Electro Voice E-V1244

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I picked this up in a trade for services. It is a strange and beautiful little Amplifier. I went to the reference library and pulled a copy of the schematic. If vacuum tubes could wear clothing, then I would say this amp has some valves dressed up in silicon suits. :D

I don't know what year it was manufactured and apparently it is a variation of the 1144 model. It is ultra compact and I guess it would be the equivalent of today’s smaller gain clones?

I just thought it was so odd and I wanted to share it with you folks. It measures 8-1/2" wide(215mm) by 3" high(75mm) x 10-1/2" Deep(270mm) It died a horrible death and I may fix it some day...when ever that is?
Schematic

Specifications & Bom

Cheers,

Shawn.

Foot note: Though this item is not really related, I guess I should mention that I'm a huge fan of all things EV and I covet Voice of the Theatre products.

Attachments

• ev1244_front.jpg
    ev1244_front.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 453
TomWaits said:
If vacuum tubes could wear clothing, then I would say this amp has some valves dressed up in silicon suits. :D

I would of said it like this...

"If transistors could wear clothing, then I would say this amp has some transistors dressed up in valve (tube) suits."

Yes but I catch your "drift" and I like it.:D Classic/ubiquitous late 50's - early 60's solid state design, can even be seen in early AM pocket transistor radio's (scaled down in power).

Edit- If you like that stuff...you should start collecting first gen transitor car radio's. Simply amazing output stages w/ single giant Delco power germanium w/single bolt, running class A with a big output transformer.

nice...... xfmr driven germaniums were the high-tech designs of their day. i notice one departure from tube design in this circuit, however is the bipolar power supply. bipolar tube supplies were used with tube op amps, but i've never seen a tube audio amp design that used one, probably because a tube directly feeding a speaker was a nasty impedance mismatch......

just for historical value, i'd keep the original transistors in it, unless you intend on using it extensively. in that case, i'd "siliconize" it, and keep the germaniums in a box in case you ever want to sell it.

Re: Re: Electro Voice E-V1244

djk said:
Germanium!

No bias control.
Hey wise old man, :geezer: do you have data/specs for these ol’ Bendix ?

infinia said:
I would of said it like this...

"If transistors could wear clothing, then I would say this amp has some transistors dressed up in valve (tube) suits."
Yes.
Classic/ubiquitous late 50's - early 60's solid state design, can even be seen in early AM pocket transistor radio's (scaled down in power)...you should start collecting first gen transitor car radio's. Simply amazing output stages w/ single giant Delco power germanium w/single bolt, running class A with a big output transformer.

I’ll take a longer look at the radio schematics at the reference library the next time I go there, they have hundreds or even thousands of the service manuals for car radios and I never really paid attention to them.

unclejed613 said:
just for historical value, i'd keep the original transistors in it, unless you intend on using it extensively. in that case, i'd "siliconize" it, and keep the germaniums in a box in case you ever want to sell it.

If I do put any effort into its restoration I would intend to set it up for daily use and abuse so I would pull most of the components if not all. ;)

I also have considered using it as an old home for new parts: DOGC amplifier and Rod Elliot Phono and preamp circuits. I figure both projects would require the same amount of time and love. But then again I could go fishing with djk and those geramanium TO3’s polished-up may make nice lures?:cool:

Shawn.

I have one of these and have owned it since new!!

I have one of these that I bought new in 1967. It was the first system I bought with my own money when I was a freshly minted lieutenant in the US Air Force. I bought from Audio Doctors in Champaign Illinois. This is a great college town with the University of Illinois campus nearby.

I think I paid $175 USD for it. I may even have the receipt. I also bought a pair of Fisher 3 ways to go with it. I still have the Fishers too......but they have seen much experimenting and many driver combinations......actually I am redoing them again right now.

Back to the 1144. I will post some pictures soon. It has been in storage for a while and I dug it out to test the above speakers. Still works well. The lights are burned out, and I may replace them if I can find some to fit it.

I have kept this amp in good shape and was thinking of selling it, but this old post makes me want to perhaps use it more. I may just hook up in my library with some bookshelf speakers I built.

I would love to know more about the design and the components.

I am more of a speaker builder than a hardware building geek. I do have some vintage stuff though, Like a great pair of AR 3a that I use all the time, and 2 GAS grandson amps that get lots of use.

Lets revive this thread and dig up some 1144 information.

That amp has some fine memories of my batch days......many a young lady charmed by the music it produced........including my wife of 41 years!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.