Bob Cordell Interview: Negative Feedback

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: clamp

Bob Cordell said:

Hi Glen. I agree. Note that, to my knowledge, Tom Holman was the first to use the rail-tracking clamp in his Apt 1 power amplifier (see my post #2154 above). It is definitely a good technique.

Hi Bob.
I there a schematic of this amp about? I googled it and the only links I get seem to be dead.

Edmond Stuart said:

OK.

BTW, as for the CFB-clamp, my website is updated (but still not finished), see: www.data-odyssey.nl ->currents project -> output stage -> details.

Cheers, Edmond.

Thanks Edmond. I'll go have a read.

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
dimitri said:

There is a 'Search' button in the upper right corner.

apt-1

Thanks for the advice, but I’ve already been there (google almost does a better job of finding DIYaudio threads than the DIYaudio search engine does). The link given in post 55 of that thread is to a corrupted .pdf file, according to three attempted downloads on my computer.

Attachments

• ar.jpg
    ar.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 433
Re: Re: CFB clamp

janneman said:
Hi Edmond,

That is one of the idiosyncracies of the forum world. You ask: anybody interested in such-and-such", and only luke-warm, if any, replies. But if you post your design, we all jump on it. For better or worse. ;)

Jan Didden

Hi Jan,

Finally, here it is (for better or worse. ;) ):
www.data-odyssey.nl
or jump directly to the details at:
http://home.tiscali.nl/data.odyssey/page5.html
(sorry for the missing schematic last Friday)

Cheers, Edmond.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Re: Re: Re: CFB clamp

Edmond Stuart said:

Hi Jan,

Finally, here it is (for better or worse. ;) ):
www.data-odyssey.nl
or jump directly to the details at:
http://home.tiscali.nl/data.odyssey/page5.html
(sorry for the missing schematic last Friday)

Cheers, Edmond.

The schematic was easy to find. Look at the link, erase the last bit, and I got your whole list of diagrams. You may want to look into that.

Jan Didden

Edmond Stuart said:

I'm using a floating supply

You may want to revisit your power supply design:

- R63 defines the CCS current and it's probably around 1mA (you didn't specify the Vcc1 and Vee1 values). This 1mA through Q35/Q38 has to account for the Q39/Q40 base current and the LM329 current. I doubt only 1mA would be on the safe side, LM329 needs a minimum current of 0.6mA. You may choose to add resistors from the LM329 devices to Vcc1/Vee1 and/or increase the CCS current to 3...5mA.

- Even if it's low noise and low impedance, the LM329 would benefit from a 1uF film in parallel. Over 2KHz, the LM329 dynamic impedance increases exponentially.

- It is most likely that the whole PS won't be stable, unless you compensate the loop by throttling the BW of the error amp.

PMP amp

syn08 said:
You may want to revisit your power supply design:

- R63 defines the CCS current and it's probably around 1mA (you didn't specify the Vcc1 and Vee1 values). This 1mA through Q35/Q38 has to account for the Q39/Q40 base current and the LM329 current. I doubt only 1mA would be on the safe side, LM329 needs a minimum current of 0.6mA. You may choose to add resistors from the LM329 devices to Vcc1/Vee1 and/or increase the CCS current to 3...5mA.

- Even if it's low noise and low impedance, the LM329 would benefit from a 1uF film in parallel. Over 2KHz, the LM329 dynamic impedance increases exponentially.

- It is most likely that the whole PS won't be stable, unless you compensate the loop by throttling the BW of the error amp.

First, this is a current project, not yet finished. So it will certainly leave room for improvements.

R63 defines NOT the CCS current, rather Vbe/R65 ~= 1.4mA of which most of it flows through the LM329.

As for your suggestion: "add resistors from the LM329 devices to Vcc1/Vee1" No, that's not a good idea, as it will spoil the PSRR and the division ratio of R62/R64. BTW, Vcc1/Vee1 = +/- 50V, see the schematic of the OPS.

As for noise, thanks for the hint. I've put 1uF across the LM329s.

As for stability, this PSU is stable, although the step response shows a small overshoot (10%). I've cured this by increasing the BW, see C19 and C20.

Thx for your remarks.

Re: PMP amp

Edmond Stuart said:

R63 defines NOT the CCS current, rather Vbe/R65 ~= 1.4mA of which most of it flows through the LM329.

Correct.

Even after silently changing R65/R66 from 560 ohm to 470 ohm, you are certainly still very careful not to waste a couple of mA's, I'll let Al Gore know about. If the Q39/Q40 base current is so small, why have you chosed those expensive 20W TO220 devices for the series regulators? This is supposed to be a poor man's amp, so a little care with the costs won't harm.

