Question about amplifier output and woofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, my main system is multi amp, four to be exact. My amp driving the 2 sub in an H/K Citation 7.1. Here are the specs.

Power Output:
4 x 150 watts @ 8 Ohms
4 x 240 watts @ 4 Ohms
2 x 150 watts + 1 x 450 watts @ 8 Ohms
2 x 450 watts @ 8 Ohms bridged

Right now my woofers are Eminence Omega pro at 8Ohm.

I would like to try another kind of woofers, maybe something else like DVC woofer at 2 X 4Ohm.

This amp is very powerful at 2 X 450 watts at 8Ohm in bridged mode.

What would be the best for me, woofer at 8 Ohm and keep it bridged or try a DVC woofer at 2 X 4Ohm and put a Y cable and feed 240 watts at 4Ohm into each voice coil.

And BTW, any info for some good DVC home audio woofer 15'', must be 2 X 4 Ohm per coil. Thanks

I have fixed a number of these amplifiers and I cannot recommend even using one in mono-bridge let alone using one to drive subwoofers. Its a nice amplifier for full range light duty. You start to push them and they go boom. Get an old work horse like a Crown DC300 and run the subs with that.

There are a number of parts that are unavailable for this amplifier already so I suggest light duty or sell it.

I'm not even sure we're speaking about the same amp. This amp is probably the most powerful amp I ever have. I have tried some pro serie amp like the Yamaya P2602m and some others brands and they are not even close to the H/K.
For the parts, they are ordinary transistors, I have the shem and opened the top cover and all transistors are not specials ones.

Hi,
the clues are in the spec.
A very good amp will manage about 1.8 to 1.9 times the power into half the load impedance. That one only manages 1.6times.
A good bridgeable amp can do double the power into double the impedance. That one can't.
A reliable amp should be able to drive a reactive load to full power without stepping outside the temperature derated SOAR. There is no way to assess this from the spec, except, I have found that an amp that can drive a half load resistance is usually in the ballpark for load impedance. i.e. safe and reliable into 2r0 indicates adequate into 4ohm (reactive), or safe and reliable into 4r0 equates to adequate into 8ohm (reactive).

On the information published, your amp should be safe using 8ohm speakers and if you want to bridge it then use 16ohm speakers.

Or risk blowing it on sustained sub duty.

ostie01

Unfortunately we are talking about the same amplifier. It is a beautiful amplifier and very heavy. It has a very nice power supply and 4 individual channel modules that will come out easily for repair. I can honestly say that out of the dozen or so that left the shop where I work (I won't name an exact number) all have come back for service. Some have used two channels in bridge mode to run a center channel and the result has been to repair both channels. Others had problems trying to drive speakers with a 4 ohm nominal impedance. Its a fully complimentary design and sounds very good. Unfortunately it has some weakness and some of that lies in the output stage with its plastic outputs and simply a lack in the number of outputs and some design flaws.

I keep a cardboard box labeled Citation 7.1 on a shelf and that box is filled with the needed replacement parts to fix these amplifiers.

This amplifier will live for a long time if not called upon to do low impedance work. I agree 100% with andrewT to use it on a 8 ohm load. Personally, I would put it on ebay and let it go down the road if all that you are looking for is a subwoofer amplifier.
Pick up an old relic of some type and run your subs with that. A classic example of a good sub amp would be a DC300 or an Altec Lansing 9444. The commercial Altec is designed to run 24/7 and has a very well built output stage and is cheap or was until I posted this. Usually $100 will buy either a Crown or Altec.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.