Printing on metal? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th October 2001, 04:34 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

I have built an amplifier and I want to label a few things on the metal case. What are some ways to do this? I have looked at silkscreening, but I was hoping for some other alternatives such as some type of paper I could print on and then transfer somehow?

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 16th October 2001, 04:53 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I have not tried it, but the people who make the paper that you use for printing circuit boards claim that you can also use it to make a sort of decal that will serve for labels. Anything you can print on a laser printer or copy on a copier should be doable.
Try Mouser or Digikey for the paper.

Grey
Old 16th October 2001, 08:29 AM   #3
AuroraB is offline AuroraB  Norway
diyAudio Member

Default Printing material

There is a product called Quick mark imaging film, which exists both as plastic foils and metal foils, an excellent product for making decals and front panels. The product used to be called Scotchcal, then later 3M Dynamark. Not sure if Quick Mark is also a 3M product.

You make a master on film, PC and any drawing pgm, and copy the film to the foil like any other PCB. Then develop with the special deveopler, fix, and that's it. I have metal panels that have been used for more than 20 years ( Scothcal Alu-foil).
Old 16th October 2001, 02:17 PM   #4
tvi is offline tvi  Australia
diyAudio Member

I posted how I have made some laser transfer pcbs in this <a href="http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=676"><u>thread</u></a> it may be of help, cheak out the link in my post too.

Another option are the<a href="http://www.alps.co.jp/press/new1999/f0927-e.htm"><u> ALPS micro dry</u></a> or an inkjet printer and some of the <a href="http://www.starshipmodeler.com/reviews/pre_inkjet.htm"><u>decal kits</u></a> that are available in model making stores.

Regards
James

The links will open in your current browser window, you can select to open in a new window if you want.
Old 18th October 2001, 10:36 PM   #5
haldor is offline haldor  United States
diyAudio Member

Grey,

I have used the printed circuit board paper (actually the stuf I use is blue plastic sheets) to make decals and it works fine if you can get the metal hot enough to bond to the toner. It works best on thin sheet metal, I don't think you could get a thick aluminum panel hot enough using a household iron.

The image is quite durable as long as you don't try to create images with tiny dots (they will fall off with only minimal wear).

I have a color laser printer at work and it is great, I can make full color iron on decals for my boxes.

Phil Ouellette

Hide this!Advertise here!