside the feedback loop - you may not like the step recovery on clipping but I would usually try to size line level or headphone amplifier circuits made with these op amp techniques with considerable headroom to avoid clipping (structure system gain for >120 dB SPL output)

I believe low single digit uS clipping recovery details to unlikely to be audible especially if the clipping itself is really infrequent - few dyanmic tranducers will have as much as an octave more than 20 KHz 2nd order Fc

it is possible that better clipping recovery could be managed as promised by BJ Lurie's "nonlinear dynamic compensator" examples but I don't know of a systematic way to design such circuits - the greater access to internal stages in discrete circuits helps - as has been shown in a couple of amps here at diyAudio

phono preamps should show distortion, accuracy improvements with 2 properly chosen op amps in the feedback RIAA correction loop - you do have to shape the loop gain with local feedback around the amps to give linear stability with the RIAA feedback reducing to unity high frequency gain

typically a fast output op amp can have flat enough gain around the slower input op amp dominant pole loop gain intercept to avoid problems - fast unity gain buffers in the loop have long been popular but I see advantages to added loop gain at lower frequencies

a high current, fast, low distortion CFA output op amp allows driving very low RIAA feedback network Z at high frequency (~10-100 Ohms feedback R could be appropriate for MC) for low noise while eliminating the heavy loading thermal, ps pin common impedance errors of the input op amp

loop gain also has powerful linearizing effect on diff input linearity - 10x smaller input diff V from +20 dB audio frequency gain from a 2nd op amp in the loop gives ~ 100x less distortion from the 3rd order gm nonlinearity term that dominates in well balanced diff pair at the composit input

the same added 10x audio frequency gain means the input op amp swings 10x less V at its output too, as well as just having to drive the output op amp high Z positive input - almost certainly staying in "deep Class A" even with only 100-200 uA bias current

Hi jcx,

Thanks for describing this. It is quite a creative approach that appears to yield very good performance. I have to admit that I have not generally built circuits with two op amps in the loop in this fashion. I must admit that I also shy away from circuits where the phase lag goes beyond 180 degrees before the loop gain crossover. For things like RIAA preamps, I'm less creative, dividing the required gain across multiple closed loops.

Cheers,
Bob

It's finally happened, I've come across the impenetrable local oscillation of the outputs at... 50MHz.

It's only on the positive signals. This is a unique output stage in that the outputs are driven from a capacitive impedance, from the collectors of the drivers. Just an EF driven by collectors. I remember there as an RC netork across the B-C junction that orked most times? I thought it as in Cordell's book but I just can't find it. It is basically a snubber across the B-C I thought.

The drivers are 2SC4793/A1837, and the outputs are MJL0302/3281 or an unmatched mix, like suggested by Ostripper at one time. The oscillation begins hen I go over 20V rails. I already have 2.2R carbon comp base stoppers.

I kno there are a number of ays people have solved this problem in triple output stages but I liked the snubber option the best.

I don't expect anyone to calculate anything, I just ant to kno hat I'm looking for. My simulations appear to sho the 50MHz oscillation and indeed a 150p+47R snub across the B-C seems to be the ay to go.

The circuit is a good one of my design after all, I don't ant to reveal it ust yet...

When are you going to get a new keyboard?
They are only $8.00. Unless it's laptop.

Last edited:
It's finally happened, I've come across the impenetrable local oscillation of the outputs at... 50MHz.

It's only on the positive signals. This is a unique output stage in that the outputs are driven from a capacitive impedance, from the collectors of the drivers. Just an EF driven by collectors. I remember there as an RC netork across the B-C junction that orked most times? I thought it as in Cordell's book but I just can't find it. It is basically a snubber across the B-C I thought.

The drivers are 2SC4793/A1837, and the outputs are MJL0302/3281 or an unmatched mix, like suggested by Ostripper at one time. The oscillation begins hen I go over 20V rails. I already have 2.2R carbon comp base stoppers.

I kno there are a number of ays people have solved this problem in triple output stages but I liked the snubber option the best.

Hi keantoken,

I came up with the snubber idea in my MOSFET power amplifier with error correction. I don't recall having used it in BJT output stages, although it might be useful there as well. I refer to them as gate zobel networks on page 226 of my book in the MOSFET chapter, but unfortunately do not show a schematic there with them. I cite as a reference my MOSFET amplifier paper. That paper is available on my website at CordellAudio.com - Home.

The basic idea is to damp out resonances that can be part of forming an oscillator topology, such as a Hartley or Colpitts. The technique may very well work with BJT arrangements as well. Don't rule out the possibility it is the drivers oscillating.

It was a little unclear whether the problem you saw was in simulation or prototype, but it sounds like the latter. In that case, Triples of any type can be susceptible to power supply wiring inductances and HF feedback through the power rails. When using ordinary thriple EFs, I often recommend some small-resistance R-C filtering in the rail as it travels back to the driver and thence the pre-driver (i.e., two LPF stages, often with resistances on the order of 1 ohm and 10 ohms, respectively). If the shunt capacitors are of a moderate value, the R-C combination not only acts as an LPF, but also acts as a Zobel on the rails.

Cheers,
Bob

Yes, this is a real prototype. I simulated it and then built it. I have a 40MHz signal generator so I have some indication hen simulations and reality don't converge.

Thanks for the info. I onder if I coul find the source of the oscillation by probing the air around the traces. I suppose this ould be a job better suited for an FET probe, unfortunately I don't have one.

Okay, I hooked up the 150p+47R B-C snubbers. I am totally amazed. The sound is so much more real no. I couldn't spot any oscillation on the scope. The output impedance still has the 50MHz spike, but no more signs of actual oscillation. That last spike seems really hard to get rid of.

Just letting you guys kno it orked. :)