As for your suggestion: "add resistors from the LM329 devices to Vcc1/Vee1" No, that's not a good idea, as it will spoil the PSRR and the division ratio of R62/R64. BTW, Vcc1/Vee1 = +/- 50V, see the schematic of the OPS.

Right. Could you give us some numbers regarding how the input voltage change/ripple will modify the LM329 I/V, and how this would impact the whole power supply PSRR? And how this power supply PSRR would impact the amp performance?

As for stability, this PSU is stable, although the step response shows a small overshoot (10%). I've cured this by increasing the BW, see C19 and C20.

Even the PGP power supply was originally stable in your simulations, isn't it?

But you are right, alternatively, increasing the BW may work as well. Do you think 1GHz bandwidth for this power supply will be enough? As a poor man looking for an amp, I am ready to build it on microstrip technology.

Re: Re: PMP amp

syn08 said:
Correct.

Even after silently changing R65/R66 from 560 ohm to 470 ohm, you are certainly still very careful not to waste a couple of mA's, I'll let Al Gore know about.

That's why I hate class-heat.

If the Q39/Q40 base current is so small, why have you chosed those expensive 20W TO220 devices for the series regulators? This is supposed to be a poor man's amp, so a little care with the costs won't harm.

You're right, TO220 devices are a little overdone (regrettably, my simple simulator lacks a price list). I've replaced them by BD130/140. Are you happy now? BTW, remember, this website is still under construction. The only reason why I made it public in this early stage is that I was forced to do so, because someone else here posted -before his turn- a less optimal variant of CFB-clamp.

Right. Could you give us some numbers regarding how the input voltage change/ripple will modify the LM329 I/V, and how this would impact the whole power supply PSRR? And how this power supply PSRR would impact the amp performance?

The PSRR wrt Vcc2 is -88dB and wrt the output voltage -124dB, simulated at 1kHz.

Even the PGP power supply was originally stable in your simulations, isn't it?

Wrong! Not investigating a loop stability doesn't mean that I was saying it was stable.
Anyhow, this PSU comprises a simple CFP or Sziklai stage, which are stable, not only according to my sims, but even in real life.

But you are right, alternatively, increasing the BW may work as well. Do you think 1GHz bandwidth for this power supply will be enough? As a poor man looking for an amp, I am ready to build it on microstrip technology.

I'd really love if you would build this amplifier too.

Cheers.

PS: I didn't know you could be so funny.

Re: Re: Re: PMP amp

Edmond Stuart said:

I'd really love if you would build this amplifier too.

Well, who knows? One problem I am experiencing is that according to all govenment charts I do not qualify as a poor man.

I'm done with the XLR-RCA converter design and PCB (2.8"x1.75" fitting both channels), to the purist's horror, a full IC (LM4562/OPA211) solution with 0.05% precision SMD resistors) and in the process of evaluating the results. As much as I love tweaking discrete amps, sometimes you have to give up and face reality: these bits of silicon offer a level of performance that makes any other approach look like an overkilling expensive adventure. So far, I am unable to measure any XLR-RCA conversion contribution to the amp noise or distortions, as long as the signal is kept under 2V (which is about double of what's required). I will update the web sites ASAP.

dimitri said:

do you think your source will be matched with that precision?

opa211 will be available in March

Probably not, but I don't see any reason why the amp CMMR shouldn't be much better than the source. YMMV, but I'd happily pay $5 for 8 precision resistors rather than spending an aftenoon sorting 1% parts to that tolerance.

OPA211 is available today, OPA2211 (the dual version) will be available soon.

syn08 said:

No, but the CMRR is strictly correlated with the resistor matching. The whole reson to exist for a differential input is the CMRR. YMMV, but I'd happily pay $5 for 8 precision resistors rather than spending an aftenoon sorting 1% parts to that tolerance.

OPA211 is available today, OPA2211 (the dual version) will be available soon.

Have you considered using the THAT Corp InGenius 1200 Balanced Line Receiver? I think it does it all in one 8-pin DIP. Their full-complementary dielectrically isolated dirty sand might be just as good if not better than National's.

Cheers,
Bob

Bob Cordell said:
Have you considered using the THAT Corp InGenius 1200 Balanced Line Receiver? I think it does it all in one 8-pin DIP. Their full-complementary dielectrically isolated dirty sand might be just as good if not better than National's.

Cheers,
Bob

Hi Bob,

I don't think so. Five ppm distortion (at 1kHz?) don't match the performance of the PGP amp. That (pun intended) piece of sand is too dirty. :)

Cheers, Edmond.