Is it a bad relay? - Rotel 990BX

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I have a Rotel 990BX Power amplifier that I think has a bad relay:

With the preamp on and music playing, when you switch the Rotel:

*ON* - Right speaker comes on immediately, then after a 3-counts, the protection light goes off and Left speaker comes on.

*OFF* - Protection light and Left speaker go off immediately - Right speaker trails off like when you lose a radio station driving through the sparser parts of New Mexico.

The protection/relay is supposed to mute both speakers on power up so there is no "pop", also it mutes them on power down - I think its just not working for the right side

I took it by a local electronics repair place and after plugging it in and turning it on, they said that it was obviously something major since they could hear the relay/protection circuit engage and disengage, therefore something was shorted and dangerous DC voltage was going to fry my speakers. I did thank him and offered to pay him for his advice but he refused. Could he be right though?

Rotel 990BX relay

Thanks!
- Sam

Well, I replaced the relay and it still had the same problem!

After a few hours of trying to figure out what it could be I noticed that the stripe on one of the 3-wire internal cables leading to the relay pcb wasn't going to the dot marking on the connecter, it was reversed.

Of course it worked perfectly after I flipped it around...lol

Ah well, at least I know the relay is fresh!

Thanks again for your help,
-Sam

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.