Adcom GFP-555II Schematic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Michael,
My personal opinion would be that you are mistaken there. This has nothing to do with the Adcom. I used to sell, and for years serviced all these things. Your Shure M97 is better than many, but it has a rough sound. To mount an improved cartridge you need to improve the tone arm and reduce the bearing noise. If you don't you will certainly hear the rumble and the cantilever would probably be damaged by the arm friction.

So the improvement is turntable, then cartridge at the very least. Both together would be better. Looking at tables, cheap ones will never do. You really must buy one with very good platter bearings and a decent suspension (although that can be improved). The arm designed for the turntable is normally the best. I use teh stock Thorens arms, because they are better than many people give them credit for. Then again, there are those who like to spend money so they can say how much work they have done. I would recommend something along the lines of the TD-125 MKII or better. I can't afford a new table, but there are some from Thorens I'd buy if I won the lottery. Linn would be another good choice here. Forget the fancy ones, or the cheap "wonders". Once you hear a real table you will have a better understanding. The lack of rumble and other mechanical noises will be the major table difference, plus speed stability (yeah, it's quartz but that doesn't make it better by itself).

If I looked at the diagram of your phono section there are probably some changes that would improve that also.

-Chris

Hi Chris, can I disagree with you on something:

To mount an improved cartridge you need to improve the tone arm and reduce the bearing noise. If you don't you will certainly hear the rumble and the cantilever would probably be damaged by the arm friction.-Chris [/B]

1. cantilever damage - it is too much
2. Technics 1200 MKII weigh 27.6 lb, has rumble (A Weighted) 78 db which is about 20 db better than Thorens 125 - 160. You have to stay very close to speaker to hear the rumble.

I can't afford a new table, but there are some from Thorens I'd buy if I won the lottery. Linn would be another good choice here. Forget the fancy ones, or the cheap "wonders". Once you hear a real table you will have a better understanding. The lack of rumble and other mechanical noises will be the major table difference, plus speed stability (yeah, it's quartz but that doesn't make it better by itself).

If I looked at the diagram of your phono section there are probably some changes that would improve that also.

-Chris [/B]

3. I would like to win the lottery too, but for now I'll stick to my TT
4. To look at the diagram of my phono section (Adcom 555) was my original intention in this thread.

Good night, Michael

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Michael,
Did you get that 540 cartridge? how it is?
Yes, it's just sitting there in it's box until I can get things ready. I'm dying to hear it.

what phono stage,
I'm planning on the Marantz 3650 or SC-9. I will also try a new Cyrus Pre. Then, there are the ones I have built / building. Who knows? One thing for sure. The Marantz phono board as used in the 3650 and SC-9 are the very best I have ever heard to date.
What do you think about Denon DL 160 or 103?
Everyone seems to like them. I haven't heard one that I know of.

2. Technics 1200 MKII weigh 27.6 lb, has rumble (A Weighted) 78 db which is about 20 db better than Thorens 125 - 160.
The 125 MKII is much quieter than the 160 types. The difference is amazing. Take specs with a grain of salt when comparing bearing noise. I have no doubt that your table is good, but I sincerely doubt it is the same or better than the better Thorens or Linn tables. Historically, the Japanese mindset is all about build quick and fix issues with electronics or some other adjustments. The German idea is to build things exactly right with precision. It's a mindset.

Anyway, you have a good table then. Enjoy it with a good cartridge.

-Chris

Info needed

i got GFP-555 on ebay and it seems like it was repaired previously and volume potenciometer got replaced with something cheap and awful.

I want to put ALPS in it but I dont know what is the original potenciometer nominal.
If you have schematics could you look it up please?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.