Transformer stepup question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The stevens and billington stepup I am currently using has settings of 14, 20 and 26 db gain. Currently it is set to 20 and the phono stage is set to 46 db gain. Would I get better results turning the phono stage gain right down to 40 db and putting the stepup to 26db gain? In addition this would remove the need for the current resistive and capacitive loadings which might also improve matters further. Any one experimented with these kinds of changes or have anu ideas?

It depends on your cart. You probably know this already. But 1:20 and 47k load result in just over 100Ohm load. Perfect for the Denon DL-103 and many other carts. On the other hand, if you can set the gain of the phono stage you can also just replace the 47k resistor with a lower value.

I don't think there will be a sonic difference regardless of what course you take. Like if a DIYer needs a reason other than for the hell of it.;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.