New Project 88

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here's a few shots...

Face plate is walnut... knobs are aluminum and something a little wild from the tropics. It's all in an old TiVo DVR box. Works great. Quiet.

Attachments

• p1020060.jpg
    p1020060.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 653
Which opamps did you settle for... I used opa 2132 and 2134 (had one left of each)... It is certainly ok, but not with the transparency you get form a simple transistor buffer.

Just got back from the shops (had to visit 3 to get all the components, but I am ready to try the Graham Maynard transistor buffer - I saw lineup mentioned it before in a class-a opamp discussion.

Cant wait to get it done... its just so damn hot here in the Cape today, I don't feel like lifting a finger.

NE5532's I have some BB 2134's I'll play with also...

I'm in preamp mode for the next month... I will finish his P97 in a discarded sat tv chassis, then on to complete a discreet class A pre. Pre's are a pain in the a$$ 'cause of all the shopping for unobtainium switches & pots. I'm just cheap.

From Rod...

While op-amps have something of a bad name in audiophile circles, what must be remembered is that between the music leaving the musician's instrument and arriving at your ears, there is every probability that it has already passed through somewhere between 10 to 100 op-amps - in the mixer (usually more than once), in external effects units, tape machines (analogue or digital), and finally in the CD player itself.

Many of these are not as good as the ones used in this design, and to dismiss a design simply because it uses an op-amp or three is to finish up spending far more than is necessary to obtain the same sonic quality. This is not to say that a good valve preamp (for example) will not sound better (or perhaps just different), but the "op-amp sound" is a myth which should not be perpetuated (and this is from someone who uses a valve and op-amp preamp, both of my own design).

Trust me, the majority of my experience, if you can call it that is with chips... I'm only starting to dable in transistor magic now. But if the results obtained so far from rather simle circuits are something to go by, I think solidstate will always have a large following who will refuse to listen to anything with a chip in...

Come to think of it, I have one of the chips you used somewhere... just got to scratch hard enough, they realy do sound nice for the price. although you can probably buy 10 transistors for the price of an opamp these days. What would we do without sample programmes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.