How far can a pair of SAP15 being pushed into a 4 ohm???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Safe operating are and the maximal ratings (sissipation) don't enough. Then you'll need 2 pairs of them (4 pcs per channel). For PA I would use even 3 pairs .
And for 200W-rms at 4ohm you'll need 50-55V idle rails. Maybe the 45V you wrote is the loaded value of the rails?

I know one amplifier, which use 1pair of MJL21193/94, with +/-50V rails, and gives about 200W 4ohms, every night in a disco club. I'm still impressed, that it still working. I would not recommend to build 200W amplifier with one pair of any BJT-s I know.

sajti

Hi,
how does sap15 vary from sap16? I have 16 data.

Give me some data to work with and I'll do some numbers.
Vdc @ quiescent,
smoothing caps,
regulation,
maximum heatsink temperature or Tc,
Tj max,
Vce0 max,
Ic @ 30Vce
Ic @ 45Vce
Ic @100Vce

Do you want speakers limited to moderate types with phase angle <=45degrees or severe type with phase angle <=60degrees?

You probably mean the 150 watt SAP15N/SAP15P !
Problem with the SAP15N/P is their case size, accounting for a high R case-to-sink. For 200watts/4 Ohm you will need something like a 0.10-0.15 C/W heatsink to handle the max dissipation of a single pair at 45Vdc rails in 4 ohms.
The total max dissipation of the determines the power handling capability, not just the device and number.
Possible, but not economical. (it is also possible to get 200W/4 from 45Vdc rails)
Beter to invest both in output devices and heatsinks.
The economical division generally is an equal share.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.