Make up a laboratory from scratch.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
make up a laboratory from scratch

Hi to everybody!

I need some of your important suggestion!
I'm willing to built in my house a little laboratory with all the necessaries things and instruments.

i would like to know,, according with yours diy's experience, what do you think is really needed.

Just skipping the obivious tools as screw drivers, tighter...and so on and so forth.....

i would like to hit the spat with an oscilloscope and other instruments that are really needed to be able to built your own project and stuff.

I would like specifically to know if it's possible to have an osilloscope and ... i don't know,....for instance something that measures the tdh+N (....with an output module to plug to the computer with a software...) and if those modules would be as effective as a dedicated oscilloscope.

I aware for your responces.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Stefano.

My suggestion is that the first thing to have is a high quality and complete multimeter. I own one Metrix X56 (to sell) and two Metrix X57. I don't even use all the functions but some are very nice for audio work : peak, RMS, dB, Hz, Ohm, Farad.

yes i do agree!

How much for one of those?

I have seen on pass lab's section a similar post....about the distortion analyzer.
I didn't really understand if an external module for the coputer would be consider as effective or not.
I just fond UPV analyzer that looks great!

Does anybody have other ideas?

tanks.

how about a circuit simulator

you might wana get a circuit simulator

circuit maker
multisim
orcad
superspice

they real help out alot
and are high accurate save alot time
student edition are good

when build circuit get a bread board and junction wires

do you know how to make circuit board
thier alot ways go about it

if you look for a muilti meter true rms

A Variac is mondo important and i have a nice Fluke 189 Multimeter. When looking for RMS readings, make sure they state the frequency range the meter is accurate for. most meters are only accurate for 60 or 400hz rms and not for higher frequencies.

A bench power supply that is adjustable and regulated.

definitly a good scope. and a signal generator, function generator if you can.

This is where i would start for a lab.

Zc

The function generator and the distometer of Maxs's link seem to be very similar to those published by Ian Hickman in Electronics World.

My most useful instruments are lab power supplies (home made, two 0 to 30 V, 1 to 3A, and two +/- 15 V) a little function generator (for most work, very low distorsion is not needed) and a scope.

Look around for an old FETMETER , I bought 2 for about $10 each. Unlike digital meters they are good for measuring AC volts up to 100Khz, (digital meters give inaccurate AC volt measurements above approx 5Khz)

Also
signal generator
Dummy loads
An old speaker for testing that you dont mind blowing(just in case)
A descent bench light (often overlooked)
lots of cables/leads for meters & scopes
cables with alligator clips at the ends
An old scope is allways nice to have.
A handheld (digital) scope is great, I use it for the AC Voltmeter & freq meter, the actual scope display is too low res to be any use for audio.

Lots of outlets to plug your equipment into!

I've got a whole bench full of stuff,and only one power-strip to use.. 6 outlets just isn't enough,I need 6 more! Swapping plugs around,and trying to figure out which one is for the function generator is a hassle,in the middle of a project.

Then you realise you just unplugged your soldering station,and now have to wait for it to warm up again. :xeye:

mightydub said:
any thoughts on using one of the various PC based programs (e.g. Speaker Workshop, etc.) as a "virtual" function generator?

Anyone have experience with the PC based oscilloscopes?
PC-based function generators are very good for audio work, if you can get a clean signal out of your sound card. Very flexible, very accurate.
I can recommend two (for Linux): Audacity and Baudline's integrated function generator.

Sound-card based oscilloscopes are OK but you have to accept the limitations: most sound cards will not sample at rates > 96kHz and you just won't see if your op-amp circuit is oscillating at 1~10MHz! So you need a true oscilloscope for that.

Baudline is just fantastic for audio work. It's not exactly an oscilloscope, but it has some neat functions; check their website for screenshots.

I haven't used any of the PC-based digital storage scopes, but I assume they are OK for many things, unfortunately the limited resolution of the high-speed A-D converters means they are not really suited to some kinds of measurements (that's for the inexpensive ones).

