Yamaha AX-500 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th January 2007, 06:06 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Yamaha AX-500

Hi There

Ive been given a Yamaha AX-500 Amplifier but the power transformer is not working . Ive tried getting hold of an original transformer with no luck . Does anybody know of any other transformer that can be used in this amplifer .

Thanks Clapster
Old 16th January 2007, 08:58 PM   #2
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Clapster,
Hmmm, you do like to have transformer issues, don't you?

You will need two transformers. One will give you your + - 60 V rails (?) and the other for your low voltage stuff. I don't know off-hand what the ratings are.

-Chris
Old 16th January 2007, 09:22 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi There Chris

I must admit , it does look a bit bad on the transformer issue , he he he , what are the chances of been given an amplifier with the exact problem as the one you have . Ive been told that this Yamaha amplifier is a very good bit of kit ( when its working ) .
Ive checked the transormer myself and i can read the high voltage but there are no low voltage readings .The transformer seems to be a bit more complicated than that of the Rotel because it is linked to a voltage selector switch at the rear.Would you be able to bypass this switch all together and use a 220v trasformer as we do not use 110v here .I hope this makes scence as im quite new to this sort of thing .

Thanks Clapster
Old 16th January 2007, 10:14 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

clapster
Have you tried( Partstore.com ) . I did a brief search and found a mains power transformer for a AX-596,AX-550 and a RXV-396 maybe one of those might be in your ballpark!
I see no problem by-passing the selector switch if the unit is for your own personel use. I had to do that to a Yamaha CDX-930 I could get a 120 vac only I couldn't find a multi-voltage transformer.
Dave
Old 16th January 2007, 10:59 PM   #5
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Clapster,
Does the primary have a resistance reading? I have seen bad voltage selectors before as well. The secondaries may possibly short, but I doubt they would go open.

So, if you have primary continuity, measure the AC voltages on the secondaries.

This on also may burn out the 22R fuse resistor on the negative rail to front end supply, I believe they sub it with a 4R7 now, flameproof.

-Chris
Old 17th January 2007, 08:46 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi There

Do you think a 55V+55V 225 TOROIDAL TRANSFORMER would do the trick in this amplifer .

Many Thanks Clapster
Old 17th January 2007, 08:48 PM   #7
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Clapster,
I'd use an EI transformer if I were you. Just compare the core size for the correct wattage.

-Chris
Old 17th January 2007, 09:02 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi There Chris

Are you suggesting me using an EI Transformer due to the fact that the amplifier has a voltage selector switch or is it due to another reason . Sorry for all the questions but this is all so very new to me , until 2 weeks ago i did not even know what the inside of an amplifer looked like . I must say though that this forum is brilliant as what i have learnt in this short space of time from the likes of people such as yourself and many others is great and much appreciated .

Many Thanks Clapster
Old 18th January 2007, 12:44 AM   #9
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Clapster,
Quote:
Are you suggesting me using an EI Transformer due to the fact that the amplifier has a voltage selector switch or is it due to another reason .
Better line garbage rejection. There is nothing wrong with EI transformers and they are often passed over due to fads. The original was an EI, right?

-Chris
Old 18th January 2007, 07:28 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hi There Chris

Yes the original one is a EI Transformer . Do you by any chance know of a webiste were i can do some reading up on transformers to get a better understanding of all the technical bits that one needs to know ie: rail voltage , wattage etc.

Kind Regards

Hide this!Advertise here!