All in all I would say having a PC (or two) in the Lab is a necessity nowadays, and given their low prices, they are certainly not a luxury.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
You need an analogue oscilloscope, minimum bandwidth 20MHz. The most important thing you need is bench space. Put a shelf up above your work bench for your test gear - don't let it live on the work space. A PC with decent soundcard will allow you to do audio measurements. One good DVM is a must, but I see no reason to require true RMS or good accuracy at higher frequencies - use the soundcard etc for that. Lots of sockets are a must as is good lighting, and you need lots of storage (steel shelving is good, but ugly)

What do I have?

11 double sockets (so that's 22 switched outlets)
1.5m high frequency fluorescent (to avoid flicker)
300MHz digital oscilloscope
60MHz analogue oscilloscope
Dedicated audio test set (ex-broadcast)
Fluke 89 DVMs
Component bridge
Variac
Various power supplies
Lots of leads and places to hang them
Lots of components in component cabinets

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Stefanoo,

A good DVM is a must, and you will want sooner or later to know of much it will cost you to get it calibrated.

HP - Agilent are sold on eBay from time to time. A 61/2 digit like the HP 34401A shows at around 500 Euro.

Agilent will sell directly to you also. They have many others models (41/2, 51/2 ... digits). You will get very friendly informations in Italy from a very good Eng. : Ing. Carlo Canziani at carlo_canziani@agilent.com. Calibration informations will be there available.

You might think also to look at www.hpw-works.com for some software analysis (THD, ... using the fast Fourier transform). Seller is Hanspeter Widmer, here a fine diyaudio member, that gives a very friendly and generous help. A very good working tool!

If in need of something nice, have a look at www.spectraplus.com for the spectra software. You will have to add our local IVA taxe to the total to be paid. It works very good.

For hardware tools, there is Steve Hodge in Great Britain, at www.test-measure.co.uk. He is able to find many things from TTi, as power supplies, function generators .... A fantastic man, very friendly and honest. You will have no problem with him.

Weller is very good as soldering iron, tips and parts to repair it if needed are easily found. Not that cheap though.

I hope this help.

Best regards

rephil

thanks a lot to all of you guys!!
I'm really glad to have gotten all this usefull posts.
I will check out every single link that are quoted in here....just as soon as i will be better (emem i got the stomach flue.....bleeaa!!)

Anyway....a quick thing...

on the other section (pass labs) i've seen a post about distorsion analyzer and this thing just hit my attention.
Do you guys know about this instrument: UPV Analyzer?

(http://www.rohde-schwarz.com/)

Does anybody have more information about this? Cause....accordingly with the description, i would be the best most complete instrument for anybody who amis to buitt and repair amplifier.

Well..hope to figure out very soon a good set of instruments and built my own laboratory.
Just an estimate.....how much do you guys think would cost a lobortatory from scratch?

Tdh analyzer
oscilloscope
Welder
necessary tools
multimeter
software (i have orcad 10.5 and cadence 15.5 with all simulators)

Thanks again for the attention payed.

Best Regards,
Stefano.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
How much does it cost? How long is a piece of string?

Let's see, you could buy an Audio Precision Cascade System Two (I think they're about $20k) as your distortion analyser. I got lucky and paid £47.50 for my broadcast-surplus distortion analyser. If you have to ask the question then you shouldn't be spending much because you don't really know what you're doing or what you're going to use the equipment for. I can't conceive of any audio laboratory requiring a 6 1/2 digit DVM - 3 1/2 digits are perfectly adequate and 4 1/2 are nice to have.

99% of faults could be fixed with:

20MHz analogue oscilloscope (£100 second-hand, £300 new)
10MHz function generator (£100 new)
2 x 3 1/2 digit DVM (£10 and upwards each)
Decent soundcard and software

It's not what tools you have, it's what you do with them...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.